The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Default Finger picking and strumming in the same song?

For my reference, are there songs in which you employ both strumming and finger picking? If so, which ones?
Old 10-12-2014, 08:40 AM

"Death Don't Have No Mercy" by Gary Davis. I'm fairly sure from trying to learn it that there are strummed chords and fingerpicked sections too. I also play "Hotel California" on the 12 string with fingerpicks and strum the chorus chords as well.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-12-2014, 08:54 AM

Listen to anything Roger McGuinn plays.

His brand of hybrid picking (two metal fingerpicks on his middle fingers plus a flat pick between his thumb and first finger) makes just about anything possible if you too can learn how to do it!
Old 10-12-2014, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

A rather common thing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Charter Member

Too numerous to list here... the method I employ is holding a flat pick between thumb and forefinger, then using the middle, ring and pinkie fingers to pick with as needed/desired...

I spent a long time learning how to "Travis pick" (alternating bass) when I was a kid in the middle 60's... but I always liked strumming too. After too many times of dropping my flat pick to pick up my thumb pick (not to mention how often I would forget one or the other!) while I was at a gig, I finally decided to use the technique I employ now for everything I played...

It worked out very well; I switched in the late 70's, so I'm really accustomed to it now; lets me go back and forth between finger picking and strumming seamlessly within the same tune... I will frequently use the back of my nails on my picking hand to get a down strum, too...

I'd guess it would be easier to list the tunes where I don't use both finger picking and strumming... songs like Angie (Davey Graham), Black Sheep Boy and The Lady Came From Baltimore (Tim Hardin) and Kathy's Song (Paul Simon) are good examples of songs where I only use finger picking...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-12-2014, 12:32 PM

All over the place...and not just travis-picking either.

This works really well in "Lewis and Clark" by Tommy Emmanuel, for example.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

+1 Too numerous to list.

I'm an all-5-bare-fingers picker. Most songs are a mix of picking & strumming. The ragtime song in my signature offers an example where it's mostly picking but some strumming during the vocal verses.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my

Last edited by Random1643; 10-19-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:00 PM

I use a thumbpick. I just flip the index finger up to the bottom of the thumbpick, and it's now a flatpick. Works well. There is also all the various classical guitar strums with the back of the nails, and, as alluded to above, you can dispose of the pick, and just use the bare hand. All works fine.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:27 PM

I do this all the time (you can find several examples on my YouTube page if you want examples).

When I'm switching back and forth between fingerpicking and strumming, I'm often doing the strumming mostly with my index finger (I have good nails on my right hand).

I also switch between flatpicking and strumming with a pick, or play hybrids of the two merged together (this is not an unusual thing to do of course).
Old 10-12-2014, 11:48 PM

Many, many fingerstyle blues songs incorporate both picking and various types of strumming.

Rainsong Shorty SG
Rainsong P12T
All the Martins, Gibsons, and others are gone.
Old 10-14-2014, 09:47 AM

for fast shreds I hold a pick and use my other three fingers where I need them for a tone or just what ever ..if I am wanting my thumb for a certain tone or effect like slap style on a bass ill just drop the pick and grab another when I want that tone the pick provides or to play fast pinch harmonics.. it is all about the tone of a note or phrase for me.
Old 10-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickwaugh View Post
I use a thumbpick. I just flip the index finger up to the bottom of the thumbpick, and it's now a flatpick. Works well.

I prefer thinner picks on acoustics and wish I could find some thin thumbpicks so that I could use the method you describe.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:22 PM

Smile

My thanks to all who responded. I can always count on finding new ideas!
Old 10-21-2014, 05:56 PM

I've never used a pick with my acoustic. If I need that type of strumming I use the tops of my nails for a very pronounced (ringy type) strum or use the fleshy side of my thumb for a normal strum. Any song with an occasional or random chord.

For fast and steady strumming I alternate nail/flesh side of index finger. An example might be: Posion - Every rose Has its thorn, Stairway to Heaven pre-solo break

Or for a really fast strum use a two or three finger plucking motion.
and example of this would be: intro to Heart - Crazy on you. Actually thinking about this, not sure how I would play this.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Guitar Gourmet

There are cases where I alternate between the two in a single song. Often when I begin singing I'll downshift from fingerpicking to strumming. To strum I simply form my thumb and index into the shape they would be in if I was holding a pick and slightly exaggerate the wrist motion so that my nails don't catch. Learned that when I was first starting as young teen and didn't have money for picks.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write