The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Default Proper pull off technique

I have been practising pull offs and one thing I have noticed is the finger with which I pull off hits the higher strings and makes some noise. How can I avoid this?
Old 10-21-2014, 04:54 PM

This is a good topic for me too. For me, a "pull-off" is more of a "flick-off" with my finger straightening. I don't know if I described that very well but I'm in danger of hitting the lower (tonally) stings. I look forward to hearing what the experts say.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:07 PM

The finger holding down the string that is pulled off, can also mute the higher string.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
The finger holding down the string that is pulled off, can also mute the higher string.
Yes, when I am pulling off with my ring finger I try to mute the higher strings with my index finger, but still when I pull off my ring finger hits the higher strings and makes some sound.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
This is what I do... pulling off to an open string... I let my pull off finger go to the string below and rest there. Or you could another finger to keep the string below muted.

I also sometimes mute the string below with the middle finger of the picking hand.

If I don't use any muting technique, then I end up creating noise also.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse777 View Post
Yes, when I am pulling off with my ring finger I try to mute the higher strings with my index finger, but still when I pull off my ring finger hits the higher strings and makes some sound.
Try pulling off with the ring finger and letting the ring finger slip down and rest on the string below.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Charter Member

Motion is:

J

Do a forum search. It (how to do clean pull-offs) has been covered in detail many times.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-21-2014, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

Hi ih777...

What are called pull-offs are sometimes pulled, sometimes pushed, sometimes tapped on the way by the note.

I'm not sure they are intended to be silently performed. Music is organic and sometimes passionate. Passionate playing makes sound. Doesn't mean we cannot improve techniques and be a bit more musical.

Trills are a good way to practice perfecting them, and in the process lightening the pressure and accompanying sounds. Trills can be played with different combinations of fingers, on adjacent frets, skipping frets, our freeing them from open strings. Trills all involve hammering-on and pulling-off notes.

Hope this contributes to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

With practice comes speed and strength. As your strength increases, your follow through distance will decrease and you will avoid hitting the adjacent strings.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-28-2014, 10:43 AM

hand position. get a book on classical guitar. just good left hand position is all you need.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write