The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-13-2015, 02:03 PM

Default Going dual-source in a brass reso?

So I was thinking of putting a Schatten NR-02 on the saddle of my Gretsch Honey Dipper, and using their Mini-Pre 2 to blend in another source. Schatten said that their mic probably won't work:

Quote:
Name: les
Hi Duncan,
My testing so far with mini condenser mics in biscuit bridged instruments has been with metal bodied one's. I've found so far that there is too darn much open area within the body, too large an air chamber, and little ability to control feedback.
The same issues hold true at this point for tricones. Wood bodied biscuit instruments may behave differently, if fact I'm sure that they will. I just don't know if the absence of a structural well within the body is that tipping point.

Best regards,

Les
Schatten Design
http://www.schattendesign.com
So what do you guys think is the best choice for going multi-source to get a bit of complexity back into my live rig? Here are some candidates:

1 - Lace USA (stick-on humbucker)

Pros: I have a spare, so it's a cheaper route than shilling out for a mic.

Cons: Didn't sound great by itself (I don't play slide). Looks weird.

2 - Mic mounted externally.

Pros: Mic sound.

I stand to play and move around too much for a condensor on a stand.

Cons: The Mini-Pre might not work with a different brand's mic (I don't know what voltage phantom power it puts out).

It might look like a cyborg's arm.

3 - Risk it and experiment with the Schatten mini-mic.

Pros: Looks neat.

One endpin jack.

Mic sound (maybe)

Cons: $$$, might sound phasey and gross and feed back like a mother.

Might just outright not work.
Old 06-13-2015, 04:04 PM

Have you looked at the Gold Tone ABS mic system? Kind of the "dearmond soundhole pickup" of mics. I haven't used one, but I probably would before a true internal mic. I'm skeptical about getting a great sound with a pure internal mic. I have no experience to say it wouldn't work. It's just that there's a LOT going on in there...
Old 06-16-2015, 06:30 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering, I went with the Lace USA as a second source and played it at a gig last night blended about 50/50. Non-permanent install just to check it out.

Sounded sick. Gonna solder it up permanently using a stereo jack. Quest over remarkably fast.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments