The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-19-2017, 08:54 PM

Default New Tube Amp Day!

I've owned and recently sold two tube amps (Epi Valve Jr combo, and Vox Nighttrain Combo). Having the need to get back that valve tone, I took advantage of GC president day Sale coupon and went for a Bugera Infinium V22. So far I'm thrilled with it. It has way more clean headroom than the Vox ever did. I haven't cranked it yet, but will update this post once I do.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:22 PM

Get a set of these (they're what I'm running in my V22):

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

- and you may never need another amp; BTW, spring the extra $5 each for matching triodes in the preamp tubes - really smooths out the clean tone and makes the OD more controllable IME...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Old 02-20-2017, 09:26 AM

Nice. Tubey goodness. Steve has a wealth of knowledge about this particular amp - if you have questions he's your guy!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-21-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Get a set of these (they're what I'm running in my V22):

http://www.thetubestore.com/Shop-by-...remium-Package

- and you may never need another amp; BTW, spring the extra $5 each for matching triodes in the preamp tubes - really smooths out the clean tone and makes the OD more controllable IME...

Use it well, often, and LOUD...
Thank you for the information. I like to have it and not need it yet. Will be picking up the tube set soon.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:18 PM

So my particular Amp was one of the ones that had "noisy tubes", that is, they rattled. I read about it but couldn't believe it. After cranking the volume, I certainly heard it. So I went to my local music store and got all new Electro Harmonix tubes and no more noisy tubes. Down the road I will experiment with better tubes. I just wanted to be sure it was actually noisy tubes and it was. Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased with the amp. The clean headroom is way better than the Vox Nighttrain was. And I really like the dirty Channel. Also, I find the mid boost to be a nice touch. The Pentode/Triode switch is cool too. Versatile amp, sounds killer. I can't believe the price on them.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
So my particular Amp was one of the ones that had "noisy tubes", that is, they rattled. I read about it but couldn't believe it. After cranking the volume, I certainly heard it. So I went to my local music store and got all new Electro Harmonix tubes and no more noisy tubes. Down the road I will experiment with better tubes. I just wanted to be sure it was actually noisy tubes and it was. Otherwise, I couldn't be more pleased with the amp. The clean headroom is way better than the Vox Nighttrain was. And I really like the dirty Channel. Also, I find the mid boost to be a nice touch. The Pentode/Triode switch is cool too. Versatile amp, sounds killer. I can't believe the price on them.
If you installed the tubes yourself and haven't already biased the new power tubes, be sure to get that done.
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage
Old 04-11-2017, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Glen View Post
If you installed the tubes yourself and haven't already biased the new power tubes, be sure to get that done.
The Infinium amps are self-biasing, just plug-&-play - that's one of the reasons I've been recommending them for newcomers to tube amps...
Old 04-11-2017, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Nice. Tubey goodness. Steve has a wealth of knowledge about this particular amp - if you have questions he's your guy!
Sounds like a possible song hook

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
The Infinium amps are self-biasing, just plug-&-play - that's one of the reasons I've been recommending them for newcomers to tube amps...
Ahh, wasn't aware of that. Carry on then!
2015 Gibson J-45 Vintage
2007 Gibson SJ-200 True Vintage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars