The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-05-2014, 09:18 AM
AGF Administrator

You know that "Les premiers pas" is my favorite of your compositions. Really nice to hear it on this guitar. It sounds great, Mau.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakakak View Post
A beautiful instrument + beautiful playing = beautiful music, I can't really ask for more...

I really do wish I am half as good as you are...

I've never heard about Ceylon Satinwood before.. But now I have to wonder why they are not popular among the high end builders...
Thanks for listening.

Ceylon satinwood is not often seen because it is neither widely available nor widely in demand. In terms of sound, it could be replaced by a bunch of cheaper tone woods, some of which may be more "traditional".

Besides, a yellow guitar may not be everyone's cup of tea...
Old 05-05-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
You know that "Les premiers pas" is my favorite of your compositions. Really nice to hear it on this guitar. It sounds great, Mau.
Thanks, Jeremy. I like to keep this piece as an "introduction" or an "interlude" since it is so simple and borderline musically insignificant.

But I enjoy playing it though as its simplicity allows for more nuances.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Thanks for listening, guys.

Saying that a guitar has a "thinner" sound is only negative if you don't like the idea.

As I've previously described, this guitar has (by a wide margin) the clearest voice amongst all of my guitars. Almost sounds like a good maple guitar to my ears. It is clearly way "thinner" than a Kraut BRW in the upper registry -- and there's nothing wrong with that.

It's arguably "thinner" than the Olson as well. Not a bad thing.

I have been really enjoying this little guitar. If I want thick trebles I just pick up the Kraut...
Oh, Fsgeek meant your Kraut when he said "K"? I thought he was talking about recording gear (since he said play through the "K") and thus the quality of the recording.

You are the best judge of your guitars, of course, since you're hearing them with your own ears. But the recording was excellent quality and the guitar sounds heavenly!
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Love the sound of a clear guitar played fingerstyle. Clarity is only one of the outstanding qualities this instrument delivers....when you are playing it. It must be fun to go from this little gem to some of your other guitars then back again. Great recording quality and playing as usual.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Jeremy. I like to keep this piece as an "introduction" or an "interlude" since it is so simple and borderline musically insignificant.

But I enjoy playing it though as its simplicity allows for more nuances.
Simple maybe, but not musically insignificant. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is simple too... Not saying you're Bach, but it's a really nice piece. I like the change at 1:00, and when it repeats later (with more embellishments).

I would like to hear it or another piece without the effects, in order to really hear the guitar as crafted.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Great piece, great guitar and great playing.

What's not to like?
Old 05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mau,

What a magic sound! And a beautiful song! I, too, listened to it multiple times before posting here. That was just lovely!

Thanks for sharing that Mau!
- Glenn
Old 05-06-2014, 03:39 AM

Sounds great as usual Mau, with exemplary playing.

Sounded very "Olsonesque" to me once it had come out the other end of YouTube, so I'm interested in your comments that the two are different. I've played a few Petros guitars and my faves were definitely the "FS" model - easy to hold, easy to play, and a very sweet sound indeed that made slow airs sound very "pretty", quite the way a good Olson does.

How does this one stack up to the one in the shop that, when you played it, caused you to change your mind re the Tunnel?

Yes, would be nice to hear the "K" again as well. Love that geeetar!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 05-06-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by random works View Post
Love the sound of a clear guitar played fingerstyle. Clarity is only one of the outstanding qualities this instrument delivers....when you are playing it. It must be fun to go from this little gem to some of your other guitars then back again. Great recording quality and playing as usual.
Thanks for your kind words.

I needed a pretty guitar to stand next to the Olsons -- and the Yellow Rose fits the bill perfectly. It wasn't exactly a planned purchase -- but I am enjoying the guitar thoroughly and I am very happy with my decision.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dneal View Post
Simple maybe, but not musically insignificant. Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring is simple too... Not saying you're Bach, but it's a really nice piece. I like the change at 1:00, and when it repeats later (with more embellishments).

I would like to hear it or another piece without the effects, in order to really hear the guitar as crafted.
Thanks for the support...

I'm not good with dry recordings -- but I believe Kinloch posted a couple on his YouTube channel.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Great piece, great guitar and great playing.

What's not to like?
Thanks Brian.

This is an emotional purchase that turned out well. I'm happy.
Old 05-06-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mau,

What a magic sound! And a beautiful song! I, too, listened to it multiple times before posting here. That was just lovely!

Thanks for sharing that Mau!
- Glenn
Thanks for stopping by, Glenn.

I'm glad you enjoyed my latest recording -- I kept it pretty short...
Old 05-06-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Sounds great as usual Mau, with exemplary playing.

Sounded very "Olsonesque" to me once it had come out the other end of YouTube, so I'm interested in your comments that the two are different. I've played a few Petros guitars and my faves were definitely the "FS" model - easy to hold, easy to play, and a very sweet sound indeed that made slow airs sound very "pretty", quite the way a good Olson does.

How does this one stack up to the one in the shop that, when you played it, caused you to change your mind re the Tunnel?

Yes, would be nice to hear the "K" again as well. Love that geeetar!

Cheers,
Steve
Thanks for listening, Steve.

If I were to play both guitars with the exact same attack (if that were possible), you'd hear dramatic differences. But I usually have a tone in mind when I pick up a guitar -- so I will adapt my attack in order to get close to that tonal goal.

If you A/B with my latest Olson recording (http://youtu.be/jgGcynzJJ_Q), you may hear that the Petros sounds clearer. Its tone is finer grained, smoother than the Olson's -- and the trebles are definitely edgier.

In terms of response, the two guitars are also quite different -- the Olson being quite willing to bark in the bass and mids whereas the Petros remains more polite.

Acoustically, the Petros FS definitely sounds "smaller" (not a bad thing) than an Olson SJ.

As for the T13/YR switch, I will candidly admit that I thought the YR was way prettier and that was the main reason for making the change.
Old 05-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
.......In terms of response, the two guitars are also quite different -- the Olson being quite willing to bark in the bass and mids whereas the Petros remains more polite........
Your 'polite' descriptor seems similar to a descriptor I used for my last commission (mine being 'reserved/controlled'). Seemed like some folks could relate to this means of describing its tone and others were confused by it. I guess it only matters if the builder builds what the player wants.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 05-06-2014 at 04:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop