The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Default If you've been on the fence about the AKG K240S headphones...

They are now on sale at Sweetwater HERE for $79and AMS HERE for $79.99 including shipping. These are the 55ohm version that plays nicely with home and portable gear.

For those who own these cans and want new earpads, Sweetwater has 'em for $10.35ea. HERE.

Get 'em while they are hot!

Bob

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:16 PM

Great discount!

Bob, I am not a techie so pardon my question. Is it significantly different than the ATHM50 sound quality wise?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:57 PM

I love my k240's
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 04-16-2014, 06:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Great discount!

Bob, I am not a techie so pardon my question. Is it significantly different than the ATHM50 sound quality wise?
I've never worked with the ATHM50 so I have no way to compare. Sorry!

Bob

Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've never worked with the ATHM50 so I have no way to compare. Sorry!

Bob
No problem. These AKGs seem like a great bargain I just might get one just to get one.

Thanks again for posting.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Bob can you compare these with the Senn HD280's ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 06-19-2014, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I bought a pair of these in response to this post and I gotta' say, these are darn good headphones. One thing I've learned in ~7 years on this forum, when Bob Womack speaks, people should listen. I've never gone wrong following his advice.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Bob can you compare these with the Senn HD280's ?
If you're considering Senn HD280 Pros I can tell you that I have a set that have seen very light use but all of the plastic parts around the headband have fallen off. Quality-wise they are the worst phones I've ever owned. They sound OK, but I got tired of picking up the broken pieces. It must not be just me, one of our local studios had a few sets that were duck taped back together.

I much prefer my Beyerdynamic DT770's, plus the microfiber ear cup covers don't make you sweat.

(Well, they do cost more than twice as much but cheap is cheap. If I would have read this post back then I could have avoided wasting my money.)

Last edited by Rudy4; 06-19-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 06-19-2014, 03:52 PM

Amazon has them for $69.

Anyone know what the difference is between the AKG K 240 and the AKG K 240 MK II ?
The Mk II is $109 at Amazon.
Thanks,

Aaron
Old 06-20-2014, 01:00 AM

K240 MKII comes with an extra cord and set of ear pads. Much like the K271 MKII. Minor cosmetic change in trim. Otherwise identical. Some have reported a minor upgrade in earpad materiel but that's not confirmed on the AKG site, at least that I can find. And yeah, I just ordered a set from Amazon for $69. HTH

Rick
Old 06-20-2014, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Great discount!

The ATHM50 are sealed. They have a fatter low end. I trust the accuracy of the K240 more and find them more comfortable for long sessions. My ATHM50 phones have suffered failure of the plastic coating on the earpads and headband and replacement will be about $75 plus shipping. Replacement of these parts is normal maintenance, though.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 06-20-2014, 01:29 PM

I have owned AKG 240's twice over the years. The ones I had didn't have a detachable cord and the cord itself was a PITA but I bought another set after the 1'st set finally gave up the ghost. This was in the 90's
For tracking I need closed cans as can't handle the bleed. I guess with the sem-open design of these guys now one can use them for a quick reference as I don't mix with headphones.

Bummer about the ATHM50 as I was thinking of picking up a pair of them but they are more than likely hyped in the low-end like my Sony MDR-7509's that need to be replaced. Listened to my Pal's Senn. 280's and am not quite convinced whether I want those as well. So It looks like I am leaning toward the DT-770 Pro's
Old 06-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Pleasant sounding, but a little dark and having less revealing detail than what think is best for studio use.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-20-2014, 06:52 PM

Rick-SLO,

What's your preference?

Jim McCarthy
Old 06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

By the way, my own preference in headphones over all other is the AKG240. We've got three generations of them here at the studio - the original 1979 edition with silver trim, the 240ms from the '80s and '90s, and the latest with the detatchable cords. Over the thirty-five odd years we've been using them in a professional facility (probably twenty different engineers and countless artists, many who lived the philosophy, "drive it like you stole it") we've never had a failure. The 240m sounds remarkably like $6000 Urei 813 monitors that were popular when the 240 got its start - flat and smooth. They are also so comfortable that you can wear then for very long sessions without either ear fatigue or physical fatigue.

Oh, we may have replaced ear pads that got too funky from facial makeup and oils and foam insert disks that wore out, but we've never had a failure. The Sony MDR-7506s are more modern sounding and possibly more fun to listen to music on (for the first album or so before you start getting 'ice pick ear') but they are far from flat, with a generous "Hollywood Curve" in their response. I keep a set for travel because they fold up so nicely.

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD