The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Glastonbury vids - I don't get it...

Clue me in here.

I've been watching the Palladia channel's Glastonbury Music Festival series, trying to stay up on the current musical trends. Here is what I see:

Fashion:
Retro is in. They are dressing like the guys did between 1968 and 1974.
"Gangsta" hats with feathers are in - like on 95% of the guys. Didn't anyone tell them before they hit the stage that the other 95% had already worn a chapeau at this event?
LOOONG Sideburns are in.
Greasy hair is in.
Not shaving (not even nice bears or 'staches but real scruff) is in.
For the girls, slutty and/or strange are way in.
"The look" is unhappy, unkept, unpleasant.

Performance:
It looks like a convention of air guitar players - everything is over the top and overstylized.
No matter what the tempo or musical difficulty, the guitarists are pretending they are really working it. Flip the switch and we do our schtick.

Music:
The music is all "flail" and no complexity. We are talking full-arm-stroke strumming, as if there is really no other technique available on the guitar.
There appears to be little meaningful harmony vocal work happening.
From what I can tell, any trace of virtuosity is being eschewed for bohemian "style".

As Monty Python would say, "What's the pleasure in that?"
It looks very much like "the emperor's new clothes" to me.

Am I officially a fuddy duddy or has anyone else noticed this?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Am I officially a fuddy duddy or has anyone else noticed this?
No and yes.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:25 AM

You may be a fuddy duddy if.....

FWIW, I'm with you Bob. I haven't seen the vids, and will probably avoid them now.

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge
Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM

......you have to BE there, man!

Keith

PS I was, for this first time, and, at 59 years of age, had a blast! Lots there for all tastes in music (and fashion) actually - most of the best wasn't "current" music at all - I agree that some of the younger bands were verging on your description, but virtuosity abounded if you looked and listened in the right places, often away from the main stages. I will return for more next year!
Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarolan View Post
......you have to BE there, man!

Keith

PS I was, for this first time, and, at 59 years of age, had a blast! Lots there for all tastes in music (and fashion) actually - most of the best wasn't "current" music at all - I agree that some of the younger bands were verging on your description, but virtuosity abounded if you looked and listened in the right places, often away from the main stages. I will return for more next year!
I agree. All the best stuff tends to happen in the smaller tents and those are the ones that tend to get no real TV or media coverage.

One story I heard was that Pink Floyd approached the organisers to see if they could headline this year, following on from the success of the live 8 show, but the organisers already had the 3 headliners for each night in place and have never changed them, so said no. How sad that it will never now happen with the death of Rick Wright.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilbert View Post
I agree. All the best stuff tends to happen in the smaller tents and those are the ones that tend to get no real TV or media coverage.

One story I heard was that Pink Floyd approached the organisers to see if they could headline this year, following on from the success of the live 8 show, but the organisers already had the 3 headliners for each night in place and have never changed them, so said no. How sad that it will never now happen with the death of Rick Wright.
I cannot believe anyone in any venue on the planet would not have let Pink Floyd headline. Is this a joke

Martin HD-28, Carvin Cobalt 750, Fender American Strat, Fender American Jazz Bass V.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmoondoggie View Post
I cannot believe anyone in any venue on the planet would not have let Pink Floyd headline. Is this a joke
It is not a joke as far as I am aware. It was in the editorial section of last month's Guitarist magazine. The organiser, Emily Eavis, said that have never bumped a headliner and they didn't see any reason to do it this year. I bet she is kicking herself now!!
Old 11-21-2008, 08:12 AM

Last edited by mishmannah; 11-30-2012 at 12:19 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell