The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Default Journey Instruments OF660 Carbon first demo video

Hi Carbon fans,

I just did a recording for Journey instrument of our Overhead carbon fiber guitar. These will start showing-up dealers in 30 days! However, I think the first batch may be reserved soon if not already If you're not familiar, the Overhead collapses to fit in a killer backpack to fit in overhead dimensions of 14"*22"*9"

Check out our video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scaVTep7SyI

For updates like our Facebook page - we post 3-4 per week.
https://www.facebook.com/JourneyInstruments
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM

Here it is using the new embed feature Rob.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:42 PM

ahhh. thanks Ted.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Here it is using the new embed feature Rob.

These don't work on a Ipad. You end up seeing nothing.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-31-2014, 07:26 PM

Default Journey CF

OK, does anyone know - have they really started showing up at dealers? I have been hearing they were almost ready for a year or more now.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

Last edited by The Bard Rocks; 03-31-2014 at 07:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-01-2014, 09:03 PM

Hi The Bard Rocks,

We're finishing production within the next two weeks. We planned to ship out by the end of March, but an upstream supplier for a component had a delay. We'll be sure to post on the forum when they arrive in dealers.

Apologies for the frustration.

Rob

Old 04-01-2014, 09:16 PM

Hi The Bard Rocks,

We're finishing production within the next two weeks. We planned to ship out by the end of March, but an upstream supplier for a component had a delay. We'll be sure to post on the forum when they arrive in dealers.

Apologies for the frustration.

Rob

Old 04-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Cf overhead cost

I'm doing my research on travel guits. I saw the wood Journeys at Teds. Very nice. Now I see a carbon journey coming. Wow!! The premise of a carbon travel hits it right on the button. Tough, light, & airplane portable. Can't wait to see this one. Does anyone know about how much the journey cf will cost?? I presently have a CA ox that is great. I wonder if they will be somewhere around that price point??
Old 04-09-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmackay66 View Post
I'm doing my research on travel guits. I saw the wood Journeys at Teds. Very nice. Now I see a carbon journey coming. Wow!! The premise of a carbon travel hits it right on the button. Tough, light, & airplane portable. Can't wait to see this one. Does anyone know about how much the journey cf will cost?? I presently have a CA ox that is great. I wonder if they will be somewhere around that price point??
The price is right here:

http://macnichol.com/catalog/guitars...d-carbon-fiber
Old 04-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmackay66 View Post
The combo of a take down CF guitars does seem to be a natural for a travel guitar, I suggested this in 2009 but at the time I was thinking of the folding neck used by Voyage-air. I have not played the 660 but if they are anything like the wood versions than Journey will have a hard time keeping up with demand.

BTW, I have not advertised this model on our website because they are not available yet. IMO, with a new product like this it's not wise to take orders till the guitar is in hand. Frankly I'm shocked how many people have listed this model on their website using stock photos of a non functioning NAMM guitar.

The street price is $1095.

Last edited by riorider; 04-10-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
The combo of a take down CF guitars does seem to be a natural for a travel guitar, I suggested this in 2009 but at the time I was thinking of the folding neck used by Voyage-air. I have not played the 660 but if they are anything like the wood versions than Journey will have a hard time keeping up with demand.

BTW, I have not advertised this model on our website because they are not available yet. IMO, with a new product like this it's not wise to take orders till the guitar is in hand. Frankly I'm shocked how many people have listed this model on their website using stock photos of a non functioning NAMM guitar.

No need to send AGF members elsewhere ac, you can simply tell everyone that the street price is $1095.
I'm free to post a friendly reply as a I wish, but thank you for your "suggestion". I did search your site for information before I replied--but there was absolutely no mention of Journey. I even Googled your site internally using the "site:" function--and that word does not exist . . . . so I then checked MacNichols.

Just posting a number from one of 70,000 posters doesn't hold much water with me. I'm not an authority and when I want a price, I want to know and trust that information is true. Posting a link to source document--in this case a dealer--carries far more weight than a dollar figure given by an unknown forum member. That's why I posted a link. That's why I appreciate when others do too. Your business site had no such information. MacNichol's site did.

Using words like "shocked" sounds to me like you are suggesting your competitors are doing something wrong or underhanded at least.

MacNichol is clear that these are "pre-orders" and it's highly likely that this start-up company Journey will not be able to keep up with initial demand so there will certainly be a waiting list of some sort. I was not shocked at all to see the page listed a MacNichol, but I was surprised you made no mention of Journey on your site.

MacNichol is clear and open that this guitar is not available till later and that there is a wait list at this time. There's nothing hidden here, nothing "shocking", and certainly nothing underhanded, as you seem to imply.

The photos do not bother me as I have avidly read every note and forum conversation between Journey and others as most others here have read, both at AGF and at MacNichol forum. What you are seeing is essentially what the guitar will be.

I have have had several personal, off line emails with Journey regarding other details of the guitar. From my correspondence, the only likely possible change at this point might be an option for locking tuners--but which ones are not decided yet--or if that will for sure be a possibility.

IMO, MacNichol acted prudently to assist customers who are anxious and wish to be first in line for whatever reason they may have. I'm one of those possible customer because I live outside the US and when I visit again in a few months, I have a limited time frame that I can purchase or not.

As I said earlier, I did check YOUR site first. There was nothing.

Last edited by Glennwillow; 04-10-2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: rule #1
Old 04-10-2014, 08:50 AM
*mahoganut*

Rob - any thoughts of offering a non-pickup version? I personally would be interested in one without a pickup.

All the features look great - bevels, wedge, etc. I can find no specs on the guitar, though - neck length, nut, spacing, body depth / size. Would someone who knows post those dimensions?

Thanks!

Phil
Old 04-10-2014, 09:10 AM

Hi ac,

Nothing wrong with listing a product that is on order and not yet in stock, I do it all the time with my Custom Shop Martins and Taylors, but given that this is a new product from a new manufacturer I would rather wait to have the guitar in hand before accepting any money from customers. It's the prudent thing to do. I have every confidence that Journey will get this new CF model off the ground but I know Rob will not ship any till he feels they are perfect. Once they are, you will see them on my site.

BTW, I was the first dealer with an actual guitar folks could try and I currently have the best selection of their guitars in stock. When I read your post stating that "there was absolutely no mention of Journey" on our site you had me worried, but it looks like Journey Instruments is still clearly listed on the main page, in the new guitar brand listings, and comes up in our search feature. We list all Journey models that are in stock with actual pictures, here is the link:

http://www.laguitarsales.com/pages/3.../484/index.htm
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riorider View Post
Rob - any thoughts of offering a non-pickup version? I personally would be interested in one without a pickup.

All the features look great - bevels, wedge, etc. I can find no specs on the guitar, though - neck length, nut, spacing, body depth / size. Would someone who knows post those dimensions?

Thanks!

Phil
Phil, here are the specs:

http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...-travelguitar/

BTW, I agree about offering them without electronics as well as with.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:43 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Phil, here are the specs:

http://www.journeyinstruments.com/pr...-travelguitar/

BTW, I agree about offering them without electronics as well as with.
Ted - thanks! I just now 'googled' the CF Journey, found it, and came back to post the answer to my own question and there you are with the answer ahead of me!

Looks very interesting. I may have to sell my Rainsong I bought from you and replace it with one of these once production starts rolling!

Best,

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Tags
carbon fiber, carbon fiber guitar