The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-07-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Apogee MiC using iPhone recording app vs. GarageBand

I recently bought an Apogee MiC to mess around with recording my acoustic, which has no pickup, and maybe some vocals. I did a couple of tests with the iPhone internal recording app, and then I did some with GarageBand. The difference was amazingly better with GB. I just used the flat setting on GB but I was surprised how much better it sounded. Is there a way to get better sound from the iPhone recorder?
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 03-18-2014, 11:17 PM

Can't vouch for it yet, but...

http://bluemic.com/icicle/

I just ordered one. Plug it into your apogee jam and plug in a mic with an XLR cable. It will power a 45v phantom. If you are using it on a tablet you need to squeeze a powered usb hub between the jam and the icicle.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
I recently bought an Apogee MiC to mess around with recording my acoustic, which has no pickup, and maybe some vocals. I did a couple of tests with the iPhone internal recording app, and then I did some with GarageBand. The difference was amazingly better with GB. I just used the flat setting on GB but I was surprised how much better it sounded. Is there a way to get better sound from the iPhone recorder?
Hi Kyle...
You mean the internal Voice memos app? Pretty basic, and no quality settings. Or perhaps you have a different app you are referring to.

Tons of other apps in the App store promising higher quality. Quick Voice does offer three settings in the tools settings (little gear at the bottom of the page). Griffins iTalk also allows three levels of quality.

Those apps are to serious recording what point-n-shoot cameras are to DSLR cameras.

Garage Band or other more fully capable apps will allow you to record at higher quality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-22-2014, 10:45 AM

I've used both extensively, and for iOS, I get much better results with Auria than with GarageBand.

More options, better plug-ins.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM

Yes, I was referring to the internal voice recorder app on my iPhone. I was surprised the quality was so much worse than GarageBand. In fact, it wasn't much better than using the voice recorder with the internal mic. GarageBand and Apogee MiC are a good combo.
Fender Stratocaster
Old 03-27-2014, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle76 View Post
Yes, I was referring to the internal voice recorder app on my iPhone. I was surprised the quality was so much worse than GarageBand. In fact, it wasn't much better than using the voice recorder with the internal mic. GarageBand and Apogee MiC are a good combo.
Hi Kyle...
That's for note taking, not studio recordings. They are much smaller files and highly compressed.

That way you could capture an entire lecture on a minimally equipped iPhone (16GB) and still not fill the memory. Couldn't record that long with a full-quality recording app unless you tell it to record at a lower resolution.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Thanks, Larry. Good to know.
Fender Stratocaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD