The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-20-2016, 09:10 AM

Default Cracks in beeswing Bubinga

I've got a lovely set of beeswing figured Bubinga that may not be quite so lovely- there are several tiny fissures/cracks running perpendicular to the grain. Can I just flood these with CA before bending or do I need to do more i.e. Veneer softener? Pretty good chance of breaking either way? Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:38 AM

I have not built any guitars but I have bent wood to make a patch for a hole in the side. I would use CA to glue it up before bending it. Then soak it and attempt to bend it. If it works, I would glue linen inside to support the crack. If the crack opens up when you bend it, you could try re-gluing it after it's bent.

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Old 06-20-2016, 01:41 PM

Rjienz : If you go to the Offical Luthiers Forum and enter + bending + bubinga into the search area you will find lots of info re: bending Bubinga. Have not used it myself but understand it is one of the more difficult woods to bend. I would suggest SS2, little water and a bending machine.
Tom
Old 06-20-2016, 05:18 PM

I can't say that I have ever tried it before but from my experience using CA for a variety of other reasons I would not think that would work at all. If you have cracks going across the grain that's a pretty serious problem. If it was with the grain then I'd say go for it, it's at least worth a try, assuming of course this is a hobby project for your self.
Old 06-20-2016, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjlenz View Post
I've got a lovely set of beeswing figured Bubinga that may not be quite so lovely- there are several tiny fissures/cracks running perpendicular to the grain. Can I just flood these with CA before bending or do I need to do more i.e. Veneer softener? Pretty good chance of breaking either way? Thanks for any advice.
I bought a few zebra-wood boards a few years back that so far I have only used as binding. They have similar "artifacts" to what you are describing. Those hairline cracks are trouble when bending. I'd certainly not trust this for sides.

Since your wood is bubinga, I cannot guarantee it is the same issue. Figured I'd pass this info along to you FWIW. Good luck.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 06-22-2016, 04:39 PM

Thanks for the helpful advice. Looks like the consensus is nail the boards to the wall and just look at them. Think that's what I'll do.
Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 PM

Well, you can thin it down and do a doubled side with something more stable, like Indian rosewood, if you want to try to save the set....
Old 06-23-2016, 06:39 AM

That's too bad. But for future use you might be able to use it for head plates or salvage some long pieces for bindings.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:28 PM

Just kidding about the nails. Head plates and bindings are where I'm going. Thanks for the input.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair