The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I use EJ19's on all of my guitars--ideal combination for me anyway.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 09-18-2014, 11:55 AM

I use D'Addario Bluegrass on my D-28, and really like them for the reasons others have state, playability of lights with bass of mediums. I am actually interested in trying John Pearse bluegrass or RARE bluegrass just to try something different. Anyone know how these might compare to the D'Addario's tone and playability wise?
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 09-18-2014, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I use d'addario exp19 or ej19 on all my guitars, just like having the lower bottom end, and works well for alternate tunings.
Old 09-18-2014, 01:31 PM

I use the John Pearse Bluegrass gauge strings on a couple of guitars, and plan to use them on the custom 12 fret Triple O that's being built for me. As with any new instrument, that might or might not be the proper string set for that particular guitar, but that's where I intend to begin with it, anyway.

whm
Old 09-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

I do think guitars that are a little stiffer, that need heavier strings to drive the top better, benefit from bluegrass strings. I had a Taylor GS8 from 2007 that sounded anemic with anything but medium strings. But I really dislike medium gauge high E and B strings. I found that DR Sunbeams (round core) helped me deal with the stiffer medium strings and so I had the DR people make me up a half dozen sets of kind of "bluegrass" strings. That is, the G, D, A and low E strings were all medium gauge and the unwound, higher E and B strings were light gauge. These strings did help me get better tone with this Taylor GS8.

My default strings for my guitars are generally light gauge.

- Glenn
Old 09-18-2014, 01:35 PM

Default Mismo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I use the John Pearse Bluegrass gauge strings on a couple of guitars, and plan to use them on the custom 12 fret Triple O that's being built for me. As with any new instrument, that might or might not be the proper string set for that particular guitar, but that's where I intend to begin with it, anyway.

whm
John Pearse Bluegrass... put these on a Larrivée P-09 Flamed Maple back guitar and was WOWéd by them. Plan to try them on my other guitars when they need new strings...
Old 09-18-2014, 01:36 PM

I use them and don't play a lot of Bluegrass. Lots of bass and can do bends with ease. Works for me.
Old 09-18-2014, 02:30 PM

I use them on my dreadnoughts and my 000 - a great set for my playing needs.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Al View Post
I use "light" gauge strings . . . but prefer the sets with a .054" low E, rather than .053" so I'm partway there.

I think it's interesting that Taylor seems to have gone the opposite way of "Bluegrass" sets, using Light bottoms and medium tops. I haven't heard that setup in person yet, so I can't comment on it . . . but it does seem intriguing.
This is a great question. I too use a lot of alternate tunings and just bought a RainSong Shorty. The guitar is a short scale 12 fretter with a unidirectional top. It sounds really nice but I was wondering if I could pull out a bit more bass response by using medium lights (012 016 024 035 045 056). The guitar is set up for lights but being a carbon fiber I know that it can handle the extra tension- and this coupled by the fact that the short scale should actually benefit from the extra tension when dropping the E to a C or C#.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:38 PM

I tried mixing a set of Martin mediums and lights on my D18 once to get the same idea but noticed that the sound thinned out a bit and playability wasn't improved enough to worry about so I went back to mediums which sounded better and I wasn't having any difficulty playing them in the first place. If you play a lot with a decent setup mediums are actually pretty easy to play.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:43 PM

The cheapest Martin strings sound best on my Taylor...
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:45 PM

What Wardo said. Just bought a couple sets of Martin Mediums to replace the Bluegrass set I just put on my new D-18, a few days ago.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I took them off after a few days as well - wasn't working so got rid of them..
Old 10-22-2014, 08:47 PM

I also use D'Addario bluegrass strings on my PRS Tonare Grand. They seem to fit the guitar well and give a nice balanced tone and feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Shears View Post
I use them on a PRS Tonare Grand. It's what came on the guitar (new) and what PRS recommends. I've experimented with other strings (mediums) but the bluegrass strings do seem to sound and feel best on this particular guitar.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:57 PM

I actually just ordered a couple of sets of Martin SP bluegrass strings for my D18. I've used D'addario Bluegrass before and liked them, and figured I'd give the Martin's a shot. I liked the mix on my D18, as the lighter treble strings do make playability a bit easier.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion