The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-13-2002, 03:21 PM

Default Who here has written songs you're proud of

I have written a total of 5 songs, I'll admitt to. All are of a Christian Nature. Who here has written songs that they will own up to?
Blessings, Dan B.
Old 06-13-2002, 03:33 PM

I will admit I have written several songs. Unfortunately, I haven't written one YET that I am proud of. I do know a good song when I hear it (or at least one I like). At any rate, that doesn't stop me from trying. I just keep writing and one day........
Old 06-13-2002, 03:36 PM

Default Writing Songs

Most of the good ones I have written have come so quickly, I have to consider that they were a gift from above and I was only a tool in a bigger plan. I know I'm really not that creative.
Blessings, Dan B.
Old 06-13-2002, 04:01 PM

I've written several songs I am quite proud of, and LOTS more that are AWFUL. The part that is hard is separating the wheat from the chaff.

David
Old 06-13-2002, 08:01 PM

Actually, I'm proud of most of the stuff I've written . . . I've got about 35 good songs with lyrics, and about a dozen instrumentals. These days, if I'm not impressed with a song WHILE I'm writing it, I don't bother finishing it!

BTW, I wrote these songs over a period of about 10 years (with some long, dry spells), and after 3 or 4 years of writing CRAP first. I think you've got to start with stuff that's pretty lame, and develop your skills and style over time. Maybe some people start off writing good stuff right away, but it sure didn't happen like that for me!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-14-2002, 05:10 PM

One. A bottle of red wine and a good looking woman certainly helped the process
Old 06-14-2002, 09:10 PM

I compose songs incessantly. I have several I am proud of. Each was inspired by the mood of the moment, and they change with the mood when replayed.
Old 06-15-2002, 06:07 PM

I've never been able to write a $#%%& song. It's so ##%$ frustrating! I am the most inept, uncreative, blockhead........ wait a minute... A, F#M, D, E. inept, uncreative, blockhead.....hmm. Be right back.
Old 06-15-2002, 07:15 PM

Orphan--

HAHAHAHAHA!

That's EXACTLY how I write all my songs!

2005 Hamblin SJ (cedar/flamed mahogany)

www.jimtozier.com
Old 06-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Charter Member

I have written many many songs. Some of the songs were born of the situation at that moment of my life and they are like a scrapbook full of memories. Some can still make me cry when I play them,,,,,,,,,the power of a great lyric and melody............
Old 06-18-2002, 11:10 AM

After 24 years of playing but only about 14 years of writing, I have 2 huge notebooks of lyrics only, one paper sack full cassettes with music only, and about 30 completed songs.

Of those 30, about 20 of them are pretty much disposable.

Of the other ten, I have chosen seven to record on the new CD project I am currently working on. (the Fire is one of them, although it will be a bit different from the way it appears on the forum CD)

Those 7 songs all have their good points, but of the seven I really am only completely satisfied with 2.

Of the 2, I have a favorite, and I am afraid it just might scare some listeners! (I really feel it is my best tune, but some may take it as "gloom and doom", when it really was a song of gratitude and hope. Oh well. It is going to be haunting, with a really nice violin solo... it will be the best tune and I guess I need to give up that idea of having to please everyone else, huh?

I have those seven, plus 4 more tunes picked out that were composed by 4 of my friends. I really believe in these tunes, I am really excited about the project. I think it is going to be well rounded. There are some upbeat songs with sax, a novelty tune, an old forties sounding love song with horn section, one with a funky guitar and bass, several nice ballads, all featuring acoustic guitar prominently. It is different for me to be doing this, I have loved doing covers. I always thought original songs arent necessarily always any good. I never thought mine were, but I am thinking these 11 are, and hoping people like it. Think it will be 6 months, though, untill I get it all done. I'll be sure to tell my friend on the forum how it turns out!
Old 06-18-2002, 11:13 AM

friendS (plural) - I meant -
Old 06-18-2002, 11:49 AM

I'm presently waiting for my old friend Cecilia to come back and visit.

Been back into guitars and such for almost a year now, and in terms of technique and taste, I'm already past where I was years ago, and my 415 makes it all sound so much better than I deserve. Not only that, my neighbor comes over and plays most Saturday nights, and we really are getting to the point where we're pretty good at what we do; folks just make sure the living room lights are on, and come and go as they please.

But nothing really big yet in terms of WRITING. I've never pushed it, and I'm not going to now, but let's just say it'll be a big relief whenever I finally get back into gear on that end of things.

In the meantime, I've got more than enough Beatles, Western music (as compared to country &), kids' music and various eclectica to keep me busy. Been listening to the Smithsonian Country Music collection and really getting into it.

As Woody Allen says, half of success is in just showing up, and I figure sooner or later I'm due another creative run.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:03 PM

I really dislike writing lyrics. It's just not my personality. I have four or five songs with lyrics that I've written. To me they're okay, but nothing to get excited about. Of course I have a tough time getting excited about any song with lyrics. Maybe if my voice was better I'd be more enthused about lyrics.

I have some instrumental pieces I'm pleased with, and three or four that I still like even after playing them umpteen hundreds of times while recording.

I throw away a lot more than I keep. I usually end up coming up with little bits and pieces. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes when I'm just noodling around. I almost never record my new ideas. I figure if the original concept is good it will stick with me. If I can't remember it the next day it wasn't good enough to stick in my mind and probably wasn't worth pursuing.

David
Old 06-25-2002, 08:58 PM

The few songs that I've written are much along the same line as Dan. I really don't think I was anything more than the pen in His hand. They all make me cry.

Mortimer

Making sense out of senselessness

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell