The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-29-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Going to the next level in my classical/fingerstyle playing. Suggestions?

So I've finally learned the first half or so of "Romanza" and currently developing speed...(I may be going TOO fast) Lol I even wore a blister on the ring finger of my right hand from playing it too much on my classical guitar. In order to prevent it I've decided to grow the nails on my right hand slightly longer than the left, and praying my mom/grandma won't notice. Lawl. Because I've used metal Banjo fingerpicks before and they DO NOT work for me. I've had pretty good results from using very narrow strips of duck tape on my fingers before. But I bought some Alaskapik fingerpics, you know 'Over the finger and under the nail' and I'm horribly afraid they'll be to big, and I won't be able to use them. (Lol I was so afraid they'd be too big I had to buy a different type of plastic pick for my pinky) But anyways, I'm also considering an upgrade from my 50$ Valencia.... I'm in the 200 dollar range here TBH. Any certain guitars (Classical) you'd recommend? I saw a nice one at my local music store, dark-ish natural finish, (Not gloss) there was some green in the rosette, and I can't remember what brand it was, but it was lovely. Gonna have to try to play it next time I go.

So I conclude this thread with an apology for my huge wall of text. Thank you.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Default The Next Level

I'll first start by stating : grow your nails and love it if you love playing fingerstyle and/or classical. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you play this style of music. It can only help your overall tone and technique. There are videos on YouTube that go as far as showing people how to take care of your nails and how to file them to get good results when playing. So, grow them and forget about what grandma thinks or anyone else for that matter.

Second, for the price range of $200 - $300, take your pick. Brand at this price range really does not matter in my opinion. If you step up a little to the $500 range, Yamaha makes a good guitar.

Finally, play and play often! All the best.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 PM

Agreed on the nails, although my "m" finger seems prone to splitting making it difficult to grow it out for any length of time. I am dealing with it and slowly making progress. I also agree with Yamaha as making a very good product for the money. I purchased a very nice CG151S for $220 off the *bay for my daughter that sounds lovely and is quite sturdy. Cordoba also makes some inexpensive guitars in that price range and you can get some great deals off the *bay or right here sometimes, keep your eyes open, its a buyer's market now. Here's a sample of what's out there, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-CG182...item337526471d. I wish I had bought this one instead of the one I bought, but I'm satisfied. this is a great deal! Not affiliated with seller in any way.

Last edited by mattdaddy; 04-29-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:25 PM

Default Flamenco Guitar

It's a very tricky style to learn but very interesting to learn. It is somewhat of a lifestyle to these players as most who are any good grew up on it. There are lots of good videos on you tube - check out Sabicas, Carlos Montoya, Paco de Lucia, Vincente Gomez, and Juan Serrano. Also check out the Gipsy Kings music.
A great website is www.lasonanta.eu

Also Giananni and Alhambra also make nice flamenco guitars that you might be able to find in your price range maybe used if not new. I would go for a Cordoba C5, C7 or GK if you can swing it or find a good used one. I think they have better tone and detail in design then Yamaha.

I found a used Cordoba GK on ebay (you'll find them on craigslist too) here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cordoba-GK-S...ht_1379wt_1270
Old 05-07-2012, 01:28 PM

You can go REALLY fast if you just use your thumb and index finger (flamenco style.... when flamencos play Romanza... if they ever do.....:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTheAwesome View Post
So I've finally learned the first half or so of "Romanza" and currently developing speed

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 05-07-2012 at 01:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical