The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-11-2008, 10:46 PM

Default Is "more than three" rude?

I am relatively new to the open mike thing, but it seems that when there are thirteen performers signed up, the house should put a limit on the number of songs a guy can throw, right? Wrong? Seemed like an eternity tonight when someone wanted to do 4 or 5 songs. Thanks for your opinions.....
Old 11-12-2008, 12:32 AM

The places I go to do open mic...the limit is 2.....3 is very generous...any more than that is unfair to the rest waiting patiently to play...Just my 2 cents...
Fender 52 RI Tele
Fender 50th Anniversary Tele
Gibson 2009 Les Paul Traditional
Gibson 2012 Les Paul 70's Tribute
Nord Electro 3 73
Yamaha Moxf
Dr.Z Stang Ray [Head]
Dr.Z Carmen Ghia [Head]
ZWreck cab
Dr.Z 1x12 Cab
---------------------------
Sheldon Road
Old 11-12-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
I am relatively new to the open mike thing, but it seems that when there are thirteen performers signed up, the house should put a limit on the number of songs a guy can throw, right? Wrong? Seemed like an eternity tonight when someone wanted to do 4 or 5 songs. Thanks for your opinions.....
__________________________________________________ ___________

It (the time frame/# of songs per person) needs to be adjusted to the number of performers and length of time that the open mic runs. 13 performers.....If it runs 3 hours, figure 10 to 15 minute slots per person. It's up to the guy hosting it to keep things fair (equal time for everyone) and running smoothly. I go to a couple Tuesday nite open mics that are the reverse of your situation. I may be the only musician who shows up in the first hour to 90 minutes at the 1 bar I go to, meaning I can play quite a long set. Usually the host sits in with me on a couple songs and plays some lead and does backup vocals. Kind of a cool situation......

With the # of participants you mentioned it is VERY important for the host to keep on top of things and make those time slots equal. It's more about time-frame per person than the number of songs each one does IMO, as song lengths can vary greatly.....

Ryan
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 AM

The time should be the factor, divided among the sign ups. if you can get 5 songs in 15 mins verses a 10 minute version of crossroads and another of like time so be it.

To give a open time slot based on 4 or 5 songs is not really managing the show well, there are only so many minutes in an hour. But, that's just my .02 cents worth.
Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 11-12-2008, 06:34 AM

Whether it's an open mike or a showcase (multiple booked artists) it's all about time. As mentioned song length is arbitrary, everybody should get the same block of "time".

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-12-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbow View Post
Most open mics specify number of songs or a time limit from the start. It's a good idea to put that info on the sign up list, too. I usually do three songs, and am often invited to play one or two more ... but I never ask, nor do I just do it.

We had a guy show up a few weeks back, a first timer, who asked to be "fitted in" because he had "somewhere to go", who then played five short (but awful) originals. The host was to blame, IMO. We haven't seen that guy again.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzicMaKen View Post
The places I go to do open mic...the limit is 2.....3 is very generous...any more than that is unfair to the rest waiting patiently to play...Just my 2 cents...
+1 ... I occassionally play bass in the house band for an Open Mic Nite, two song limit here, too.

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Too bad there's no way to base time slots on how long each performer's performance seems to take....
Old 11-12-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Too bad there's no way to base time slots on how long each performer's performance seems to take....
Hee hee, bad songs always last a loooong time!

mud

"Do ya want it to be interesting, or do ya want it to be true?"

"So far, it's neither."
Old 11-12-2008, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
__________________________________________________ ___________

With the # of participants you mentioned it is VERY important for the host to keep on top of things and make those time slots equal. It's more about time-frame per person than the number of songs each one does IMO, as song lengths can vary greatly.....

Ryan
Exactly!! The open mic I got to has a limit of 4 songs per person which I think it great but the host keeps everything in check so nobody takes up too much time.

Plug: If you're ever in Melbourne in Australia on a Thursday night, come to Chef's Edge in Collingwood (cnr Hotham and Wellington Streets) for the best open mic in Melbourne.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I thought- The host needs to be more involved. Heck, like I said I was new there.... maybe the guy with all the songs was related to the host! ha
Old 11-12-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevelman View Post
Exactly!! The open mic I got to has a limit of 4 songs per person which I think it great but the host keeps everything in check so nobody takes up too much time.

Plug: If you're ever in Melbourne in Australia on a Thursday night, come to Chef's Edge in Collingwood (cnr Hotham and Wellington Streets) for the best open mic in Melbourne.

Is that where you are, Gerry? How COOOOL!

Jimbow.....

You will get a better feel for things after you go for a couple weeks. Sometimes you get nights that are jampacked with musicians. Others are slow. Best to get there early. Keep us posted on how it's going. Enjoy the music.....

Ryan
Old 11-16-2008, 05:05 AM

In situations where a lot of acts are waiting, I prefer to go with a fifteen minute time limit for setting up and playing. I've had one act actually do seven songs within that time limit. In another case, I had to cut an act off after only one song - because he spent his first ten minutes of stage time tuning. He definitely thought I was rude, while the last act on the list (act #18, taking the stage four hours and fifteen minutes into the open mic) no doubt thought I wasn't rude enough.

Gary
Old 11-16-2008, 11:52 PM

Default Must be a great place to play!

Wow Gary- sounds like a great place to play- Thanks to you for keeping things in perspective for the #18 guy!
Old 11-17-2008, 06:22 PM

Default Yes!

I help host an open mic, and the house band does get upset when we allow a "guest" to play more than 3 songs!
franchelB: TGF member #57!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell