The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:27 PM

I personally love having high end guitars around the house. I did, however, buy a used Epiphone EJ-C200CE for the office to jam with co-workers.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
I have seen many signatures on this forum, where it seems many out there have several high-end, expensive acoustics.

(I need to be careful with my question, else the bashers will come-out..)

Anyway, point is, does anyone out there own just a low-priced guitar, and is fine with that?

Is it really necessary to own several expensive acoustics if you are just noodling-around at home?

ok, let the personal attacks begin..!
I believe it is absolutely 100% neccessary to own several expensive acoustics, if one's guitars are not expensive then they are probably not real guitars! What if you were happily strumming away on a fine summer's day and happened per change to gaze downwards and to your abject horror found yourself playing a spoon or a slipper? Its a scary world out there...
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 10-23-2014, 01:40 PM

I think the key word in the OPs statement is JUST. Would I be happy JUST playing low priced guitars----NO! Would I be happy JUST playing high end guitars---Again---NO!

I want both as each has it's place in my book.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster7 View Post
What if you were happily strumming away on a fine summer's day and happened per change to gaze downwards and to your abject horror found yourself playing a spoon or a slipper? Its a scary world out there...
If you recorded a spoon-and-slipper album, I would be first in line to buy one! PLEASE!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Default anybody happy with just stirring the pot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft103 View Post
Just play what makes you happy.

If someone has disposable income and wants to buy high end guitars and that makes them happy, that's great for them. If someone likes to play cheap guitars regardless of what they can afford and those make them happy, then that's great for them.

Our time on this earth is way too short to worry about what others do to make themselves happy. Just make yourself happy!
This sums it up.

Bottom line: when a low-priced acoustic made sense for me, I found one that worked for me. I am now in a position where I can afford guitars that are priced higher and am happy with those.

But - without bashing the OP at all - why stir the pot?
Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
But - without bashing the OP at all - why stir the pot?
"Stirring the pot" to some is just interesting conversation to people like me. It's just a question, and you'd think people with higher end guitars would use this as an opportunity to explain why they bought them.

To the OP. I WISH I could be satisfied with only having lower-priced guitars, but unfortunately I was bitten by the tone-bug, and the tone was attached to some more expensive guitars.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:03 PM

as with everything on the agf, to each their own. what you enjoy others may not.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-23-2014, 02:06 PM

I could be happy with just a low priced acoustic.
In fact I have begun downsizing and my guess is many of the lower priced guitars will survive. Traditionally lower priced acoustics have been my favorite. It took a D-42 to knock my Chinese made Guild F40 off it's perch.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:08 PM

Speaking of the low end... I'm so excited...I have a line on a pristine 70's yamaha!!! wooooots Gonna see it next week.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-23-2014, 02:17 PM

I was very happy with a low-end acoustic...up until the time that I could afford a high-end acoustic.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I played lower end guitars for years. Not one over $400, some much less. I was happy.

I decided to go a little better. I was still happy.

Right now I've a mix of 4 expensive ones and a bunch of cheaper ones. And I am still happy.

The nicer guitars sound a little better, but not proportionally $$$ to sound better. But doggone it, I wanted them, could afford them and got them.

I just bought a used EC Ibanez AF75. $300. I'm happy about that one too.

Run what you brung.

Great answer!
Old 10-23-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
"Stirring the pot" to some is just interesting conversation to people like me. It's just a question, and you'd think people with higher end guitars would use this as an opportunity to explain why they bought them.

To the OP. I WISH I could be satisfied with only having lower-priced guitars, but unfortunately I was bitten by the tone-bug, and the tone was attached to some more expensive guitars.
Again - I have gotten to a place where I can afford higher-priced guitars, found ones that, to me, clearly sound and play better and got them. I really appreciate the guitars that I have.

I wish I could get a better sense of what you are after with all of the threads you have started recently, AmericanEagle. Are really trying to figure out how to find a guitar? It always feels like there is more to your threads.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
If you recorded a spoon-and-slipper album, I would be first in line to buy one! PLEASE!

Working on it! I may need to upgrade my cheap slippers first though, as im not entirely sure they are real either. The spoon is 'high end' however. Its been a long day...
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMan View Post
Again - I have gotten to a place where I can afford higher-priced guitars, found ones that, to me, clearly sound and play better and got them. I really appreciate the guitars that I have.

I wish I could get a better sense of what you are after with all of the threads you have started recently, AmericanEagle. Are really trying to figure out how to find a guitar? It always feels like there is more to your threads.
I know you answered the question. I'm just saying there's no reason for anyone to feel like he's ragging on high-end guitar owners and thus stirring the pot.

I don't think he's "after" anything in this thread except some conversation. People need to stop looking for ulterior motives and hidden agendas and just enjoy talking guitars! Ironically, it's usually when people start talking about or accusing the person of some agenda (i.e. trying to "read between the lines") that the thread starts to go south.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
I know you answered the question. I'm just saying there's no reason for anyone to feel like he's ragging on high-end guitar owners and thus stirring the pot.

I don't think he's "after" anything in this thread except some conversation. People need to stop looking for ulterior motives and hidden agendas and just enjoy talking guitars! Ironically, it's usually when people start talking about or accusing the person of some agenda (i.e. trying to "read between the lines") that the thread starts to go south.
Uhh down here we call it goin north....just sayin nyuck nyuck nyuck
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion