The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-28-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Where?

In a recent thread, the question was asked, "When to Start Looking for Jam Buddies?"

My question is a spin off of that. Where do you find jam buddies?

Just curious how folks on the forum approach this.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:44 AM

Craigslist ads, bulletin boards in music stores, MeetUp, etc are good starts. I've borrowed a trick my bassist/guitarist friend discovered - wear a hat with your favorite guitar brand on it. He found a band in need of both me and him that way. Other players recognize it and will ask if you play too.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 AM

I was going to make a few almost similar suggestions, but decided against it, hoping someone smarter would post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
wear a hat with your favorite guitar brand on it
and wow... what a great idea

Good conversation starter/advertisement/hair loss cover-up all in one.

But I am serious, that is a great suggestion, now I have get a Fender hat... because my acoustic is pretty much a no-name brand
Old 10-28-2014, 11:24 AM

I used to worry a lot about that. I had a hard time finding buddies to jam with, and, when I was younger, I played mostly bass guitar and my best mate is a drummer, so we went around and played with people, but couldn't really settle in any band. I guess we were too demanding, everyone else was just doing it for fun and the two of us have always had our minds set on being professional musicians and would not make any compromise about it. I think we were good for our age, but the problem is we were in a small town and it just wasn't any easy finding people who'd secrefice so much of their lives to the music as we were ready to do. so we struggled over the years to find good musicians and good people to work with.
At some point it also had a very bad turn on our friendship. We started accusing one another on being too dificult to work with and therefore not very accesable towards other musicians. So we decided not to work on our original stuff together again, but to cooperate in any cover-oriented band if there's a chance for it. Now we are best friends again and we hang around together occasionaly, but we don't play much, 'cause he's primeraly oriented to jazz, and I mostly play my original singer-songwriter stuff.
I also think that it has become easier for me to find people to jam with now that I'm a bit older and the age of jamming buddies is no longer an obstacle...
When you get older the age difference between people you hang out with becomes less and less important. When I was eighteen I suppose it would be most unlikely to sit around, chat and jam with people who are 20-25 years older then myself, now that I'm 39 it's not an issue at all.
The one remaining problem, though, is living in a small town, simply because if you want something else, it's unavailable. I'm half way through recording my solo debut and it's very annoying that I still cannot find people to play certain instruments for me, 'cause there just doesn't exist such a veriaty of musicians here, no schools that teach cello or vibraphone or whatever else comes to mind, only guitars, drums and keyboard players live around here...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write