The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-19-2014, 01:48 PM

Default Amature wants some tips on improving recording gear

I have a very bare bones basic recording setup. and id like to keep it simple because im no pro or semi pro, i record for my own enjoyment. but im wanting to upgrade a little bit, so im looking at different mics

This is what i have right now, a very cheap kit that came with two mics and a stand. I have a line 6 ux2, and i just use audacity. I think ill eventually get a DAW program but right now audacity seems to work fine

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedi...ombo-152351105

Im hearing alot about stereo setups, some say theyre absolutely necessary, some say theyre over-rated.

Right now im thinking ill be better off spending my money on one good mic, and maybe i could use one of my cheap mics for the other mics that i have already to try and record in stereo. But do you need matched mics to run in stereo? are they sometimes out of phase?

Im an absolute beginner recording stuff so excuse my ignorance.

This is the mic im thinking of buying right now

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FTBgMgodTXcAEw

Any tips or advice before i spend my money on stuff i dont know about?

Last edited by Teleman52; 03-19-2014 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teleman52 View Post
Im hearing alot about stereo setups, some say theyre absolutely necessary, some say theyre over-rated.
In my opinion, stereo is quite nice for solo guitar -- but not all that necessary for a full band recording.

Quote:
Right now im thinking ill be better off spending my money on one good mic, and maybe i could use one of my cheap mics for the other mics that i have already to try and record in stereo. But do you need matched mics to run in stereo? are they sometimes out of phase?
Savvier people will probably chime in but my understanding is that a matched pair is a must for X-Y recording.

Otherwise people use lots of different mic combinations -- it doesn't have to be a matched pair or even the same model at all.

Quote:
This is the mic im thinking of buying right now

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FTBgMgodTXcAEw

Any tips or advice before i spend my money on stuff i dont know about?
I use a cheaper version of that mic myself. I also have a more expensive Neumann but it's different -- not better than the AT.

I find my AT sounds powerful and warm compared to the Neumann's neutral quality. I point the AT toward the bridge and the Neumann toward the neck/body joint.

I also use an iPad with an Apogee Duet. Software is Auria (which I believe costs $25 or so).

The short answer to your question is "yes" you can try your current mic along with the AT. Move them around, experiment a bit with your headphones on.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:21 PM

Thanks joe,

That's good to hear you say the at sounds warm and powerful, that's exactly what I'm looking for. At least I think so.

I had to look up exactly what xy recording is, but that's not what I planned on doing. I was thinking the mics would do better a little further away from each other. Similar to what your talking about with picking up different parts of the guitars sound. I guess if they don't work together at least I'll have a good mic .

The only reason I wanted to do a two mic setup was because I thought it would be better for recording vocals and guitar at the same time. Which are the only two instruments I'll be recording btw

Thank you
Old 03-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Don't Forget Room Treatment

Aloha Teleman,

I used to be a mic freak & have owned & auditioned hundreds & hundreds of topline guitar & vocal condenser mic's on my home recording rig. However, after decades, it wasn't until I got really into room treatment that I was able to FULLY maximize the mic's - any mic.

Do yourself a favor, Teleman - make the commitment. Don't buy any mic until you know how you're gonna treat your recording space. Otherwise - the brand/type/cost of the mic won't matter all that much in a room full of uncontrolled early-reflections.

Room treatment, especially as you first get into recording, will make the largest qualitiative difference in the quality of your recordings, period. That & the overall recording technique knowledge which will come if you stick with recording. After that, then, the mic's & complementary signal chain are important.

Portable, DIY room treatment doesn't have to cost too much either or be permanent.

Here are couple links from Fran Guidry for some clues (SCROLL DOWN & CHECK OUT THE VIDEO'S):

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

These can help too with mid-range reflections, but not bass. Get 'em used from a moving company & hang a couple of layers 4" apart around your tracking space (hammer in 1/2" grommets to hang) & in front of windows or hard reflective spaces:

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Moving...FcuSfgod-5QAzg

Four to six of Fran's DIY broadband absorbers plus 6 movers blankets put in the right spots would go a long way towards improving your recordings & maximizing your mic's, Teleman. I made 22 portable, broadband absorber panels to treat the room AND the tracking area - extreme, but it works. I still hang blankets over my tracking area - doable, affordable for better recordings. Store 'em out of the way when not in use. You really need it, Teleman.

Good Luck!

alohachris

PS: In terms of recording or miking techniques/placement, A-B spaced pairs or X-Y configs. using a pair of matched small diaphragm condenser mic's (SDC's) - preferably in stereo for solo acoustic guitar - in a treated space is a great place to start your experimentation, Teleman. Of course there are many miking patterns that can yield great results. However, unless you treat your space, you can only do close miking because of reflections - a limitation that would grow more irksome as your knowledge increases. All the best -alohachris-

Last edited by alohachris; 03-22-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all that.

I actually plan to buy a home this summer so I want to wait until I get that to start really setting up a studio. Right now I kind of just setup in my bedroom haha. So I don't think it would be wise to start treating this room yet.

But I'll definitley refer back to all of that soon
Old 03-20-2014, 08:33 AM

I'll echo the comment about room treatment. The 2'x4' broadband panels are not expensive to make and are easy to move.
Not sure what mics you have now, but going to a highly sensitive condensor mic is going to mean more of your recording space being picked up - this is the unwanted reflections that will make it sound worse - unless you treat the room first.
If this is all for your own use, and you're not planning on doing full-out recording (to make a CD, etc), then a single mic recording will be fine, or use two mics you have, one pointing towards the 12th fret, another towards the bridge or lower bout of your guitar (experiment!), keep them both the same distance from the guitar (6-"12") and phase should not be an issue.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 AM

Definitely look into some DIY room treatment. I built a bunch of 2x4 panels myself and it was a huge improvement. For mic set ups you could also consider mid-side which is the combination of a figure eight mic with a different mic pointed directly at the source. You can also combine a close mic with a room mic. I believe Jimmy Page did this a lot. You need a good sounding room first though.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:06 AM

I use a AT 4040 for most acoustic guitar and vocal takes. I really like it very transparent and true sounding. It's helped me improve my recordings.

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-hossac...ues-new-mix-12

The vocals and guitars on this track were done with that mic. Although the guitars are a little low in the mix
Old 04-02-2014, 02:33 AM

I've not recorded myself but would like simple device on which to do so. I've been looking at a Zoom1 recorder at £79.00 ($110) a Zoom 2n £110 ($160) and a zoom 4n at £200 ($300) does anyone have any experience on these recorders. They are all in my price range and I just want a simple plug in and go device sitting in front of me so I can playback what I am doing. To see whats good or bad hopefully helping me to improve.

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015
Old 04-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardydog View Post
I've not recorded myself but would like simple device on which to do so. I've been looking at a Zoom1 recorder at £79.00 ($110) a Zoom 2n £110 ($160) and a zoom 4n at £200 ($300) does anyone have any experience on these recorders. They are all in my price range and I just want a simple plug in and go device sitting in front of me so I can playback what I am doing. To see whats good or bad hopefully helping me to improve.
You may be interested in my suggestions / mini-reviews on my "Simple Homestyle Recording" page:

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageRecording1.html
Old 04-02-2014, 09:14 AM

Thank you Rudy4 listened to your recording with the Zoom H1 sounded great just what I am aiming for will be purchasing one over the next week or so. Cheers

Avalon A12C Custom 2006
Gurian JBH 1981
Gibson J45 Banner reissue 1996
Martin D16GT 2006
Garrison AGGC 300 2008
Fender Telecaster American Special 2015

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD