The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-29-2002, 07:29 PM

Default Drop D, G Chord

How do you all play a G chord when you have the top E string tuned to D? I've been playing it 1st string/3rd fret and 6th string/5th fret, omitting 5th string/2nd fret(B) because it's practically impossible. Or sometimes I'll play it like a regular G. Neither sounds good. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:57 PM

Do you mean the low E string tuned to D? If so, try these variations on a non-barred F chord. In both cases, you would fret both the high E and B strings with your index finger.

These both work for me, and the first one has a nice open sound that omits the B (middle of the triad). You could also leave the second string open with the first one, but I don't think it sounds as good.

For a different sound on the A chord, try moving the second one up two frets. It's actually an Asus, but it works nicely if you don't have to linger there too long.
Old 07-29-2002, 10:30 PM

Thanks Chris, I'll try those.
Old 08-03-2002, 06:52 AM

Another option, which I like because I'm mostly a fingerstylist, is an adaptation of the "thumb on E-string" F chord. With drop D, you need to move the thumb up two frets, so it looks like this:

5x5433

That leaves your pinky free to fool around on the B and high-E strings, if you're so inclined. With a typical alternating bass, the A string isn't being played (hence the "x' - you don't need to actually mute it, just don't play it. I guess if you're strumming you'd want to mute it. Obviously, it's also a moveable form.

This is one of those fingerings that just feels impossible when you first try it, but I have only average size hands so I think everyone can do it eventually.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell