The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2014, 01:42 PM

Default Fazool Gave Me An Idea. Do you Play, Sing, or Both?

I was reading fazool's post and it gave me an idea. Probably not a new idea because it seems that everything in the world has been covered at some point, but I have a question for you... Are you a singer mostly or guitarist mostly? Do you right songs or stick to the ones that are already written? Just give us a brief report on you.

I sing and play about the same. But I lean toward playing while singing. That's what I'm best at. And I do write songs that I've been told were good. But not by anyone who could pay me for them!
Old 10-23-2014, 01:44 PM

Sounds like that would make a good poll. But do you mean in public or private? I would never sing in public due to my lack of singing voice but will sometimes in the privacy of my home where only my dog and cat have to put up with it.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:46 PM

Both. I'm one of those whose main instrument is my voice with guitar as accompaniment. Hence, the "cheap" guitars.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I sing and play guitar and am learning to be better at both. I write my own songs and sing other folks songs. I am trying to learn to be better at both. I do not have a lot of performing skills or experience and am just beginning to explore that world. My goal with my guitar playing is to accompany myself in a musically interesting way that supports the song and my voice.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

I write my own songs but hardly ever sing and play at the same time. When I'm just playing, as opposed to recording, I hardly ever sing. But all of my songs have lyrics and I record them that way. I just do the guitar parts and vocals in separate takes.

Some folks who hear my recordings tell me I'm pretty good because the guitar and vocals are working well together. They don't know that I'm not able to do that in a live situation until I confess. But, typically, they still just think I'm only being modest. And I let them go on believing as much if they really want to.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 10-23-2014, 01:50 PM

I should have been more specific. Sorry. Lets say while you are at home. If you perform in public say so.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:51 PM

As a kid watching Gene & Roy on the little black & white TV back in the '50s, I was already singing. I wanted to play guitar while I sang and at 6 or so started pestering my parents. Back in those days, guitars were not embraced by a lot of religious folks like they are now (instruments of the devil, y'know) and it took a few years to wear them down. But I originally picked up guitar to play it while I sang.

Over the many decades since then, I've picked up a little more (I hope), but when you pin it down, I'm mainly a singer who plays a few instruments on the side.

It IS fun to be able, these days, to put my own music together with a variety of instruments and harmony.

I multitracked this song I wrote, playing guitar, bass, mandolin and Dobro, singing all the parts.

Dandelion Brunette

P.S. Yes, I've performed in public for over 50 years now. I started singing in a Southern Baptist choir as a small child and was singing solo in church long before I was 10. I took up guitar at 12, had my first band by 14 and was making money with that band at 15.

Last edited by kydave; 10-23-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Play only. Plants die when I sing.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Well, in that post I alluded to the fact that I am strictly a player. I wish I could be a singer but I'm totally unable to sing.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-23-2014, 01:55 PM

this really would have been more informative as a poll as this question has been asked quite often in the past, but, i don't think as a poll.

i sing, play guitar, keyboards, bass and harmonica. mostly play at home and sometimes play and/or record with others at my place. now and then play out in public usually with others.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 10-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Play only. Plants die when I sing.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM

Before this forum, I hadn't really sat around and talked about music much. I've learned a lot from this forum, and one thing I've learned is that I'm a singer who happens to play a little guitar, piano, mando, french harp, banjo.

I hadn't really played with a lot of other people until I got into church and joined the church band about 4 years ago or so. It's a weird situation, because sometimes I'm called on to provide instrumental support, sometimes vocal, a lot of times both at the same time, which I probably enjoy the most. I feel most comfortable leading our Celebrate Recovery session every week with just me and my guitar.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:07 PM

Sing, Play, n Write...

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

I started playing guitar just to play, with the singing being very secondary. Along the course of the journey I've come to enjoy the singing much more than I used to, so it's now a close second.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

For better or worse, I sing and play.

Greg Rappleye

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion