The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha LS6, LS16, LS26

Years ago, when I first started playing guitar, I had a Yamaha. Not even sure what kind as it was years in the past and I am far more forgetful now than I care to admit. I gave whatever kind of Yamaha it was to a friend and he now enjoys it.

Fast forward 20 years and I can still fondly remember how that old guitar played. I was terrible, but I remember loving the neck and how comfortable that guitar was for me.

So now, I am curious about some of the newer Yamaha models - particularly the LS6, LS16 and LS26. Does anyone know how these models compare and their overall impression of each one?

This is really just curiosity on my part. I have a couple of guitars now that I very much enjoy, so I am not really looking to add, but I am looking to satisfy my curiosity.

Any feedback would be appreciated!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:09 PM

I own an LS6. Om size, 1/34 neck, engleman top, rosewood laminate back/sides. Real nice tone, more comfortable to play than a dread (imho). Very well built and beautifully finished. If I were to compare it to a D-28, the tone is not better or worse, just different. The volume is there because of the deep body size. Real nice to accompany when singing while standing. This guitar seems to like DADGAD tuning too, real deep resonance. They are hard to find to try, not too many places seem to stock these, the L16's and 26's even harder to find. Some other members have one and seem to like it too. I have an FG730s that when strung with John Pearse 600 lights really sounds great, half the price too.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:14 PM

I have been wondering the same thing myself, but for the LL6, LL16 and LL26.

From what I hear and read they are very well built and finished instruments. Ahead of the FG line which is a pretty decent line for the cost.

I've also also heard the the playability is very good and that while they do sound bright and crisp, they have a better base response then a Taylor. I've also heard from a store that is selling them that the tops have been been given a "tone-rite" treatment from the factory, or something close to that anyway.

All in all, a very good guitar at their respective price points and very playable out of the box. Again though, this is information pasted together from different sources on the internet.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I have an LS6 and FG700S. I love both.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:52 AM

LS6 -
  • Small Body Type
  • Solid Engelman Spruce Top
  • Rosewood Back & Sides
  • Mahogany and Rosewood 3ply Neck
LS16 -
  • Small Body Type
  • Solid Rosewood Back & Sides
LS26 -
  • Small Body and Vintage Look
  • Solid Engelman Spruce Top Treated with A.R.E.
  • Mahogany and Padauk 5ply Neck
LS26 is truly the best fingerstyle guitar you will experience
Old 01-31-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♏artin View Post
I have been wondering the same thing myself, but for the LL6, LL16 and LL26.
I had a LL6 and it was a very nice box. Well built and finished. The rosewood sides and bottom were declared as laminated, but the vein on the bottom were the same inside and outside, so I always wondered.
The sound was very full and warm.
I sold her because I had an aching shoulder and playing a dread was not good for it, but I still miss her sometimes...

I love the smell of spruce in the morning

Gibson Advanced Jumbo
Martin OM-21 Special
Gibson Keb'Mo'
Old 01-31-2012, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitpl4evr View Post
LS6 -
  • Small Body Type
  • Rosewood Back & Sides
LS16 -
  • Small Body Type
LS26 -
  • Small Body and Vintage Look
  • Solid Engelman Spruce Top Treated with A.R.E.
  • Mahogany and Padauk 5ply Neck
LS26 is truly the best fingerstyle guitar you will experience
Thank you! Do you know how the LS26 is for strumming or flatpicking?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 AM

I would say that model is an all around guitar. It does everything well.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Default Yamaha Guy

I started playing about 4 yrs back. My wife bought me a Yamaha F325 package guitar and was amazed at how good it sounded. Since then I went through a Fender, Art and Lutherie, a Tak, all dreads and decided I needed a picker and bought a Yamaha LS6. I totally agree with a previous post. The deep body gives it a full sound, but the small shape makes it easier to play. I'm putting a JJB 330 passive pickup in it tonight. I then wanted to see how good the electronics were in a newer Yamaha, bought a A3R, could not get delivery so I bought a LLX16. Wow I love it! Big dread sound with very cool, sensitive and natural sounding electronics. I'm a Yamaha guy, no mistake.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM

Default Ll6

I live Mine
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Personally, I have only played the 6 models - that is to say, the LS6, LL6, and LJ6.

I like them a lot - especially the LS6. The Engleman tops are a nice touch and give the guitar a slightly different color of sound than you normally hear (given that most guitars use Sitka spruce). The back/sides of the 6 models may be laminate but we are talking about Yamaha, a company that has made more exception-to-the-rule laminate guitars than any other.

I would love to have the opportunity to play the LS6 and LS16 side by side, to compare the laminate back/side model with its all-solid counterpart.

To be honest I'm not sure what you're paying for if you go up to the 26 and 36 series guitars. I know they are made in Japan, while the 6 and 16 guitars are made in a Yamaha facility in China... but I'm not sure if there are other structural/bracing/appointment/mojo/whatever difference besides the geographical location of manufacture.

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM

I own an LS6 and have for close to two years now. Great guitar, and I decided I prefer its stock saddle to the bone one I had in there for a short while. The bone didn't make the tone or volume worse, or better. It made it different, and I liked how the guitar sounded with the stock saddle more than I did when it had bone in it.

I also own an LJ6. Gah does the LJ6 boom, but it's also a bigger guitar. The LS6 is no slouch on volume, and its note clarity is pretty great. Sustain for days on the L's, as well.

Can't go wrong with an LS6. I imagine the 16 and 26 are great, too.
Blueridge BR-140A
Ibanez Talman
Harmony Sovereign circa 1970s
Old 02-14-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatalite View Post
I own an LS6 and have for close to two years now. Great guitar, and I decided I prefer its stock saddle to the bone one I had in there for a short while. The bone didn't make the tone or volume worse, or better. It made it different, and I liked how the guitar sounded with the stock saddle more than I did when it had bone in it.

I also own an LJ6. Gah does the LJ6 boom, but it's also a bigger guitar. The LS6 is no slouch on volume, and its note clarity is pretty great. Sustain for days on the L's, as well.

Can't go wrong with an LS6. I imagine the 16 and 26 are great, too.
That's interesting about the saddle. I've heard/read others say the same thing about Yamaha guitars - that they prefer the synthetic saddle over a bone replacement.

There seem to be a significant percentage of owners of other makers too (Larrivee and Taylor, off the top of my head) who prefer the tusq/plastic/whatever saddle the guitar comes with over a replacement made out of bone. Shoot, I like the stock tusq saddle in my Larrivee dread better than a bone saddle I tried myself....

Ibanez AC240
Yamaha AC1R
Epiphone AJ220S

"It's folk music so.... you can kind of do what you want." - David Hamburger, Blues Genealogy.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM

I own an LS6 and love it. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion