The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 09-20-2002, 11:48 AM

Default Right Hand Position-Fingerstyle

After deciding to get serious about my fingerstyle guitar playing I've been practicing alot more and my wife, the hand therapist, has pointed out that I'm playing with my right hand (picking) bent at a 45 deg.angle at the wrist toward the outside (pinky side) of my hand and down towards the soundboard. No pinky anchor. She says this can cause problems (RSS) Tendonitis, Carp Tunnel.
The more experienced/better players I've talked to all seem to do something similar. Some have had problems.
But I thought I throw this topic out to the very knowlegable and experienced folks here for their experiences.

Thanks for any input,

Gary
BB
Yamaha-65(classical)
+ assorted junky guitars
Old 09-20-2002, 01:01 PM

I play fingerstyle and I'm prone to deQuervain's syndrome, a repetitive stress injury to the tendons that run down into the thumb.

I've resolved the problem by playing in the classical position, with the guitar resting on my left knee, my left foot resting on a footstand (or rung of a chair), and the headstock elevated upward. This way, my wrist is perpendicular to the strings and I don't need to angle it to pluck them.

Good luck.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:52 PM

It is entirely possible to use the classical right hand position without placing the guitar on your left knee and tilting the instrument - I know because that's how I play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell