The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-13-2014, 06:33 AM

Default Electronic processing carbons, different from wood?

Months ago Musicians Friend had a special on Digitechs I Stomp pedals for $40, and all the downloaded effects were free. So I loaded up my Ipad and had some fun. Most of the effects are for electric guitar but I found a good reverb and I loaded a compression pedal, on the second pedal I bought. Never used compression before but it did seem to add a positive "sparkle". Seems to me the cleanness of CF guitars make it easier to use these effects in a positive way. I was using my JM1000 for the experiment. No question to me the end result of the two pedals was very positive.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 AM

I used to play electric primarily about 20 years ago and remember being a bit overwhelmed by the amount of effects toys that were out there. I've owned a couple handfuls of pedals over the years which led me to investigate what other guitarists were doing when setting up their pedal trains.

The main idea is that the purest tone possible should be fed into any distortion or modulator effects first (chorus, flangers, compressors, reverbs)

the next grouping should consist of your delays (or reverbs), and finally to the amp or house.

This set up really makes sense- I've had them mixed before and sending a hot modulated chorus and distortion signal to a hot delay makes for some crappy sounding noise (unless of course you are going for that sound). This being said, the purest tone imaginable is what is coming from your instrument first. Carbon fiber is known for having very pure tone as opposed to the very textured tones of wood. So based on what I've learned over the years, it would make sense that a carbon fiber's pure tone would be a great starting signal in any effects chain before going to amplification. However, that is speculative since I've not really ever tested the theory.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber