The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-22-2002, 10:08 AM

Angry

don't think I'm ever going to learn...just lost another post..

tenthumbs.....

you mention 'running through scales' or something like that as practice..

scales and arpeggios, etc....those are just organizational tools...they're not music....

you want to work on applying the basic concepts of music...melody, harmony, and rhythm......you cannot help but become musical if you do....

going to give you a MUSICAL way of approaching soloing over a two chord progression.....see if you can't turn it into a generalized method....

we'll start with something 'too complicated' (in a way), but we'll be successful with it, and then (hopefully) lead you to conclude you should move to simpler chords....

con't...

actually, con't tonight....someone is up.
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-22-2002, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mapletrees
don't think I'm ever going to learn...just lost another post..

tenthumbs.....

you mention 'running through scales' or something like that as practice..

scales and arpeggios, etc....those are just organizational tools...they're not music....

you want to work on applying the basic concepts of music...melody, harmony, and rhythm......you cannot help but become musical if you do....

going to give you a MUSICAL way of approaching soloing over a two chord progression.....see if you can't turn it into a generalized method....

we'll start with something 'too complicated' (in a way), but we'll be successful with it, and then (hopefully) lead you to conclude you should move to simpler chords....

con't...

actually, con't tonight....someone is up.
standing by...
Old 08-23-2002, 08:46 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by tenthumbs

standing by...

One could get sore feet.
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 08-23-2002, 09:08 PM

testing....

is this a go?
Old 08-23-2002, 09:17 PM

Smile

these are notes....ignore this...

dots, tab, etc....

success, failure, 98.6...98.6? yeah that'll work...98.6....not accepting failure....Beavis, the good stuff!

playing what you 'feel' in reality translates for most people into palying merely what they are currently capable of playing...

T & R...drill only after....which.....

don't let your physical get past your musical.....

Walter Cronkite works here too...

new thread.....

ignore this...

T & R....different forms....

ignore this...

Soloing thread...could be any aspect of playing...

do what you're doing if it works...but....if not....
Old 08-26-2002, 06:20 AM

Since I play mainly fingerstyle stuff, I wanted to focus on playing chords better. The basic chords were getting boring. So I picked up the book "Jazz Guitar Chord Bible Complete" by Warren Nunes, printed by Warner Bros.
It looked horribly boring at first. Just chord progressions. But when I applied myself, I found it most interesting. The chords are alternate to the standard ones you learn when you first start. The sound is refreshing and I find I like some of the alternates better. The examples are grouped by what kind of chord, i.e., Major 7, Major 9b5, Dominant 13+9, etc. For instance, in the M7 example, it starts with a simple four chord progression of CM7, C6, Dm7, G7. But it shows you five ways to play it, grouped together by ease of fingering. Although just another basic tool and not "music", it has helped decrease the stagnation and increase my interest in practicing.
Old 08-26-2002, 10:01 AM

Thanks trombone! I'll check it out.

Cheers

Chris
Old 08-26-2002, 03:12 PM

Try an open tuning for a while. Something like D-A-G-D-A-D (1st-6th). It can spark your creativity.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:23 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Find some good instructional material/guitar videos to work on. If you play fingerstyle I strongly suggest Mark Hansons series, I believe called "Travis Style Picking" and the follow up "The Art of Solo FIngerstyle Guitar". Escellent basic finger pattern practices working on finger/thumb independance couipled with beautifull songs following each section. These books literally woke me up and caried me to the next level. From there, find what kind of music you like to play and get some good videos. Altered tunings (DADGAD, DropD, CGDGAD, etc.etc.etc) can really bring the joy back into your music. For flat picking I don't have any specific recommendations, but I am sure there is some excellent material out there.
Old 09-02-2002, 07:51 PM

Wink practice

I've played for 25 years. I have started and stoped and waisted time many times over those years and I can give you a tip. Forget about who is listening, forgit about the songs you play, just enjoy how beautiful your insterment is. Listen to the sound of each note as you play it and try to appreicate the beautiful sound of each. Play for yourself and others will listen.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell