The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-29-2014, 02:37 AM

Default tips for recording with Zoom H4n? (on-board mics)

The on-board Zoom mics aren't as good as hooking a mic up to the unit, but they're the best mics I currently own.

Any tips for getting good recordings of an acoustic guitar? How far from the sound hole, recording level, etc.

Just tried some sample recordings and I'm picking up lots of finger drag noise (scuff click scuff click) and not much bass, and unnatural sounding trebles.
Zoom sitting on edge of table, I'm sitting as close as possible (foot and a half from the sound hole). Recording level on Zoom set near max. Zoom hooked to Mac via USB, Mac treating it as an audio-in source, recording in Quicktime at max. quality.

Not redlining/clipping, reading about half to three quarters.

Edit: oh, and I'm just in my living room

Tips appreciated!

Chris
Old 03-29-2014, 04:51 AM

I found it works best in "stereo mode" if you lay it flat on it's back and point it at the 12th fret about 12" away. Set the input level at 80.

If you want to sing and play it needs to be at the top of your head about half an arm length away and pointed down towards the sound hole. Input between 70 and 80 depending on how strong your voice is.

You should be able to get some excellent recordings with the internal mics.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Charter Member

Do you have a camera tripod you can put it on? I'd be wary of the vibrations from whatever surface you put it on coming through.

Try a lower recording level, say 40-50%. Remember, it's digital, and you can easily normalize the recording up.

Not enough bass? Try a similar distance but pointed between the bridge and the end of the guitar. That will reduce fretting hand noise levels too, though picking hand noise might increase.

Have fun!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD