The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-22-2015, 03:32 PM

Default LR Baggs Session Acoustic DI . . . with ?

Howdy all,
I'm interested in learning the practical usage of this new unit for somebody like me who currently relies on a preamp for necessary tone shaping and EQ.

Is the Session DI intended to be used as a stand-alone unit or will it work as well, or maybe better, in line with a preamp like a Para DI or a Radial PZ Deluxe (both of which I already have)? It doesn't look to me like the Session unit is meant to replace the preamps we're used to, since it has almost no EQ control. That said, is the combination of preamp and Session DI overkill? Will it punt me into a world of confusion due to way too many knobs to realistically control in a live setting?

I have two guitars I routinely perform with, An SCGC D/PW M and a Gibson J-45 with the stock Element PU. I can dial in good tone with either guitar using one or the other preamp, so what practical advantage does the Session DI offer in this scenario?

thanks for experience and advice shared.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:50 PM

The Session DI is more of a multi-band compressor than an EQ. So using it with an EQ will give you the best results. I use mine with a Venue DI and that seems to give me a very nice tone and evens out my playing. The Session DI's effects are sublte, so don't expect any Earth shattering effects. Don't take this wrong, I love the way the Session effects my sound. BUT you have to remember it's basically a compressor and acts like one, not an in your face effect like reverb or delay, or a fuzz box.

I don't worry about having too many knobs to work with because usually once you find a setting you like, you just leave it there. It's nice to have the option of tweaking things though.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 07-22-2015, 04:01 PM

I think the Session was designed to be both really. Those players who have built in eq controls on their guitars, use the eq on their mixers primarily or who have sound guys at most shows, will appreciate the Session as a stand-alone DI. On the other hand, some players want a preamp and eq controls at their feet so they will pair the Session with another unit. Personally I would use the Session as an effect that enhances my tone but still rely on a preamp/di unit like the Venue or Radial PZ Deluxe etc. I want to try the Session but the Canadian dollar is so bad right now that buying any piece of gear is a rip off.
Old 07-22-2015, 05:08 PM

Ditto on what's being said. I am currently using the Session with a Venue. Sometimes I won't use the Venue if I am using my Schertler amp. Both units combined yield quite a lot of power and control. I need the extra tone shaping ability in most other situations.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-22-2015, 05:56 PM

I've been using a Para DI for years...never left home without it. However, I like what the Session does to my tone so much that I'm no longer using the Para at all. I thought it was maybe a fluke but have been using just the Session with my board for weeks now and don't miss the Para at all... in fact I'm selling it now!

Something to note though, I'm frequently the only guitar in the mix, so the need for radical EQ isn't really present...
Old 07-23-2015, 12:31 AM

But I wonder if you might have that time when you will need some extra eq. The PARA DI is a great piece of gear to keep handy for that one time you might need it.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful
Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 PM

I am so glad I found this thread!! I have the Para D.I. and since reading this am going to use it in conjunction with the Session. Does it matter which one should be at the end of my chain? Guitar Out>Para D.I.>Session>Out to P.A
Old 06-04-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villalobos View Post
I am so glad I found this thread!! I have the Para D.I. and since reading this am going to use it in conjunction with the Session. Does it matter which one should be at the end of my chain? Guitar Out>Para D.I.>Session>Out to P.A
This question was brought up on the Baggs Forum. They said you try it either way and go with the sound you prefer. They had a personal preference and I don't remember what they told me. Just experiment and go with your ears.

Right now, I am using the Session in conjunction with the Red Eye when I play in a band situation. I like using the High Pass Filter. It still for some reason leaves some low end that the sound guys want to roll off anyway. When I do it with the Session it does a better job that the sound guys do at the digital board.
Oregon Duck Fan
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification