The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2014, 09:17 PM

Default Roland AC60/M. AS50D/Fishman Mini 60w vs - Roland 40GX..

Dear All,

I m writing from Vietnam. Roland and Marshall are available here officially.
First I bought a Marshall AS 50D. It was beautiful but too cumbersome to carry it on a scooter.
I play a hollow body guitar and a Strat. Both are good quality counterfeit products.

Marshall AS 50D: the Strat sounds as it should, the specific 4th switch position is excellent. Warm, thick sound. The hollow body had an insignificant tone on that. I think the Middle knob should be mounted on that amp.
I did not find it loud enough to cut a small band with a cojan. I also did not like its leader handle on its top: you cannot bend it down.
Amp went back.

Roland AC60 - the Strat sounds boring, no bass, 4th switch position hardly can be recognized. Disappointing. With the hollow body: yes, it sounds nice! Until you hear a noname PA system and you realize that this Roland is lacking of bass (ok it has a subwoofer jack, but who wants to carry it?). The reverb and chorus are only so-so. Reverb starts working after dialing at least at 5.
I dont care its mounting hole: there are chairs everywhere and if u mount it too high u cant see the knobs - annoying.
But its biggest problem: it is weak for a band with a cojan. I almost at 10 with both volume knobs - the sound becomes worse at this loudness and moreover the dynamics disappears: the amp doesnt follow well your picking - or at least this is my feeling in band situation.

My experience: it is ONLY a 30 watt amp, it can be 2x30 Watt but it is ONLY 30 watt, not 60 watt (Roland does not say 60 Watt though). Forgettable if you play in a music band. Or you can mount it on your ears as a headphone.
My question: 2x30 Watt is "how many" watt in deed?
The amp has a bag but it is still heavy and because of its stupid shape (too deep - 27cm) you just cant put it to ur legs on a scooter.
No, the Roland AC60 does not worth its 500 USD (price in VN).

I read more comments on the Fishman Mini 60watt. It has only one 6,5'' driver but it is 60 watt. Am I wrong if I think it is louder than the AC60?
Some people mention its 'boxy' sound but I tend to believe it is better than the AC60. It is cheaper, lighter and has a handier shape.

Roland 40GX - It has a clean channel and the 1x10'' driver pushes 40 Watt. Is it louder than Roland AC60? Does anybody have any clue about it?

Last edited by Ymel; 12-28-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymel View Post
I play a hollow body guitar and a Strat.
Are you sure you want to go for an acoustic guitar amp? I can't help thinking an amp dedicated to the type of guitars you have would not only sound better but would be much smaller and louder at the same time.

As an example, the fender super champ ... this is much smaller than what you mentioned, and with a strat or hollow body can go much louder ... even on clean channels.

Just a thought.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:59 AM

Dear Jan,
Tks for ur answer. Honestly i needed 2 channels, i play jazz standards with a singer. But in d other band i play blues/rock. I wanted 2 find something in d middle. Now i tend to turn d Roland gx40 but it has no line out, so i must take d gx 80.
Someone says if i hook a boost or what pedal in front of d AC60 it will help me. Hm, i donnow
Old 12-29-2014, 11:20 AM

I think finding a small amp that will do a good job of voice and electric is going to be hard.

If you can find a fishman mini then you should try it. I'm sure it's loud enough ... you need to see for yourself if it sounds better than a Roland. Sound is personal.

One of our band members has the bigger Roland you mention. We used it once in a small street fest (guitar, violin, cajon) and it was plenty loud for that ... but ymmv.

I wouldn't want to balance one on a scooter though ... but then, it's not allowed here!
Old 12-29-2014, 11:39 AM

Yes, roland 80gx is around d limit i still can carry at my leg on a honda lead scooter. Now i checked some tube amp of Marshall as u suggested, but d 15w is still around 'cutting through or not' border, the 40 watt tube too big already. Oh, and Marshall 15watt even it is ok, bit it sounds too rocky. Yes, Fishman mini must be ok, i read many good comments.
Anyway temporary i can hook a mic on d 80gx's aux in ,even i cant controll it.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:11 PM

*lol* you must have a very loud cajon player ;-)

I had a Marshall Class 5 (only 5 Watt tube amp) for a while ... if I were riffing away on that you wouldn't be able to hear a cajon ... and they do some real smooth jazzy tones too.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:24 AM

Jan,

actually I have a noname Chinese 30 Watt amp (on the speaker it s written: 25 Watt, hehe), lowcost stuff, even its "Line out "hole is fake because when I connect a cable the speaker goes silent. So even this small amp is enough next to the cajon but the sound quality... hm eehm. It is rather rattling than sounding. And very boxy. I think it was about 60 USD in Hanoi.

So the Roland AC60 seems to be yet enough with the cajon but both volumes are at almost max. And I feel the sound changes at this level (becomes very digital and does not follow well my picking dynamics).
I hope I can change it to the Fishman Mini. At home specially in an empty big room the Roland sounds ok (still no enough low/bass), but the volume is at 3 only. I have an old Korg AX30, I can boost the volume with it, I tried.

Question: what do you think is louder: Roland AC60 2x30 stereo or Roland 40GX?
I think the 40GX can be louder a bit. And it has a 10'' speaker.

The Marshall 5 watt is nice but its clean channel is not enough for gigging and I dont need so much distortion. The 15 watt Marshall (made in Vietnam, so funny) is bigger and heavier than Roland GX40, even 80GX!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification