The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-26-2015, 03:28 PM

I don't know how many of you realize what a great player our own Marcus Wong is so I thought I would post this. I think the Lucky Tree guitar is very lucky to have found a home with such a fantastic player...he will bring out the sound in that guitar the way Joel has intended with his build!!!! I wish I could play a tenth as well.

I hope he doesn't mind that I did this, but he is just great.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 05-26-2015 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't know how many of you realize what a great player our own Marcus Wong is so I thought I would post this. I think the Lucky Strike guitar is very lucky to have found a home with such a fantastic player...he will bring out the sound in that guitar the way Joel has intended with his build!!!! I wish I could play a tenth as well.

What's better is that he's only been playing a little over 2 years. Ridiculous in the best of ways.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Terrific chops, Marcus.

Indeed it is a "Lucky Tree" who ends up in the hands of an adroit player.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am just blown away by this, Marcus!
One of my favorite modern guitar players is Mike Dawes. He is a member of that rarefied pantheon of super-talents who we all WISH we could be, but never will...
This is Mike Dawes' arrangement, correct? And you are every bit as good as he is- which I would say puts you in that .0001% of the best guitar players on Earth.
Have you SERIOUSLY only been playing guitar for two years?!? Whoa! Talk about world-class talent!
I do hope you will post some videos of your playing on the Michaud-made guitar, after you've settled in together. I can't imagine a more worthy recipient of such a fine guitar than YOU!
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM

Light out for me, I'm going back to bed and contemplate if I should stomp on my hands or yours Marcus. I think mine. Outstanding!
Old 05-26-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Light out for me, I'm going back to bed and contemplate if I should stomp on my hands or yours Marcus. I think mine. Outstanding!
No don't do that, you still need your hands to cut billets so that guys like Marcus can have great guitars to play!!!! We all have our roles...
Old 05-26-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I don't know how many of you realize what a great player our own Marcus Wong is so I thought I would post this. I think the Lucky Tree guitar is very lucky to have found a home with such a fantastic player...he will bring out the sound in that guitar the way Joel has intended with his build!!!! I wish I could play a tenth as well.

Wow, thanks so much for the shout out Tom! I just hope that I can uphold the standard of building Joel has displayed with my playing, though I know that the guitar will always be a few steps ahead of me. I'm honoured to have it built for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcn View Post
Terrific chops, Marcus.

Indeed it is a "Lucky Tree" who ends up in the hands of an adroit player.
Haha! Thanks dcn for the kind words though I feel as if I'm the lucky one

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-26-2015, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I am just blown away by this, Marcus!
One of my favorite modern guitar players is Mike Dawes. He is a member of that rarefied pantheon of super-talents who we all WISH we could be, but never will...
This is Mike Dawes' arrangement, correct? And you are every bit as good as he is- which I would say puts you in that .0001% of the best guitar players on Earth.
Have you SERIOUSLY only been playing guitar for two years?!? Whoa! Talk about world-class talent!
I do hope you will post some videos of your playing on the Michaud-made guitar, after you've settled in together. I can't imagine a more worthy recipient of such a fine guitar than YOU!
Thanks Steve! Mike is definitely one of my favourites, along with Calum Graham and Antoine Dufour. And yes, it is Mike's arrangement, no one else could have done such a tremendous job with that!

Noooo you're mistaken. There is no way I am anywhere close to Mike! As Tom has said, I wish I could play a tenth as well but Mike is definitely on a WHOLE 'nother level that I can only dream of touching.

Well, at the time of the recording, it was indeed past 2 years of playing, however it has been 9 months since then so I believe I am now past the 3 years mark I haven't been putting in the hours lately though like I used to and with university starting in August, it is going to be hard but I'm hoping that the Lucky Tree would inspire me to focus more on my playing

I will definitely post a video of my Lucky Tree. Maybe in a couple of months because I do want the guitar to have stabilised enough for a set up and for the guitar to open up slightly more before I put it up online I am currently working on Boogie Shred by Mike but will most likely record Waiting by Calum Graham as it is more melodic. You might have to wait a while before I put up more of Mike's repertoire

Thank you for all the kind words and interest in this build Steve. I can't wait for you to try it out for yourself at Memphis!!!!

EDIT: In case you were wondering about my background in music. I've taken up classical guitar and piano for a year or so as a kid (Asian parents am I right?) and kind of hated it and have not touched an instrument since then. I was highly involved in sports and spent most of my waking hours doing just that. However I had 4 knee surgeries the past few years and have thus sworn off sports. So to fill the time, I resorted to the guitar which I'm glad I've fallen in love with!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420

Last edited by Marcus Wong; 05-26-2015 at 10:15 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Either would be fine, just don't stomp on my guitar at Memphis thank you Jay for the compliment!

Quote:
No don't do that, you still need your hands to cut billets so that guys like Marcus can have great guitars to play!!!! We all have our roles...
Now now Tom, you're forgetting that Jay is a performing artist himself!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Default It is finished!

WOW. I can't believe that this is the end of the road for my build! It has been such an amazing experience and frankly, I CAN'T WAIT to get started on another one already! Though that would have to wait... I can't stress again how much Joel has been such a joy to work with and this has really been an experience like no other. Any of you considering a custom build, you wouldn't know what you're missing out on until you've experienced one with Joel Michaud.

All that is left to do is hear what you folks have to say about it at Memphis (if it is negative and you are not comfortable with saying it in public, feel free to drop me an e-mail on your thoughts and review which I would definitely love to hear it!), and finally to play it myself and grow with it.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Congrats, Marcus. That's a stunning guitar with beautiful appointments. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:45 AM

Some awesome features that I love which are not shown or not very clear are:
Scalloped Nut
Manzer Wedge
Wenge Scratch Pad
Glow in the dark Fret Dots
Etched Bridge Pins to show which hole they belong to
End Wedge Inlay
Figure of the Sides

I will definitely take more pictures up close when I get it in my hands in less than 2 weeks!!! TERRIBLY EXCITED!!!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Congrats, Marcus. That's a stunning guitar with beautiful appointments. Hope you enjoy it for years to come.
Thank you so much Mau!! I believe I will understand the allure of The Tree, which you very well know of, once I have it in my hands. And I aspire to do my Lucky Tree as much justice as you do to your Olson.

You have been an extremely huge part of this build whether you know it or not. You challenged me to step outside my comfort zone to explore solo luthier builds, and your words of wisdom and experience on this forum and via e-mails have surely shaped my knowledge of guitars. So thank you Mau for leading me to this opportunity which would not have been possible without you.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:

...and more

[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 06-01-2015, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Marcus! Such a stunning guitar--can't wait to hear how she'll sing in your talented hands. Thanks for taking us along on the ride--Enjoy!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:38 PM

You're giving me too much credit, Marcus -- but I'm glad I could help. I mostly insisted that you get the build that you truly want rather than trying to save a few bucks and regretting it in the long run. Seeing how this guitar turned out, I'm sure you'll agree that it was money well spent.

Joel built you a real showpiece. The photos are excellent -- among the best I've seen from a guitar builder.

It'd be great to hear you play "Magnolia" on your new guitar...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Tags
fanned fret, joel michaud, lucky strike, manzer wedge, the tree