The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Which Pickup System Should I Go With?
K&K Pure Mini 5 29.41%
A Fishman 1 5.88%
Other - Which One? 11 64.71%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM

Default ES Replacement

Hello gents,

I am looking to replace the ES that came with my guitar. It probably is a ES1.3 and it has always sounded metallic or electric. I never got the warm acoustic tone. Anyways, the local technician at Metro Guitar Service suggested two pickup system: K&K mini or Fishman. I am told the ES doesn't need to be stripped out but just would get disconnected. Of the two, which pickup system would you recommend? Would you recommend something other than the two?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:41 AM

Also, if I turn off the magnetic pickup under the bridge or neck, could that help bring out the more acoustic sound?
Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Have your Taylor converted to the new ES2. The ES2 and Trance Amulet systems, IMHO, are the two best pickup systems out there. Other contenders, Dazzo and Barbera, I have no experience with but others have also lauded these two systems.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-01-2017, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudals View Post
Also, if I turn off the magnetic pickup under the bridge or neck, could that help bring out the more acoustic sound?
No. As Monty, of Taylor Guitars, told me: The neck pickup is the fundamental basis of the magnetic-pickup based tone with the soundboard magnetic transducer adding some top and body vibration to flesh out the overall system's tone. Then again, I've never unplugged the neck pickup to actually hear what my previously-owned ES1.2/ES1.3 Taylors would have sounded like with just the soundboard transducer engaged. Here are two Expression System samples I made a few years ago that demonstrate the difference in tone between a ES1.3 and the fall 2013 introduction of the ES2. Selections are played with a flatpick and all EQ is Flat on guitars with no effects added:

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 06-01-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 AM

I am still on ES1.3 and have not been impressed with ES2.0. To my ears, it sounds even tinnier.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM

I replied in your other thread. If you must remove the ES1.3, consider the MiSi Align XT. This way you won't make any permanent physical modificaitons to the exterior of your guitar. They use the LR Baggs element, but I presume you could switch the Fishman Matrix, if you want to. Don't clip the wires that go to the under fingerboard mag pickup! That way, when you sell the guitar, you'll be able to reinstall the ES1.3 with little effort. Resale on a modded 600 series Taylor must be terrible.

Otherwise, you can purchase the TruPlug kit and install any pickup system.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I am still on ES1.3 and have not been impressed with ES2.0. To my ears, it sounds even tinnier.
There are many of us who love the ES2. It must be setup correctly. If the piezos are screwed down (in) too tightly the sound is shrill. They have to be backed off to barely touching and the sound is warm, natural and inviting. But, everyone's ears are different. I purchased a low end Taylor to use for gigs, just for the ES2. It was cheaper than buying another guitar and installing my other favorite system (Trance Amulet MVT). The last gig I played, several guitar players who attended came up complementing me on the sound.

They wanted to know how they duplicate it. They asked which expensive guitar and pickup system was I using? "What pedals they should buy, etc?" The thing is, I was using the ES2 Taylor, and I was plugged directly into a cheap house PA system. I told them to buy the cheapest Taylor they could find with the ES2 system. The looks on their faces were priceless. I think I sold (3) 100 or 200 series Taylors that night.

Of course, the truth is that my tone comes from my hands and my setup. I play a mixture of finger/travis picking and flat picking. I always play with 13-56 phosphor bronze strings. I play the warmest strings I can find. I know to use coated strings to tame highs with the Taylor. I use special flat picks with rounded points, and I know how to make the guitar sound warm from years of practice. I used to get compliments when I was playing a $150 Yamaha with a $40 sound-hole pickup.

I find that in playing live, you need to do everything you can to make the guitar sound warm acoustically before you do anything else. Then, when you amplify you at least have a shot at keeping it warm. When the adrenaline kicks in and your're strumming hard, the guitar will get hotter and brighter. Pickups want to amplify the highs/mids first. And, when you amplify, that's what the human hearing picks up on first.

Last edited by martingitdave; 06-01-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:01 AM

Although I think Taylor es2 is the way to go, if I had to go for a third party pickup, I would just leave the es1.3 installed.

I would buy an extra Taylor endpin jack and install the 3rd party preamp inside it. Then it is fully reversible in few minutes.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 06-01-2017, 10:43 AM

Thank you, gentlemen for your input!
Old 06-03-2017, 02:58 AM

I've done the ES 1.3 to ES 2 upgrade and couldn't be happier. Check out some ES2 models before making your decision, the tone from the ES2 is very natural and apart from the cost of installation (around $300 I think, I did it in Europe) it is the simplest option too, everything is designed around the original concept and the end pin assembly is the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-03-2017, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

ES2 post Sept 2016 is fab!
Old 06-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
ES2 post Sept 2016 is fab!

Cool. Did your new Taylor arrive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-05-2017, 09:49 AM

Update
I hooked up my taylor to an acoustic guitar amp and XLR'd to the PA system and have to say that it sounded like an acoustic guitar based on band members' feedback.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Update

I hooked up my taylor to an acoustic guitar amp and XLR'd to the PA system and have to say that it sounded like an acoustic guitar based on band members' feedback.

Excellent. Much better to work with what you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification