The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-15-2002, 12:11 PM

Default Hit a wall...

This is a shameless request for some encouragement. I've only been playing seriously since last November but I felt pretty good about my progress. I was taking lessons but quit them after 9 months. The teaching style was a little stagnant for me. That coupled with soccer season for my two girls made it impossible to have any kind of set time for lessons. Anyway my desire to play is still as strong as ever but my practice routine has become quite stale. I run through some basic scales and arpeggios and then work on the few basic songs. Not that I'm an expert at any of this but I need something else to add a little flavor. A new song or a different drill of some sort. Plus a few words to get me off my arse. Anything. I used to have an audience of two but my 5 year old is tired of my "repetoire." My yellow lab is my only fan at the moment.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-15-2002, 12:23 PM
Me

Chris,
I can relate. Ever try playing in front of a mirror? Just kidding.
I sparked my interest big time with the Tommy Emmanuel book/CD. I got it from Amazon.com. I hope that inspires you!
last night after practicing my wife was humming the song I was working on. Sure she was in the other room, but she was listening!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:30 PM

Smile It happens to all of us

Lots of plateaus, followed by lots of vertical growth. We all get stuck on something: a style of music, a lick, whatever. I was stuck on a "simple" chord transtion for weeks until I nailed it this morning before work...I'll probably screw it up when I get home tonight!

There are others here who can offer better advice than I can. For me, it helps to have a plan. What are you trying to achieve? What kinds of music? What kinds of songs? What specific songs? Once you break it down into manageable chunks, then you can drill down and focus on particlar songs, measures, etc. Try to organize your practice as much as possible, even if the timing is sporadic. That way, your practice becomes efficient (I have kids to, so I know the feeling). Right now, I'm very focused on learning "See See Rider". The lick in question is in the first few measures....that's how focused I am right now.

Buy & use this book: http://www.guitarprinciples.com

And if your dog is not howling, then you're playing well!!

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 08-15-2002, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Chris- EVERYONE knows what youre going through...

One way ive found to encourage myself is to record myself playing a few songs that i know kinda OK, but not great...then I listen to that recording a month later and play them again, and you can actually hear the improvement in yourself...rather than hearing the same song over and over every day gradually improving...the seperation in self analysis really opens eyes some.

I found myself thinking the other day that I wasnt much better than I was last year, then I pulled out a recording from the beginning of 2001 and MAN did I SUCK!! It makes me feel good to see how far Ive come

Keep pickin!

(Insert one line representation of cleverness here)
Old 08-15-2002, 01:26 PM
AGF Bouncer

Believe it or not, I derive inspiration from some odd things: like changing the strings on my guitars and cleaning the fretboard and body reeeaaall nice. After I do that, I can't stop playing for 3 or 4 hours.

Then again, it's kinda hard to ge tme to stop playing anyway.

For me, I have a simple goal when I play. I try to do something a little different every day. If it's just fretting a chord, or a slide or a bend or maybe a different tuning or way I approach scales, I try (sometimes I don't succeed, but mostly I do) every day.

If you can do one tiny new thing daily, you'll improve drasticly. It's inevitable.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Old 08-15-2002, 01:27 PM

Chris,
I know what ya mean, hitting the wall is frustrating. I like to choose a new song to work on most times. Most recently the Top Twenty Videos on VH1 has given up a few songs for me to work on. I'll catch the program on the tube, watch and listen and see if any songs catch my interest and go from there. In the past few months several songs caught my ear and gave me something to work on. And the beauty of it is, you can record the video/song on the VCR and have the music to practice with versus buying a whole CD for one song. Of course VH1 T T V does have annoying commentary during the videos but there are other Video channels out there to choose from. Anyway I find it to be a convenient way to practice something different and learn some of the pop music out there. If only I could sing. ha ha

If time is an issue and you cannot dedicate time to practice, at least pick it up when you can even if only to do a scale or a chord progression to keep fingers limber. One minute a day is better than none. Once upon a time, I would go for weeks and not pick the guitar up AT ALL. Was that ever a mistake. Also that minute a day can be a great relaxer or mood lifter. Kinda like taking a few deep breaths and letting it all go for a moment.

Would love to hear what others do to get over the wall to keep things fresh.

NHS
Old 08-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Cocobologist

Pick up the book, "The Zen of Guitar" (I can't remember the author, but it's available on Amazon). It's a great little read that touches on topics that relate to exactly what you're going through. No exercises or chord charts, just a simple book of wisdom and encouragement for guitarists. Many of its lessons apply to everyday living too!

Enjoy!

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-15-2002, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gutch
Pick up the book, "The Zen of Guitar" (I can't remember the author, but it's available on Amazon). It's a great little read that touches on topics that relate to exactly what you're going through. No exercises or chord charts, just a simple book of wisdom and encouragement for guitarists. Many of its lessons apply to everyday living too!

Enjoy!
I have that book as well. It can be useful, especially if you just read just a few pages at a time.

If you want to succeed, you should strike out on new paths rather than travel the worn paths of accepted business. John D. Rockefeller

Uncork New York!
Old 08-15-2002, 03:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I refuse to give up but I don't feel like I'm progressing. I will persue all of your suggestions. (I'll even play in front of the mirror)

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-15-2002, 06:24 PM

Just don't go backwards with not playing at all. Been there done that.....

Well.... I go backwards if don't play.

Good luck with your practice and I hope you get out of the slump. A few heartfelt "G" runs makes me get out of it. Maybe I should try it in front of the mirror.

NHS
Old 08-15-2002, 06:51 PM
meridian

Chris,

It is NOT a wall! It IS a plateau (as said above)!

George Leonard wrote a book called "Mastery" some years ago in which he describes this growth phenomenon in some detail.

Don't give up! It is the ONLY way that you will fail! If you just keep at it, even in those seemingly endless platueaus, you WILL suddenly experience a breakthrough to the next level in your playing!

It's like a fact of nature or something!

You can depend on it!
Old 08-17-2002, 03:14 PM

Chris:
I don't know whether this would work for you, but I think I'm the happiest when I'm learning a new song. I'll play along with the CD, so it feels like I'm accompanying the band. Sometimes I'll use headphones, with one ear free, and adjust the volume so my guitar has the right volume to balance the recording in my other ear. This enhances the effect of being "part of the recording".
-Roy
'01 Fender Strat Deluxe
'90 Alvarez 5040
'76 Yamaha FG300
How hard can music be? There's only 12 notes.
Old 08-17-2002, 09:24 PM

Default Practice

I agree with everyone. It's a plateau and not a wall. I try to pick a new song to learn every couple of months or resurrect a song I haven't done in a long time. I also have several cd's and DVD's I love playing along with. At least once a week I devote one evening to practice scales and arpeggio's.

Once a month I perform at a local coffee house. The week before is dedicated to preparation including practice with my PA.

Keep Playing!

Folkman
Old 08-18-2002, 10:39 AM

Been there, done that. What you need is some inspiration and guidance in learning new stuff to keep you out of the rutt. I suggest . . .

1) Start playing with other people whenever possible. Almost everyone knows something you don't (and vice versa). You'll pick up new techniques, chord progressions, all kinds of stuff.

2) Finds some good guitar tabs. I suggest www.olga.net. You'll find thousands of songs to learn. Challenge yourself to learn something that's a little beyond your ability. It's great for picking up new ideas and avoiding the boredom.
Old 08-20-2002, 11:50 PM

You've already gotten some good replies. Stewart's idea of playing with someone else is great. It's especially good if they're just a bit ahead of you, technique-wise. You won't get bored by a rank beginner's struggles, or bown away by the skill of an advanced player. Either of these would be OK if they inspire you to keep at it.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned finding a new teacher. Or even talking with your former teacher and asking for a new approach in both lessons and practice.

I really think you'll make the most progress by working with a fine teacher, one who knows how to teach and inspire and well as how to play. Commit to regular practice, but don't get discouraged if you can't follow though 100% of the time. Ten minutes every other day or so is better than quitting.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

cotten

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell