The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-27-2014, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Has CAGED helped you?

Before I go searching for a good source of CAGED, has it made a difference in your guitar life? Knowledge is always good, but does it make sense to learn or should songs, scales and fret board technique be all that you really need to progress (and tons of practice).

What did you get out of it? (CAGED)

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Before I go searching for a good source of CAGED, has it made a difference in your guitar life? Knowledge is always good, but does it make sense to learn or should songs, scales and fret board technique be all that you really need to progress (and tons of practice).

Knowing triad chord shapes throughout the neck is something major that I gained from the CAGED system.

Especially useful for playing along with others (that don't know them).

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 09-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

CAGED is so simple, I don't think you really need a book. If you can play those 5 shapes as bar chords (for example, an A barred at the 5th fret is the "E" shape), or play any given chord at 5 places up and down the neck, you've got it. Play a cowboy C in 1st position, then play it at the 3rd fret (335553) and at the 5th fret (875558 - the "G" shape) and the 8th) (8-10-10-9-8-8 - the E shape) and then the 10th (x10-10-12-13-12 - the "D" shape) - then that's it! Youve done CAGED. You should be able to find any chord anywhere on the neck using one of those 5 shapes, and play all of it or just part of it, and then also visualize the scale patterns that fall around those shapes. I explained CAGED in one page, with chord diagrams in my DADGAD book, and surely there are web pages that do that as well.

I think CAGED is useful - like you say, all knowledge is useful, tho I think being able to find the 3 inversions of major and minor triads on any adjacent set of 3 strings is more practical and more useful for the music I play, at least.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I found CAGED helpful, but not really because I'm going to form all of those chord shapes. Some of those chord shapes I will never form unless I'm just doing it as an exercise.

As Doug said very well, I found CAGED helpful because of the scales that lie within the shapes. They helped me learn the fretboard much better. And the scales will reinforce the triads and their inversions.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

Yes, CAGED is all about mental visualization. Several of the shapes border on unusable in practice, but "seeing" them is useful.
Old 09-27-2014, 05:24 PM

it's usually of great use to know where all the notes and intervals are on the fretboard in standard tuning. caged is one way of organizing them that is reasonably straightforward and comprehendible. in the end, all methods of organizing major scale tones lead to the same thing. caged is a tried and true way to get there.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

Ok, thanks everyone!

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM

I recently learned the fretboard shapes for the five modal positions. This lumps phrygian with lydian, and locrian with ionian. What it does is show you the note patterns on the neck for each position, which, when taken together, cover the entire neck for any major or minor scale, (or any of the other modes.) This has been really helpful in my improv, as I can both starting points and shapes in any key now. It wasn't that hard. Basically five patterns of notes on the neck.

Any of these things are useful. It gets you off the first few frets, and makes it easier for you to play. Worth spending a few months over in some practice time.
Old 09-28-2014, 08:49 PM

I stumbled in here. Where's the best place to start with CAGED? Webpage? Book?
LG-1
Sheryl Crow CW,
Les Paul Standard
Martin D28
LX1E
M36
Taylor 210e
Fender Tele '52AVRI
Musicmaster Bass
Various no name guitars, including one electric I love the best
Old 09-28-2014, 09:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by badguitarist View Post
I stumbled in here. Where's the best place to start with CAGED? Webpage? Book?
A search on google is always a pretty easy way to find stuff. Here's the top two hits for "CAGED guitar", both of which look good, and show nice diagrams of the chords

http://www.cagedguitarsystem.net/
http://www.premierguitar.com/article...e-caged-system

There are books, videos, and so on if you don't get it after reading those 2 pages.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM

Curious, is there a better system than the CAGED?
Old 09-29-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Knowledge is always good, but does it make sense to learn or should songs, scales and fret board technique be all that you really need to progress (and tons of practice).
caged system will help you with songs, scales and fret board technique very much.

I used barrett tagliarino's, "guitar fretboard workbook." i always suggest this book to anyone wanting to learn the fretboard. you don't need caged to enjoy playing the guitar, but it's a great systematic approach for understanding the fretboard. it manages scales in a way that is tailored to the guitar. it's likely that once you learn it you'll wish you had learned it sooner. my opinions of course.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:08 PM

CAGED is just a way of looking at fretboard and seeing chord voicing possibilities. I don't find the A and D shapes to be very useful as full six-string chords, but parts of those shapes are very useful for transitional passages and such. Knowing your way around the fretboard using CAGED principles will take your playing to another level. If you aren't already comfortable with various chord inversions learning CAGED will help you.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:

I found CAGED to be a useful framework for orienting myself on the guitar. "The Guitar Fretboard Workbook" is a good place to start.

The thing, for me, is that learning CAGED made me realize that the reason you learn the whole neck isn't so you can move up and down during a solo, but rather so that you have any given scale under your fingers at any given moment. This is particularly relevant when you're working with chord tones in your solos (which is why the same author that did "The Guitar Fretboard Workbook" also did "Chord Tone Soloing.")

I'm glad I learned CAGED and worked through The Guitar Fretboard Workbook. That being said, the thing that really made a difference to my playing was developing my ear.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

I tend to think of the CAGED system as a means of viewing guideposts on the guitar from which you can associate just about anything with. Chord inversions, scales, arpeggios and an assortment of 'licks' can be easily transposed from one key to another using the system.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write