The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
They went from having about 12 employees to 3 soon it will just be one if they keep this up. They will be making 12-16 guitars a year if they aren't careful with this IMO. All I can say is buy a Goodall.
Guess that explains the $2K price increase... Even if Matt's other businesses are doing well, at some point the accountants have to put their feet down. Either that, or he just read Henry Juskiewicz's "How To Win Friends and Influence Potential Gibson Buyers" book.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:14 PM

I own a 4.0 Cedar ? Rosewood and they are VERY nice and like someone said for those that own one it just went up lol I was told by Dealer today the used one he has will be 2K more NOV 1 so did one other dealer I called.
Froggy Bottom H12
Martin 1972 D-35
Taylor 2015 All Koa 314ce
Taylor 2011 12 Fret GCe Fall LTD
Taylor GS mini hog,Koa,Holden,Walnut
Taylor New 810 e 1st Edition
Taylor 914 Dave Matthews Model
Martin 0042SC John Mayer:guitar
Martin CS OOO41-15
Old 10-23-2014, 06:34 PM

It's their business as a company how they operate. As a consumer it doesn't give me a warm fuzzy about their company. Life selling bows must be good.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:41 PM

It is what the market will bear....I have no problem with them asking whatever price they think fits their guitar. That said raising old stock by that amount is a truly classless move with no regard for the guitar community or its dealers. Forcing a dealer to raise their prices when they have committed their purchase dollars on a guitar at a specific price......maybe more margin IF they can sell but maybe much more time sitting on their shelf.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperB23 View Post
They will be making 12-16 guitars a year if they aren't careful with this IMO.
Perhaps that's the intent.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 PM

Given who McPherson's heavy users are, I'm surprised this move didn't come much sooner.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:36 PM

Default Mcpherson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedog52 View Post
No offense, but I thought they were already overpriced, by a LOT!
Personally agreed, though respect others right to choose to buy one. I deal in books part-time and have been doing so for over 20 years.

There is a saying in the book business,

"What's a book worth? Whatever you pay for it!"

There are guitars that each of us probably would and would not touch, what are they worth....! Whatever we pay for them.

If the $2000.00 increase is true I would have some personally kept feelings about "How does he justify that amount!" However it also is a thought I will after this keep personal. I will say if the amount is correct then, If he has the customer flow he needs after raising the price, then I guess to those people it is worth it.

What's a Mcpherson worth! Whatever you pay for it! If he can find enough people that to them it is worth paying that for it, then I would say Have a nice time.
B.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 AM

I spoke with the folks at Mcpherson yesterday and can confirm the price increase. Apparently they will be creating a more ornate baseline guitar for "general" production; more intricate inlays and different tuners, some finer detail work on binding joints, gold frets possibly.
Production of these guitars will be around 30ish guitars per year once the current stock in various states of production are finished out. These guitars will start at the current price point plus 2K and up.
The rest of the production will be custom order guitars that will be priced at 10K+.
One other point is that the builders over at Mcpherson seem to have no intention of changing the structure or sound of these guitars per se.
Might be a good time to grab one...I have been toying with the idea of getting one for a while.
Not sure if the used market will follow the 2K price increase at the end of the month. It will be interesting to see what happens over on EBAY/Gbase.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:43 AM

Heard they will be concentrating on their new Carbon Fiber guitars? Anyone confirm? margins may be larger?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 10-24-2014, 09:07 AM

Yes they will be focusing on the carbon fiber's as well
Old 10-24-2014, 09:14 AM

Duplicate post.

Last edited by afoll; 10-24-2014 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
Old 10-24-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoll View Post
I spoke with the folks at Mcpherson yesterday and can confirm the price increase. Apparently they will be creating a more ornate baseline guitar for "general" production; more intricate inlays and different tuners, some finer detail work on binding joints, gold frets possibly.
Production of these guitars will be around 30ish guitars per year once the current stock in various states of production are finished out. These guitars will start at the current price point plus 2K and up.
The rest of the production will be custom order guitars that will be priced at 10K+.
One other point is that the builders over at Mcpherson seem to have no intention of changing the structure or sound of these guitars per se.
Might be a good time to grab one...I have been toying with the idea of getting one for a while.
Not sure if the used market will follow the 2K price increase at the end of the month. It will be interesting to see what happens over on EBAY/Gbase.
All of that makes sense from a business perspective (i.e. custom orders, finer detail work on new instruments, etc.). But it doesn't answer why current stock are going up in price. I understand raising prices on new models with additional work being done in the construction process, but raising prices on stock that has been on a shelf for 2-2 1/2 years seems to be a strange business decision.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar-Meister View Post
All of that makes sense from a business perspective (i.e. custom orders, finer detail work on new instruments, etc.). But it doesn't answer why current stock are going up in price. I understand raising prices on new models with additional work being done in the construction process, but raising prices on stock that has been on a shelf for 2-2 1/2 years seems to be a strange business decision.
Its been done several times in the luxury car market, quite successfully. McPherson guitars occupy a similar niche within the guitar market. Its a decision that they are hoping will get them more money, and historically such moves have usually worked.

A basic rule of business is the 80/20 rule, which states that roughly eighty percent of your revenue comes from twenty percent of your customer base. Any smart business will cater to that twenty percent. McPherson's heavy users are likely affluent people that are buying status symbols as much as a good guitar. The larger the price, the bigger the status symbol. By increasing the price of the existing guitar, McPherson has instantly made them more desirable to their heavy users.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:56 AM

Perhaps they are being seen as a Veblen good.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddywac View Post
I own a 4.0 Cedar ? Rosewood and they are VERY nice and like someone said for those that own one it just went up lol I was told by Dealer today the used one he has will be 2K more NOV 1 so did one other dealer I called.

That is interesting. I can see the new (new, nos, etc) guitars going up in price due to the way that McPherson handles their guitars with dealers and being new, McPherson still owns them, but should the used ones go up in the same way when the dealer owns them (unless the dealer believes that raising the price that much won't inhibit the sale of the instrument)?

I own a 3.5 XP that has maple back and sides with Englemann spruce top. I preferred it over any of the rosewood models, though they were very nice too. To me, maple seems to really work well with the way that McPherson builds their instruments.

As for having an opinion on McPherson's move from a business perspective, I am not a businessman and therefore can't really say whether that was a "right" move for McPherson or not. The guitar buying market is much larger than me and my circumstances, so I can't just assume everybody is like me. I am obviously glad to have gotten my McPherson before the price increase, but then I am not rich and also not a collector. My McPherson is my one really expensive (to me) guitar purchase and I am very happy with it - happy enough to not be wondering if I should have gotten something else even after now having it for two years, which (to me) would be an awful feeling considering the amount of money involved. I see guitars at least as expensive (when new) as my McPherson go up for sale in that sub-forum and wonder what went wrong. I hope I never feel the need to do that. I think a McPherson is good enough to not have to find out.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion