The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-05-2017, 01:06 AM

I've owned K10's before. Sold them in a downsize move. I miss them and want 'em back!
Old 06-05-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsharris View Post
I have now started checking out the EV speakers as well as the K8. I am really thinking that unless there is some huge tonal difference between the K and K.2 speakers that getting the older models are actually a decent price.

I have also really started checking out the QSC Touchmix 8. Maybe a couple of K8 or K10's and a Touchmix 8?

What EV speakers are most comparable to the K series?
In case it matters to you, the 1st generation of K8s cannot easily be used as floor monitors, due to cabinet design. That was the reason I opted for the EV ZXa1 instead, as I sometimes use them as monitors when others bring larger speakers for FOH for certain situations.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:15 AM

I would have to second the Yamaha DXR 10. Just wonderful sound to my ears and not very heavy. I find that the times I've listen to someone using a K10, it just sounded harsh to my ears--especially after listening for an hour or so. My 2 cents.
Old 06-05-2017, 09:05 AM

If you like the older K10 then there has never been a better time to buy one. I don't appreciate a bunch of controls on the back of speaker which will be inconvenient to touch at a gig anyway (meaning I don't see any point in paying more for the K10.2).

My duo uses a single Yamaha DBR10 high and behind, as main and monitor (it replaced a K10 2.5 years ago). The DBR10 is almost 10 lbs lighter than a K10 and sounds fine. But there is no doubt the higher Yamaha lines and the QSCs ooze higher quality (whether you can hear it or will abuse your equipment enough to test it is debateable).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification