The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 AM

Default Ipad recording app recommendations sought

Hi , i have an Ipad and an Apogee mic and have been using Garageband to record acoustic instruments and vocals.
I find that the recording quality rather 'harsh' and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of another app that might suit acoustic recording better?
Thanks, Mike
Old 03-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shipman View Post
Hi , i have an Ipad and an Apogee mic and have been using Garageband to record acoustic instruments and vocals.
I find that the recording quality rather 'harsh' and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of another app that might suit acoustic recording better?
Thanks, Mike
Mike,

If your having problems getting a good quality recording look for the answers in many, many places. It of course happens to all of us and is part of the journey in recording acoustic instruments. That said I'll guarantee the problem is decidedly not with Garageband. It is an endlessly capable recording medium. That's the wrong rock to look under
Old 03-26-2014, 03:11 AM

Auria.

I use it. I recommend it. It's my #1 DAW now.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
Auria.

I use it. I recommend it. It's my #1 DAW now.
Yes..one of the audio engineers here at work has and uses Auria. It's a great package and when I get my new iPad that's what I'll use. It's a good "in general" suggestion for someone looking for a DAW solution on an iPad.

You're not however suggesting to the OP that Auria will solve his harsh sounding acoustic instrument recordings are you? It of course won't provide any sonic improvement over GarageBand. Auria is not a "better sounding" DAW (albeit more capable) and buying something new (despite the very reasonable cost of Auria) is not the solution for someone trying to get their feet on the ground of home project recordings.

I dunno what solutions we might provide to the OP to cure his "harsh recording" ill's as we don't have enough info to make even an educated guess. I do know for sure however the answer is not a new DAW.

Last edited by Joseph Hanna; 03-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Hi folks, thanks for your responses.
I ts good in one respect that you say that Garageband is ok, as i need to think how ive got things set up, the acoustics of the room etc.
i ll have a look around on the www for some hints and tips.
Thanks again, mike
Old 03-27-2014, 06:22 AM

GarageBand is awesome on a full notebook computer. Their Ipad appt is very limited as to options. It's ok but the notebook option is where I go now.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 03-27-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
GarageBand is awesome on a full notebook computer. Their Ipad appt is very limited as to options. It's ok but the notebook option is where I go now.
You're of course right Doubleneck Comparatively GarageBand (in any form) is throttled against almost any other major DAW solution. The point I'm trying to make to the OP however is GarageBand is NOT the culprit here, limited or not. We're a "rush to buy great sound from Sweetwater" bunch around here. You just can't buy a great sounding recording. If ones recordings sound harsh in GarageBand they're gonna sound harsh in Logic or Pro Tools or Reaper or....

The answer always lies in some manner of time invested and blood, sweat and tears. There a forum member here who a couple of years back recorded an acoustic EP entirely in GarageBand. I can't find his link right now but hopefully he'll chime in again. It's a really wonderful sounding EP and a shinning example of "not the hardware/software but the pilot's in command" that make things sonically great.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
…The answer always lies in some manner of time invested and blood, sweat and tears.
Hi Joseph...

The resolution/capability of the recordings is usually limited by the physical interface. Apogee One for iPad & Mac advertises 24bit recordings up to 96kHz and specifies that when used with iOS devices, it was optimized for Garage Band.

The interface, preamps, mics will have a strong influence on our final recordings, and probably equally influential is the room/space we record in.

A good portion of the blood, sweat and tears needs to be devoted to locating or creating a proper space, and learning to use the outboard gear.

The software we use has to do with capture and processing of files. GarageBand is a capable capture software.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2014, 12:20 PM

I'd appreciate any info on what constitutes "a proper place"?
Many thanks, Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Joseph...

The resolution/capability of the recordings is usually limited by the physical interface. Apogee One for iPad & Mac advertises 24bit recordings up to 96kHz and specifies that when used with iOS devices, it was optimized for Garage Band.

The interface, preamps, mics will have a strong influence on our final recordings, and probably equally influential is the room/space we record in.

A good portion of the blood, sweat and tears needs to be devoted to locating or creating a proper space, and learning to use the outboard gear.

The software we use has to do with capture and processing of files. GarageBand is a capable capture software.

Hey Larry,

Yes of course to all those issues But those topics weren't on the table. The OP's original question was:

"was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of another app that might suit acoustic recording better?" ostensively to cure harsh recordings.

As I mentioned earlier it would be difficult to offer any other suggestions and or solutions to the OP since the only thing we know, at this point, of his situation is 1) his recordings are harsh and 2) he is entertaining thoughts of switching DAW's in hopes of curing that harshness.

Whatever may or may not precede the actual software (pre-amps, compressors, mic's, mic placement, proper room treatment, techniques, playing abilities are all variables and part of the learning curve ie: blood sweat and tears. That may be a topic the OP wants to visit but still, and in the end GarageBand (or any other DAW) is never the source of "harsh recordings".
Old 03-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Hey Larry,

Yes of course to all those issues But those topics weren't on the table. The OP's original question was:

"was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of another app that might suit acoustic recording better?" ostensively to cure harsh recordings.

As I mentioned earlier it would be difficult to offer any other suggestions and or solutions to the OP since the only thing we know, at this point, of his situation is 1) his recordings are harsh and 2) he is entertaining thoughts of switching DAW's in hopes of curing that harshness.

Whatever may or may not precede the actual software (pre-amps, compressors, mic's, mic placement, proper room treatment, techniques, playing abilities are all variables and part of the learning curve ie: blood sweat and tears. That may be a topic the OP wants to visit but still, and in the end GarageBand (or any other DAW) is never the source of "harsh recordings".
Hi Joseph...
I was agreeing with you...it's not the app that's going to improve quality.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Shipman View Post
I'd appreciate any info on what constitutes "a proper place"?
Many thanks, Mike
Mike, that's a huge topic. You can find lots of info on the web, and how far you take it is up to you. "proper" might mean anything from "as good as I can make the living room without my wife objecting" to "professional acoustician-designed room". Here's a few places you might start with, tho a search on terms like "room acoustics" "acoustic treatment" and so on will turn up lots of references:

info on Ethan Winer's commercial site:

http://realtraps.com/art_basics.htm

Fran Guidry's Blog

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/tag/acoustic-treatment/

An article in SOS:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr1...s/acguitar.htm

and article I wrote for Acoustic Guitar:

https://www.acousticguitar.com/News-...-for-Recording

That's the space aspect, but there's also micing techniques and a ton of other issues, all part of the learning curve Joseph and Larry are talking about.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
hi joseph...
I was agreeing with you...it's not the app that's going to improve quality.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD