The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-14-2017, 01:37 PM

Default Monitors size & brand same as FOH speakers?

Budget is 3K....From my last thread on Bose vs. QSC 12 we have morphed into just going with the 12.2's which came out 2 weeks after my thread. The Bose though interesting on certain levels would get me much less bang for my buck

One man band in the house of Worship 50-150 people...Everything controlled from onstage from my Allen & Heath QU 24....Play Keys on a Korg PA 4X so I will have bass & drums going along with me. I also sequence from KORG PA 4X and play acoustic guitar live....So I will have Bass & drums coming through system from keyboard

So about to pull the trigger on 3 or 4 QSC k12.2...

2 for house 1 or 2 for monitor...Thought process is I want to set my settings on my Allen & Heath QU24 exactly the same onstage as house from the stage...My volume on stage would be lower (slightly)....

Thinking 8' or 10" are more ergonomic for monitors, but since I am the sound man as a one man band, the same size speakers would allow me to mix as seamlessly as possible while I play, and as accurately as I can do from stage.....Plus the keys, bass & drums will not allow me to accurately tell what is going out to crowd if I go with 8" or 10"....

I'm thinking everything exactly the same

Thoughts on this?

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 06-14-2017, 06:50 PM

All the same makes sense to me. One of the easiest to mix systems I've ever used was a pair of (12" powered, biamped) Yamaha MSR400's: one as a FOH and one as a monitor. I heard what they heard. This was in a huge sanctuary that seated 400+ but for a crowd of 60 or so. I had both sitting on the stage, which was about 45" high with one facing me and one facing the audience.

In your case, I'd go with four 12s. I'm sure the keyboard is likely in a different location than the guitar so having enough monitor coverage to not have to drag around a 50lb speaker in the middle of a church service is probably a good thing.

The only concern is the acoustics of the stage. If the monitors would be bouncing off walls, that could be very bad. Also, be sure to get the FOH at a good height (and not behind a projection screen lol).
Old 06-15-2017, 10:41 AM

One nice thing, is that if a main fails, you can just pop a monitor up and keep going.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 06-15-2017, 10:53 AM

We often gig with a 12 for house and a 12 for monitor, no amps everything in the PA. When we need more we use 2-12s for house and a 10 for monitor. And 2-12s is only for big noisy spaces. The reasons for the size breakdown are primarily who owns and has to load them...another subject.

My only comment is the dispersion of the 8" and 10" QSCs is a little better than the 12s and I believe we get a little better stage sound spread from the 10. I even like the sound of the 10s a little better but it is subtle at best. In the end, the 12 gets the job done just fine and that is for 4 of us on the bandstand. And for a one man band? A single 12 is a lot of monitor speaker.

hunter
Old 06-15-2017, 11:54 AM

I don't think you can go wrong with using the same model for FOH and stage. But I will tell you that I'm going in the opposite direction because of weight. I think we're going to use 4 little 5" individual monitors.
Old 06-21-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I don't think you can go wrong with using the same model for FOH and stage. But I will tell you that I'm going in the opposite direction because of weight. I think we're going to use 4 little 5" individual monitors.
I went opposite too....

I went with the BOSE L1 Model 2......I like my speakers behind me and want to hear what the audience hears and do not want monitors on stage.

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification