The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM

I concur with those mentioning seeing a good show.

I'll also add that planning on doing your own "show" is great motivation - even if its not a paying gig ... just book in your mind a chance to perform something for somebody and it can really get you rolling.
2006 Martin D28
1992 Yamaha LL35
1976 Gibson Les Paul
1966 Magnatone Tornado
Old 10-23-2014, 10:42 AM

The desire to play is usually a unique balance between finding a song that you love that is challenging enough to play yet you can find some progress in. I am currently teaching myself Classic GAS, let me tell you is it challenging, maybe a little too much so as sometimes i get disheartened that i will never be able to play it.

Always be learning new songs, nothing worse than just playing the same old songs over and over.

Secondly and equally as important, find someone else who plays and get guitars in both your hands at the same time. Discuss, much around, jam, whatever even if its via skype with a teach, nothing is more motivating that human interaction, its difficult to keep playing when your always isolated in your guitar spot and no one ever hears you play. And that does not mean you need to be good either, i know i let this get in the way a lot personally, but the truth is even if all you can play is single fingered Old Mcdonald has a farm it can still be shared.

Hope that helps.
Taylor: GS Mini
Maton: 225
Traveler Guitar: Escape Mark III
Epiphone: 220
Old 10-23-2014, 11:07 AM

My problem is similar, except I just want to play easy songs instead of pushing on to more difficult chords and picking.
Basically, I'm just finding a bunch of songs I know I can do instead of focusing on the more difficult ones.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The three ways I jump start enthusiasm is by learning a new song, taking a lesson, and my personal favorite, buying a new guitar.
Closing in on the delivery date of new Martin. I think it's adding to the frustration because I was planning on being a rock star appon it's arrival
Thanks for all the suggestions
I just need to give myself a stiff kick in the butt

Lefties:
Taylor 110
00-28vs (on order)
Old 10-23-2014, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolfool View Post
After 3 1/2 months of playing, I find myself doing far more Noodleing than practicing. Although much progress has been made since the beginning, Lately I find it being easier to talk myself into distractions to avoid a serious practice session.
I know its all about the journey, and I love picking it up and noodling every day.
I'm hoping this is a temporary plateau triggered by newbie frustration.
It may be time to consider an intervention.
I know I can't be the only one that's ever been in "this place"
How did you snap out of it ?
My perception, why make work out of a hobby ? I enjoy the way I sound, I get enjoyment out of playing ? Why do I want to make playing guitar work ? I see no reason,

H
Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonics101 View Post
My perception, why make work out of a hobby ? I enjoy the way I sound, I get enjoyment out of playing ? Why do I want to make playing guitar work ? I see no reason,

H
To get better and ultimately be more satisfied, I guess.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:10 PM

The question becomes, how long do you want to suck? Play to get better, the better you get the more you are motivated. The more motivated you are the faster you will learn and the more enjoyable it will be.

Put the time in and one day you will wake up and the rewards will be there. It is discipline in the beginning and self sustaining enjoyment in the end.

Frank Sanns
Old 10-23-2014, 02:13 PM

You can never make work out of a passion. You may want to call music a hobby but it means a lot more than a mere hobby to me.

For me a hobby would be something like collecting glass bottles something that I can take or leave at the drop of a hat. Music is a lot more to me than that and while there may be a day that I can't play and can't sing it will remain my passion. That's far from a hobby.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-23-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon/Tinker View Post
Noodling is all I've ever done. What's wrong with that?
I agree, nothing wrong with noodling.
I 'discover' a little phrase or chord progression, lock it away or try linking with other pieces in the memory bank, slow it down, speed it up, strum, finger-style, flat-pick,try it out on a nylon string or 12-string or even baritone guitar. Sometimes things work and sound good, sometimes they don't.
I enjoy this much more myself than trying to learn other people's songs but be aware that other people usually like to hear 'recognizeable' tunes when listening to you play.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 10-23-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Carter View Post
You can never make work out of a passion. You may want to call music a hobby but it means a lot more than a mere hobby to me.

For me a hobby would be something like collecting glass bottles something that I can take or leave at the drop of a hat. Music is a lot more to me than that and while there may be a day that I can't play and can't sing it will remain my passion. That's far from a hobby.
Good for you Kip
I think for Me, I would catagorize it as a hobby. I started later in life than most and I don't have lofty goals.
I don't want to gig or play for others. Noodleing on the couch playing intro's or solo sections of my favorites is my current goal.
I suppose it requires a certain passion to be willing to put the effort into it in the first place. Work is certainly what makes the process work.
As mentioned the more work you put in, the faster the process leads to more rewarding results.
Like I said I'm not there yet :-(

Lefties:
Taylor 110
00-28vs (on order)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion