The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-20-2011, 01:46 PM

Default New Yamaha LL6Xa or Used LL11e?

Hello everyone - this is my first post so please be gentle with me. I am in the market for a new acoustic guitar which I need to play through an acoustic amp (a Schertler David), some of the time at least. I also want something which will sound nice 'unplugged'. I was drawn to the LL11e due to the external pre-amp and the fact that Bert Jansch used to play one (and if it was good enough for the great Bert.....).

I have had a quick try of a LL6Xa and liked the sound very much, although it was a bit thin around the 9th fret onwards on the high E. Apparently, the gubbins inside are quite high spec and are transducers rather than piezos as in the LL11e. Is this better? I prefer the look of the LL11e, though the LL6Xa is also a beautiful guitar.

Does anyone want to help me make up my mind, or give some advice? I have seen an LL11e up for sale; they seem to go at roughly the same price as an LL6xa, maybe a bit cheaper. Best wishes to all!

Peter Baldry

PS If you would like to hear me playing, on Myspace there is a page for 'talesfromtheinbetween'. I am on the left channel playing a J40. We ground to a halt a few years ago but seem to be getting going again!
Old 11-20-2011, 01:59 PM

Welcome Peter! I think you'll find a kind group of folks here on AGF. I have not played either guitar, but there's a Yamaha Junkie, his own words, on the forum. Maybe he can pipe in. Again, welcome!!

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Just bumping this up in the hope I might get a response (in addition to the welcome message - thank you, by the way!).
Old 12-13-2011, 12:14 PM

Default I finally got my LL11e

Hello there - I am aware this thread has not exactly set the forum alight, however, I am pleased to report I bought an LL11e in fantastic condition for £450, which I was happy to pay. I have no idea how much they retailed for when new? It sounds great and is very comfortable to play.

It's very difficult to compare, but my perception is that is has a more balanced and consistent tone than the LL6x I tried a few weeks ago, which was itself a thoroughly nice guitar. Having had a Martin J40 for many years, I can of course hear the difference, but I am more than happy with my new axe. (The J40 was a pig to play also!) As I said before, if it was good enough for Bert................

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion