The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Default IMIX

I believe they are separate, not noticing ay blend of tones happening on one neck. There's also an additional switch not shown in the instructions. I'll have to ask them.
Old 01-06-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
I believe they are separate, not noticing ay blend of tones happening on one neck. There's also an additional switch not shown in the instructions. I'll have to ask them.
DO NOT TOUCH THAT ONE DOUGAL !

Sorry, "Father Ted" reference there, the Irish lads will get it.

Last edited by Long Jon; 01-06-2017 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Added Dougal and a forbidden button photo evidence.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Wonder if they are using each input on the Imix preamp for each neck and thus a single pickup on each bridge? They did that on mine with a Bband preamp.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-08-2017, 06:06 PM

Default Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
DO NOT TOUCH THAT ONE DOUGAL !

Sorry, "Father Ted" reference there, the Irish lads will get it.

"Feck"! Now you tell me. Just don't expect me to write a 200-word composition on "Why I Should Get the Parachute"

By trial and error looks to me like there's a separate pickup in each bridge. In stereo mode the two wheels control each neck's volume independently. I'll send an email to Sean tonight asking how these work.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:12 PM

Do you get additional resonance with these double-neck guitars? Sometimes when I'm doing slower single note work on my acoustic I make sure I'm not muting any of the strings so I get sympathetic ringing in them. This adds a bit of natural reverb. So I would think that when you play the six-string neck, all of those 12 strings on the other neck must be offering you additional sympathetic ringing. This should create a reverb type effect. Am I correct?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:51 PM

Default Sympathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
Do you get additional resonance with these double-neck guitars? Sometimes when I'm doing slower single note work on my acoustic I make sure I'm not muting any of the strings so I get sympathetic ringing in them. This adds a bit of natural reverb. So I would think that when you play the six-string neck, all of those 12 strings on the other neck must be offering you additional sympathetic ringing. This should create a reverb type effect. Am I correct?
I tend to get more of it the opposite way as I can easily and often just naturally mute the 12 string neck without thinking about it.

If I don't mute, I do get a bit of shimmer out of the 12. Thanks for bringing that up, I do have some shimmer effects, but I tried doing this on purpose after reading your post, might be an interesting natural effect to try and control.
Old 01-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
From my experience with a 6/12 Chimaera.....

There certainly is additional resonance as in sympathetic string vibration from the unplayed neck and although it must be adding a little something to the overall sound, I certainly don't hear it as a natural reverb and honestly can't really tell if it's adding anything beneficial. Maybe others listening might, but no one has ever said anything to that effect. Upon abrupt ending of a song, I haven't wanted the lingering tone, so either I simultaneously stop the unplayed neck or if I'm only playing one neck for a given song, I have the option to place a capo on the unplayed neck (at the 12th fret seems to work best) which eliminates the string vibration altogether. I do play numerous songs where I jump back and forth between necks in a given song sometimes to add dynamics to a chorus in songs traditionally played on a 6 string. Takes good timing. Great fun!
Old 01-08-2017, 11:59 PM

Default Amps

I just got done doing some experimenting with amps I have. The sympathetic ringing is more pronounced when playing through the clean channel of my electric guitar amp with no DI box. The 12 string shimmers. Not something I plan on doing with the 12 string as it does not sound good in that amp without a DI or preamp. When going through my PA, I can hear it, but like Acousticado said doesn't add much. The shimmer effect isn't there. I'm thinking in order to boost that ringing, it will kill the overall tone of the guitar, especially the 12.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:21 AM

The ringing could be cool and it could also be a pain in the butt. Good to hear that it's not that big of a deal. I'm a long way off from pulling the trigger on double neck, but I thought I would ask while there was the conversation going on. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-09-2017, 12:29 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
The ringing could be cool and it could also be a pain in the butt. Good to hear that it's not that big of a deal. I'm a long way off from pulling the trigger on double neck, but I thought I would ask while there was the conversation going on. Thanks for the info!
And like I said, unless the player is using both necks in a given song where the sympathetic tone really is unheard, it's completely eliminated with a capo placed high on the unplayed neck.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 AM

Thanks so much for the video.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Great guys... Now I am lusting after one of these. Thanks...

How is it in the case in terms of size and weight when compared to say the X20 in the Hiscocks Liteflight case? Just curious...
Old 01-12-2017, 04:35 AM

Default Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
Great guys... Now I am lusting after one of these. Thanks...

How is it in the case in terms of size and weight when compared to say the X20 in the Hiscocks Liteflight case? Just curious...
In the gig bag that came with the instrument, I get about 12.5 lbs using a cheap fishing scale. Is there also a flight case for it? Something I've thought about if I decide to take multiple instruments. I'm really cautious about hat else in my Ford Escape might roll around with it.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:36 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
In the gig bag that came with the instrument, I get about 12.5 lbs using a cheap fishing scale. Is there also a flight case for it? Something I've thought about if I decide to take multiple instruments. I'm really cautious about hat else in my Ford Escape might roll around with it.
Emerald shipped mine in a hard shell case designed for the Chimaera. Nice quality. When I fly, I place the guitar/case in the box it came in and I have no worry entering it as checked baggage (I have no choice if I want to take it with me). Now that Emerald has a gigbag designed for the Chimaera, I plan to order one for local carry.
Old 01-13-2017, 01:07 AM

Oh man, what a beautiful guitar.

Red one on order - can't wait.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber