The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2015, 01:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
How far is it from Kilgore to Nacogdoches? Writing from Abilene and meandering east on 20. Of course we may be taken out before we get that far. . .
Hey Bruce, like Ryan said we're about an hour + from Kilgore. Once there, hi 259 is the best shot south. I still remember we owe you a shop tour! And it would be good to have you visit.
Not sure how your time line is working, but we're tied up this weekend in a wedding. But after that we're good.
Until Thursday, which will be a mad dash to Memphis!
See you here...or there. Hopefully both?

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 05-29-2015, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Unlike Tom, I didn't just take a wild guess.

Even black ebony has figure, you know...
Well sorry to say, I did not just take a wild guess. Not sure why you were assuming I did, but I actually thought the "K" inlay looked different on each F1 with the one on the left appearing to be thicker on the bottom part of the K in the photos. Probably just the angle of the picture then as I suppose those are all pre-made with a CNC machine and are consistent...however, I was trying Mau, not just wild guessing.

Back to the next contest wherever that may be. Never win the lottery either!!!!
Old 05-29-2015, 02:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

CNC cut K's? What is this wizardry you speak of? Sounds like the devil's work to me. Pure honest hand work for all our pearl.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM

HA!!! Well then I just may have to call an official protest over Mau's win, that left K seems to be thicker and swoopier on the bottom part of the K matching the one on the headstock while the right seems thinner and a little less swoopy.

Who do I contact, who is the officiating body here, FIFA is out, the NFL is not looking too good right now either,...hmmmm, anyone related to the government would not be my first choice, well, I can't think of an appropriate official body to protest to so I bow out, a loser....

Tom
Old 05-29-2015, 05:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Hey Bruce, like Ryan said we're about an hour + from Kilgore. Once there, hi 259 is the best shot south. I still remember we owe you a shop tour! And it would be good to have you visit.
Not sure how your time line is working, but we're tied up this weekend in a wedding. But after that we're good.
Until Thursday, which will be a mad dash to Memphis!
See you here...or there. Hopefully both?

Steve
Thank you for the clear invitation, Steve. This morning we decided to go to San Antonio after all as the weather had cleared up, and we are now there. I doubt we will pass your way after all, as New Orleans is and was our hoped for distraction. Had we come by, it would have been today or tomorrow, so it looks like it wasn't going to work anyway. Next time!
Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Thank you for the clear invitation, Steve. This morning we decided to go to San Antonio after all as the weather had cleared up, and we are now there. I doubt we will pass your way after all, as New Orleans is and was our hoped for distraction. Had we come by, it would have been today or tomorrow, so it looks like it wasn't going to work anyway. Next time!
Indeed. According to Bob, 2017 is already shaping up. Perhaps then?
As for this time: were I in your shoes I'd do the same thing. San Antone then the Big Easy. What an interesting trip. You'll love both places.
In N.O. be sure and visit Cafe Dumond. Mmm--mmm...

See ya next week,

Steve

Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Indeed. According to Bob, 2017 is already shaping up. Perhaps then?
As for this time: were I in your shoes I'd do the same thing. San Antone then the Big Easy. What an interesting trip. You'll love both places.
In N.O. be sure and visit Cafe Dumond. Mmm--mmm...

See ya next week,

Steve
Bruce,

Definitely swing by Cafe Du Monde for Beignets and Coffee (don't look through the back window at the deep fryer!)

http://www.cafedumonde.com/beignets

Also, Central Grocery is a must for a Muffuletta

http://www.nolacuisine.com/2009/05/24/central-grocery/

Between Santa Fe, NOLA and then Memphis, I suspect that all your guitars might feel a bit deeper than they did in Petaluma when you play them!

Enjoy
Old 05-30-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
HA!!! Well then I just may have to call an official protest over Mau's win, that left K seems to be thicker and swoopier on the bottom part of the K matching the one on the headstock while the right seems thinner and a little less swoopy.

Who do I contact, who is the officiating body here, FIFA is out, the NFL is not looking too good right now either,...hmmmm, anyone related to the government would not be my first choice, well, I can't think of an appropriate official body to protest to so I bow out, a loser....

Tom
You know, Tom, I tried to offer you an easy way out by suggesting you had taken a wild guess.

Now you are insisting that you actually made an effort -- but still got it wrong. And on top of that you're suggesting that your luthier's logos could potentially look inconsistent. Hmmm...
Old 05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
AGF Sponsor

Look inconsistent? Look inconsistent? I'll have you know they ARE inconsistent by golly! We take pains in making each one ever so slightly different from the rest. It's charm. It's authenticity. It's honesty.
(it's the best we can do...)

And who knows? The F-1's are so alike, maybe I got it wrong.
Maybe Tom was right. But if so, we will make it up in grand style!

Steve

Old 05-30-2015, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Look inconsistent? Look inconsistent? I'll have you know they ARE inconsistent by golly! We take pains in making each one ever so slightly different from the rest. It's charm. It's authenticity. It's honesty.
(it's the best we can do...)

And who knows? The F-1's are so alike, maybe I got it wrong.
Maybe Tom was right. But if so, we will make it up in grand style!

Steve
Amen

Now that's what I'm sayin
Old 06-02-2015, 10:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Ok, we couldn't leave for Memphis without leaving you a little something. We thought about letting you guess which tunes went with which guitar for some kind of contest. However, after what is now being referred to by the media as "Headplategate" we decided just to post the clips sans controversy.

To get the full effect, hire some local kid to kick you in the gut at every bass note. Actually on second thought, just imagine the kick.

First up is the White Oak Parlor that was replicated from Steve's granddad's guitar. Coventry Carol comes up first, then I told Steve to play something bluesy. You can guess the tune.

Kinnaird Engelmann/White Oak Parlor tunes

Next up is the Maple OM built for YourPerfectGuitar.com. The first tune is an intro to a song Steve wrote in his younger days called Gentle Touch. The second one is just same rambling around on this smooth playing instrument.

Kinnaird Sitka/Quilted Maple OM tunes

And last, but definitely not least, is the big Koa SJ we built for the festival. The first tune is King's Weston and the second is O Sacred Head Now Wounded.

Kinnaird Bearclaw Sitka/Curly Koa tunes

I hope you enjoy these tunes. If you want to have the experience of the Memphis Festival, listen to these with the New York Stock Exchange on TV in the background.

We'll see you soon

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 06-03-2015, 06:40 AM

We thought about letting you guess which tunes went with which guitar for some kind of contest. However, after what is now being referred to by the media as "Headplategate" we decided just to post the clips sans controversy.

I hope you enjoy these tunes. If you want to have the experience of the Memphis Festival, listen to these with the New York Stock Exchange on TV in the background.

LOL, you should be getting my official contest protest from the GAL contest division shortly.

They all sound GREAT, like a full orchestra! BUT, I have to say, WOW on Granddad's parlor remake. Oak B&S, how did you guys coax the volume, bass response, and sustain out of that small body? That thing was a big surprise to me. If it is for sale, I would be very surprised if you bring that back to Tx!

Best to you guys, are you driving?
Old 06-03-2015, 03:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you, Tom. Yes, those little parlors will surprise.
We used a shorter (24.625") scale, with the hopes that we could trade some power for added sweetness. It moved in that direction wonderfully. Glad you like it!
Yes, we head out tomorrow. Leaving my Dad here to man the fort and feed the cats. Should be a pleasant drive, since the monsoons have slackened.

Steve

Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

They all seem to have their own sonic fingerprint ... and all sound sooo great!
Old 06-03-2015, 10:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

That's high praise, David. Very much appreciated!

Steve

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop