The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 AM

Default Software Recomendations

I just bought Alienware 17" laptop with a SSD running operating system and a HDD for storage. I have been away from recording for awhile and am presently using Audacity. For a free program it works great. But I'm thinking about purchasing PRO TOOLS which have used before. I mostly record guitars, multi-track and light drums, keyboards sometimes. I know there are a lot of other options

Any recommendations on experience with other programs? Budget is around $700. Thank you .
Old 03-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Use Reaper (the poor man's version of Pro tools...) and spend the other $640 on a nice mic or an instrument.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:55 PM

2nd vote for Reaper. The saved money will get you a lot of gear, acoustic treatment for your room ...

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-28-2014, 01:59 PM

Third vote for Reaper. Spend money on mics and room treatment, not software.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Hey I write software for a living. Take is easy on saving money on the program that takes many 1000's of hours to produce. I need to eat and support my habits and selling software does that.

I use reaper for smaller projects. I also have use ProTools for the larger ones.

I too use a laptop for my system. I just retired my 17" Alienware system and replaced it with a Mobile Precision fully loaded system and it works great.

Congrats on the new system

Marty
1991 Ramirez 1A
Old 03-28-2014, 06:36 PM

i've used protools but didn't want to pay the exorbitant upgrade price as i also use reason, logic pro and ableton live.

i use logic pro the most as it has tons of content, brilliant editing features, a built in drummer, great virtual instruments and built in amps and stompboxes for both guitar and bass. it also has a built in arrangement feature that you can change around to your liking and drop in one of 16 drummers with each drummer having 16 drum patterns. it has sure made my life much easier as i am not a drummer.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-28-2014, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Another Reaper vote.

Todd
Old 03-28-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcasey329 View Post
Hey I write software for a living. Take is easy on saving money on the program that takes many 1000's of hours to produce. I need to eat and support my habits and selling software does that. ...
It appears that sales of REAPER support a very effective development team and an excellent web site. Do you really think there's merit in sending 10X the money to Avid corporate raiders, the guys who tossed the Sibelius team out on their ears because they seemed to feel that coders are interchangeable?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-29-2014, 08:38 PM

I used Pro Tools (TDM) for years before moving to Digital Performer. I really like Digital Performer and have been using it since version 4...which is just about when native systems were catching up to hosted systems (like TDM).

I have considered Reaper, but I do this for a living, so I want to be able to call a company when I have an issue and MOTU has been a round a long time. I've also used it long enough to trust it with a break-neck deadline, knowing it will push through. Heck, I recorded all the choral parts for Halo: Spartan Assault in DP on a MacBook Pro in a big church during 2 days of recording & nary a hiccup (wish I could say same for the vintage M50s we rented for the session). ;-)

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-29-2014, 10:39 PM

Reaper is not 10% of the cost. For commercial enterprises the cost is a little more than double because you can find ProTools and other major DAW everywhere. The price for a commercial product is inline with almost all other DAW's. Reaper is a good product and I use it for smaller projects.

I do believe there is merit depending on what you are doing. I get paid very well to architect software products. I have been tossed out on my ear many times and replaced by off shore teams or green card candidates who will work for next to nothing to get in the door. I use the best tools I can on the best computer I can. My clients appreciate my attention to the quality of my work and the quality of my tools.

Reaper will get the job done but so will a lot of other DAWs. Reaper is just the cheapest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
It appears that sales of REAPER support a very effective development team and an excellent web site. Do you really think there's merit in sending 10X the money to Avid corporate raiders, the guys who tossed the Sibelius team out on their ears because they seemed to feel that coders are interchangeable?

Fran
1991 Ramirez 1A
Old 03-30-2014, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Reaper is very popular and indeed one of the least expensive relatively full featured DAW (ONLY) choices by itself. That of course in not the entire practical story.

When you compare apples to apples not so much. By the time you add in an interface and or mic pre/s or combo unit, the situation becomes more competitively priced. There are for example package deals that get you into plug and play DAW systems for $200 and up. Even with Pro Tools, you can now get into the starter PT Mbox package for as little as $299 for the PT express version.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 03-30-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:35 PM

I’ve own a number of DAW’s (Reaper, Samplitude, Studio One, Cubase, Live, Reason, Trackton, ACID, Sonar X3 and a few others). I’ve been mostly using Cubase recently. What you need to do is find a DAW that is in-line with your natural workflow and tendencies. I would suggest rather than asking for recommendations based on “I mostly record guitars, multi-track and light drums, keyboards sometimes”, tell us how you create and record. For example, if you create by looping short motifs and building upon that Live is good. If you have a need to record quickly and keep momentum going Tracktion and Studio One provide a great single interface to everything you need. If you want a DAW with excellent tracking and master effects Samplitude is great. If you are going to tract a lot of live instruments at once Protools may be a good way to go.

I would agree with others, that you may get more mileage out of spending your dollars on a good mic or preamp.

Let me know, perhaps I can provide some assistance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD