The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-07-2002, 10:18 AM

Default Learning the Fretboard

I am working at learning the fretboard so I can move from one picked cord to another cord up the fretboard. I have heard of a 6CD series called "Learning the Fretboard" by Russ Barenburg. Does anyone know anything about this learning series such as how it worked for them, where to get it, and the cost? I did a search and didn't get anything. I also tried Amazon and didn't see it there.

Also does anyone have any other suggestions of methods or materials to help me with this.

Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Midnight Shadow
Old 09-07-2002, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Check this out, MS.

http://guitarcollege.com

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 09-07-2002, 11:59 AM

The six-CD set is available from www.homespuntapes.com for $59.95; their catalog is also available from that site, and their toll-free number for ordering is 1-800-338-2737.

Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, so don't know how well it works.

Here's the blurb from the catalog: "Find and play any note in any position on the neck, build chords, fine-tune your harmonic ear and improvise melodies! Now in the CD format, this six-hour course provides a road map for fully understanding the entire guitar fingerboard. Russ shows you how to play scales in a variety of fingerings and positions, then isolates the intervals, so you always know where to find important chord degrees. Highly recommended for all serious guitar students, regardless of the style of music you prefer to play."
Old 09-07-2002, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Larry, for that link. I've been looking for the Doc Watson instructional stuff. Once I get caught up at work, I'm getting it.

stuff

The future's uncertain and the end is always near.
Jim Morrison
Old 09-07-2002, 04:31 PM

You're welcome, Hondo.

Ya know, since you're 70 mi N of Houston and I'm 25 mi S of Houston, we could get together sometime.

TAMU is one of the institutions of higher learning that my grand-daughter is considering (she's a senior in HS).
Old 09-07-2002, 06:53 PM

Thanks for the information. I will contact Homespun and check it out. From what I have heard they have been helpful.

Thanks again for the help.

The Guitar College looks interesting also.

Again thanks for the help.

Midnight Shadow.
Old 09-09-2002, 07:38 AM

Please let us know how this series is.

Thanks.

SCGC OO Brazilian
Collings D2HB
955 Custom
814B - LOTF
Old 09-09-2002, 09:17 AM

Also check out "Fretboard Logic". The author's name escapes me at the moment (Edwards?), but amazon.com has it.

I have it, and I've read through it, but I haven't really worked with it yet. The basics (CAGED patterns) are very simple, but it gets tougher as you move into Volume 2.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 09-09-2002, 09:51 AM

I bought "Fretboardlogic I & II" and found it to be excellent. The author's explanation makes more sense and is easier to understand than anything (books,CD,etc) else I've seen.
It doesn't just drop in your lap, you have to work at it and study it, sometimes over and over until it sinks in but it does make "logical" sense.

Gary
BB
Yamaka G-65
+ Assorted junky guitars.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:59 PM

Gary1, I would love some kind of explanation of "Fretboard Logic". I have read it a couple of times, always understand some of it in pieces, but it never all comes together. I've even bought the VHS tape to go with it and that only helps a little bit more. Any concepts or thoughts that would help simplify the complexity would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2002, 07:10 PM

I'll try and explain some of the "logic" and hope I don't confuse you. Someone like Mapletrees could give you a better explanation.
Fretboard Logic is based on the "caged" system, cord/scale forms and positions on the neck.
What is meant by "caged" is, for example, a "c" cord form (played in open position), moving up the neck to a barred "a" form,, followed by a barred "g" form, followed by a barred "E" form and then barred "D" is basically a "c" chord musically played up the neck in different positions using different chord forms.
You need speparate the term cord "form" from "musical" chord name, their different.
You can start with the " G" then go to a "E" , then"D", then "C" and so, no matter what cord "form" you start with on any position on the neck it's always CAGED. or AGEDC, or GEDCA, and so on. If you strart with "g" form at the 7th position you can go down to "A" form or up to "E" form and it will be the same chord musically. The musical chord your playing is what ever you end up with or started with at the open position.
Cord structure and naming become alot easier, making triads, sevenths and major, minor, dimished, augmented much easier to build.
The same applies to scales, but I won't go into details.
It does take some study to "sink" in but once it does it's like a lighbulb going on over your head

Hope this helps,
Gary
BB
Yamaha G-65
+Assorted junky guitars
Old 09-11-2002, 07:11 AM

Default My $0.02

Quote:
Originally posted by jacoben
Gary1, I would love some kind of explanation of "Fretboard Logic". I have read it a couple of times, always understand some of it in pieces, but it never all comes together. I've even bought the VHS tape to go with it and that only helps a little bit more. Any concepts or thoughts that would help simplify the complexity would be appreciated.
This is definitely not a book to be read. By that I mean, it's ok to read it through once or twice, but to really learn it, you have to have it on your music stand with guitar and hand, and work through it as if it were a piece of music you are learning. (Terrible sentence, but I think it's understandable). Literally work/play through every diagram slowly with your guitar & metronome. It'll come to you. Just treat the book as a series of lessons & exercises.

My only complaint is that the book should be spiral bound. I use a series of clothespins to keep it in place.

I would imagine that the same would apply to the other books & CDs mentioned in this post.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 09-11-2002, 09:39 AM

In suppport of what Guitar Dad posted I would add that you need to make sure that you understand and can play each section in the book "rocksolid" , from memory, before moving onto the next. It's like building blocks. The next block will fall if you haven't got the first in place.
The author even states at certain points in the book to go back and start all over again and review the material just to make sure you understand it. There is even a final test at the end of sections I & II to prove to yourself whether or not you know the material. If something isn't perfectly clear go back over the section again and again until it "Clicks."
You'll do fine!

Gary
314 (give me those Mississippi blues)
BB
Yamaha G-65
+ Assorted junky guitars
Old 09-11-2002, 10:17 AM

Has anyone tried Triad Power by Mark Hanson? I think his other materials are very good and I have been wondering about this one.

http://www.accentonmusic.com/book_detail.asp?qID=96
Old 09-11-2002, 11:43 AM

Lightbulb

That Mark Hanson book looks like it will be a winner...

you throw the guitar in a tuning and the triads are where they are...period...it ain't complicated....scales surround them...larger chords surround them...must know stuff...

I *started* to make the case for viewing the fretboard as connected triads...got bogged down of course somewhere in chapter 7...but anyways...

if you need to 'learn the fretboard', that looks like another no-brainer from Mark Hanson...
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell