The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM

For me, it comes down to aesthetics and (maybe) superstitious preference. I think a soft cutaway looks good on a dreadnought or hollow and solid body electrics but not on most other guitars. I also like the idea of having that 'extra bit of guitar' included in the sound package, which may be unfounded, but from a non-scientist's point of view, I imagine that it would make some difference and because of this I am prejudiced in favor of non-cutaways whenever I'm looking with a view to buying. I also find that it's extremely rare for me to want to get so high up the neck of a 14 fret guitar that a cutaway would be the better option. If/when such an occasion came along, I would reach for my Godin Multiac.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:53 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent Brondel View Post
Tim, not to argue a fine point, but what matters to me is the tone produced by the instrument, not the effects the Tonerite has on it. All IME, of course, and I do not use the Tonerite.
A builder after my own heart.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,
Old 12-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff M View Post
Have to take a guitar, tear it apart..add the cutaways, then put it back together to tell.

A bit of a moot point, even then...as guitars with double cutaways are designed (bracing pattern, top construction) to take into account the double cutaway.

http://www.doolinguitars.com/
i suppose one could create some baffles to block the airflow inside the guitar, although the top would still be affected (or not) by the upper bout(s).

it would be cool to have a guitar that one could pull and push and reshape to hear the difference. maybe if it made out of stretchy material over an erector set of bracing. if that all sounds too far out, remember i stash my weed in my upper bout.
Old 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thread diversion... I used to have the same opinion as you Laurent but my viewpoint has certainly changed. It may be the case with some guitars but some guitars {can} be extremely active above the UTB. Case in point, put a ToneRite on a guitar and run your fingertips all over the sound board and report back your findings. You may be very surprised by what you learn?
Let me throw a suggestion in, tongue in cheek.

Perhaps the cutaway reduces the unwanted rattles of the extreme upper bout, that aren't really voiced by the luthier

Seriously though, I own a non-cutaway, two Venetian and one Florentine cutaway guitars. They all sound fabulous and, more importantly, I'm sure they all sound exactly as the luthier intended. The presence or absence of a cutaway would not influence my decision to buy a guitar I liked the sound of one bit, unless I disliked it aesthetically.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 12-06-2011, 02:50 PM

Even if you took a guitar apart and then put it back together again, would it be exactly the same? I’m in the “there isn’t a noticable difference” camp, but my experience is miniscule compared to most of the posters in this thread.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:06 PM

I heard a guitar that had no upper bout, just pear shaped. Yes it was a guitar and not a lute or other instrument. It did not sound like a guitar. Doolins have double cutaways and have a different sound.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:39 PM

"There ain't no money above the upper transverse brace"
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oudface View Post
Im looking at buying a Lowden,and ive found a nice full bodied cedar/mahogany model and a nice sitka spruce/indian rosewood model.The mahogany one is a full bodied jumbo,and the rosewood one is a jumbo with a cut-away.Ive only ever played full bodied guitars,so i have no experience with cutaways on acoustics.Can anyone tell me of any sound differences that exist when a cutaway is involved.Fortunately i have played the mahogany but the rosewood cutaway is about 6 hours away from me! Thanks.
Here's what a Sitka/Rosewood Lowden sounds like. No effects, no post processing (and some might add, no skill )

Larry Pattis' arr of "Waltzing Matilda"

Do I hear a cutaway (not) in there?

I bought mine unplayed (web site had sound clips) and could not have been more pleased. My opinion is that if you liked the Cedar/Mahogany one you played, and you wanted that sound more-so, the S/R would be that. Don't sweat the cutaway for sound, just for look/functionality.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM

One thing to consider is that two individual guitars of the same make and model can sound different from each other, regardless of cutaways or lack thereof.

Logically a differently shaped body with less space inside must sound different, though the question would be whether YOU can tell the difference. I don't think I've ever done a side by side test with one cutaway and one non cutaway version of the same guitar, so no comment there.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
"There ain't no money above the upper transverse brace"

In my case, there aint no money below the UTB either.

Steve
Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 PM

I'm not qualified to argue either way about the air volume and other technical issues. All I can offer is my own personal experience, which is purely anecdotal and not the least bit scientific.

What I have encountered among the many, many, MANY acoustic guitars I have played, at all price points, is that there seem to be more truly great-sounding non-cutaway acoustic guitars than there are truly great-sounding cutaway acoustic guitars. Your chances of getting a superb guitar seem to be a bit better if you stick to non-cutaway instruments.

But I've played lots of superb cutaway guitars, so they do exist.

Real helpful advice, ain't it?

What I suggest to players who are contemplating getting a cutaway instrument is to get one if they find themselves frequently stymied when playing a non-cutaway guitar, and frequently reaching for notes that they can't quite reach.

If that's your situation, you need a cutaway.

If, on the other hand, you make the assumption that your playing style will expand to include those upper octave notes if you got a cutaway, I'd say don't be so certain of that. I made that assumption, and finally got a cutaway guitar, only to discover that I don't really care much for the tone of those high notes on an acoustic guitar. On an electric guitar they're sublime, but on an acoustic they often sound attenuated and not nearly so toneful as the notes lower on the fretboard.

So eventually I got rid of that guitar, and haven't bought a cutaway instrument since.

The moral of the story is: get a cutaway if it suits your playing style. But don't feel it's necessary or essential, because it isn't, especially if you're not constantly reaching for those notes right now.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-06-2011, 08:03 PM

Asking questions is good. But it's important to ask the right questions. And sometimes, you have to accept that there is no answer (forget sometimes, sometimes it's most of the times).

Is your question really "How does a cutaway alter the sound of a guitar"?

If it is, the answer is probably yes, in some small, difficult to discern way that guitarists argue about and have a difficult time quantifying (or, quite often, caring about).

But, maybe you have a different question entirely.

Maybe you are wondering if you will like that cutaway rosewood Lowden you haven't played better than the mahogany Lowden you have played. If that is your question, there is no answer anyone can give you. You need to play the two, and even then you may not know.

Maybe you are wondering, "if I get that cutaway rosewood Lowden, will I one day run across a non-cutaway rosewood Lowden that I will like better than my cutaway Lowden." There is no answer to that question either. Maybe you will, maybe you won't. And if you do, you still won't know if it is because of the cutaway or the top wood or the strings or one of those little ear demons that so enjoy tormenting guitar players.

Each guitar has its own voice that is the sum total of everything that is put in it, on it, and near it including your pick, fingers, and ear.

Not much help, is it. All I can say is, if that rosewood Lowden is eating at you, make the six hour drive. You may get an answer. Or you may not.

(and if you aren't careful, you could end up making a dozen trips back and forth, in which case, it would be cheaper to just buy both and then put one or the other up for sale after a month or so of playing )

-You could just as well be hung for a sheep as a goat.

Last edited by epaul; 12-06-2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Charter Member

Yeah. What Paul says!
Old 12-07-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epaul View Post
And if you do, you still won't know if it is because of the cutaway or the top wood or the strings or one of those little ear demons that so enjoy tormenting guitar players..
Those little ear demons are getting me out of bed early every morning!
Yes,to cut or not to cut.I definitely prefer aesthetically a full bodied acoustic,but it really is quite disheartening when you go to reach for those higher notes but cant pull it off because the body is in the way.Everyones replies here have been very very helpful indeed.THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM

Because I Capo extensively, it doesn't affect the sound of the guitar enough for me to deter me from having additional access to my fretboard....

In reality it Gives me additional sound because I am able to have an additional 2 frets of maneuverability I would not otherwise have.......

I love the look and feel of a Concert Cutaway...........

If I am comfortable and in my "power spot" as a player and singer, I will more than make up for any minimal loss of sound........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion