The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-24-2012, 03:00 PM

Default insane to attempt a rebuild?

my "qualifications"
31 years as an equipment mechanic
do basic woodworking in my little basic wood shop
experience in automotive painting (back yard) and air brushing
guitar work experience . . . zip, zilch, clueless almost.

1. Would I be able to do this repair/rebuild without special tools?
2. Would anyone here be willing to help me step by step as needed, or would I just be a pain in the rear on here?
3. My main concern would be a if there were any neck alignment issues.

Looking at this Tenor Guitar:

This is the vintage Harmony Archtone H1215 Tenor Acoustic guitar project. 22.50" scale. 1.28" nut width. 15 5/8" bottom bout. 3.25" deep. Printed soundhole #: 1832H1215- date code not legible. Harmony made some of the worlds coolest guitars. Using only solid wood construction, the Harmony guitars sounded better and many have survived the test of time, makng for great family heirlooms. Made only from '56-'71, this H1215 Tenor features a solid birch design. This makes for a great resonant guitar. The chunky softened V profile on the neck keeps a great classic feel. Of course, the white pinstriped 'binding' gives a great looks against the sunburst finish. This beauty is all original, but needs some TLC to bring it back to 100%. The top bracing glue has dried and the bracing has fallen into the guitar. The top and back both have sections that need to be reglued- as does the end of the fingerboard. The bottom F hole has a split to be glued as well. This is the perfect project for a beginning or experienced luthier/tech/guitar enthusiast. With a little work, you will have yourself a great vintage guitar. This is your chance to get your hands on a real diamond in the rough- the vintage Harmony H1215 Tenor

SteveH

Taylor 414CE Ltd Redwood Sinker
Martin 00-15M
Seagull Performer CW MJ Flame Maple
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Burgundy
Seagull S6+CW Folk GT 05 Limited Edition Blue
Oscar Schmidt Sovereign Mahogany a 1932 Model #5077
Campbell American Transitone (electric)
Ibanez SR650 Bass, natural finish ash
Yamaha SC400 natural finish ash
Old 01-24-2012, 09:13 PM

I've never tackled an archtop, but I think you've got a difficult project there with very little upside (in the sense that it's not a very desirable or responsive guitar).

Since there's no sound hole, you'd need to remove the top or back for access to fix the braces, and that means new binding, refinishing, etc.

The old Harmony guitars can be easy to work on because they're put together with hide glue, but I'd pick a different model to start with.

If you're committed to moving ahead, then register on the Harmony forum, and they'd almost surely give you a heap of help.

http://harmony.demont.net/board/

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

How far are you from Eighty Four Pa? 15330 As you can see from my posts I have a special place in my heart for Tenors. I'd be happy to walk you through what I know.
A sharpened putty knife and slow pace will be your friend. You will know when you are going too fast you will hear a crack.
TAKE lots of pictures for reference!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM

Absolutely give it a shot. If "Kitchen Guitars" can give you guidence and you have patience you can do it. There are many sources of information to guide you on many of the tasks including Frank Ford's website.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 01-25-2012, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the input.
Gitnoob . . . I probably should pass on it, but if I get it cheap enough, I suppose it'd be a good one to dive in on. Sound aside, I love the "f" hole looks, and would use it on occasion for some recording and probably just goof off with it.
Kitchen Guitars . . . Cool! Suppose we could PM/e-mail info as needed. Been down your way before, and Wheeling W.V. area, it's about 2.5 -3 hours (2.5 to Wheeling).
Fnesnor . . . I think I'll try to aquire it, force myself to take my time and between Kitchen Guitars, Harmony website, and the fellow you mentioned, maybe I can cut my teeth on this one.
p.s. Kitchen Guitars, you have any budget ones for sale?

SteveH

Martin 00-15M
Old 01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomfarm View Post
Thanks for the input.
Gitnoob . . . I probably should pass on it, but if I get it cheap enough, I suppose it'd be a good one to dive in on. Sound aside, I love the "f" hole looks, and would use it on occasion for some recording and probably just goof off with it.
Kitchen Guitars . . . Cool! Suppose we could PM/e-mail info as needed. Been down your way before, and Wheeling W.V. area, it's about 2.5 -3 hours (2.5 to Wheeling).
Fnesnor . . . I think I'll try to aquire it, force myself to take my time and between Kitchen Guitars, Harmony website, and the fellow you mentioned, maybe I can cut my teeth on this one.
p.s. Kitchen Guitars, you have any budget ones for sale?
Always happy to help. If you get her come by. I might be closer than Wheeling. I am 5 miles tops from the 70/79 interchange.
I have pulled apart a few and gotten them back. Right now I am working slowly on an Oak Train Wreck.
Budget? If you mean old ones you would want to talk to Vintage Parlors (Site Sponsor) . I am going to build and intend to sell eight custom mini Tenors this year. #1 the Leopard Munchkin is for sale. No price yet cause I haven't tuned her up yet. Fancy with Proto type imperfections. If the tone is what I think it will be I was thinking $800.
$1200 to $1600 on "Production" models. I see bandaged old Martins going for that much. I can get FANCY board sets off the full size guitar radar!
I have surfed the internet and ebay. Antiques, projects or Chinese. No customs "out there". I hope I found a hole I can fill.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
I am going to build and intend to sell eight custom mini Tenors this year. #1 the Leopard Munchkin is for sale. No price yet cause I haven't tuned her up yet. Fancy with Proto type imperfections. If the tone is what I think it will be I was thinking $800.
$1200 to $1600 on "Production" models. I see bandaged old Martins going for that much. I can get FANCY board sets off the full size guitar radar!
I have surfed the internet and ebay. Antiques, projects or Chinese. No customs "out there". I hope I found a hole I can fill.
Curious as to what you mean by "mini." I like the custom part, that'd be cool. Thanks for the invite! I may take you up on that if I get it.

SteveH

Martin 00-15M
Old 01-26-2012, 07:02 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Curious as to what you mean by "mini." I like the custom part, that'd be cool. Thanks for the invite! I may take you up on that if I get it.

Here is mine (unfinished) next to a Blueridge (Martin Tenor size size)

Here she is next to a Dred I am building.
Thats what I mean by TINY
Old 01-27-2012, 09:02 AM

Nice . . . those will be very nice . . . (nut width? or custom it could be any?). I missed out on the "f" hole Stella. I wasn't going to pay that much for a busted up tenor. Round hole one went for 450ish+ in decent shape. I'd rather by one from you. BUT in the mean time I did find a just listed with a buy it now Stella round hole tenor for under $100 and sucked it up! It's very cosmetically challenged, but that's my "stronger area" and has two small cracks. I'll be looking for guidance when I get it . . . would love to check out your work too . . .

SteveH

Martin 00-15M
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM

Assuming you already have a woodworking shop, you still will need to buy and make some tools.

But the thing is, this was a bottom of the line guitar from a low end maker. It has painted on "binding" and fretmarkers; all parts are the cheapest made. The nonadjustable necks are rarely straight. Nothing you can do to it will make it a "great vintage guitar." If you get it for free (a fair price given the condition), and do great work, it will still be a cheaply made, bottom of the line guitar. You may value your time at nothing, but you will spend more on tools and materials than the guitar is worth after it is fixed. Rick Turner used to refer to this as "polishing a turd."

You don't need to take a chance beginning on an expensive guitar, but if you think you can do competent work (it sounds as if you can), do it on a guitar that is worth investing your time in.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 06-28-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
my "qualifications"
31 years as an equipment mechanic
do basic woodworking in my little basic wood shop
experience in automotive painting (back yard) and air brushing
guitar work experience . . . zip, zilch, clueless almost.
Your mechanical background and aptitude lend well to being capable of doing repairs.

Do not see an issue, many people (here/forum) have good ideas and can walk you through the unknown.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 PM

Not insane at all. But important to keep in mind what Howard stated.

These instruments can be nice for hobbyists to work on specifically because of this. Better than working on a 6k vintage instrument for the first attempt at a re-build.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Last edited by Ned Milburn; 06-29-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2016, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Assuming you already have a woodworking shop, you still will need to buy and make some tools.

But the thing is, this was a bottom of the line guitar from a low end maker. It has painted on "binding" and fretmarkers; all parts are the cheapest made. The nonadjustable necks are rarely straight. Nothing you can do to it will make it a "great vintage guitar." If you get it for free (a fair price given the condition), and do great work, it will still be a cheaply made, bottom of the line guitar. You may value your time at nothing, but you will spend more on tools and materials than the guitar is worth after it is fixed. Rick Turner used to refer to this as "polishing a turd."

You don't need to take a chance beginning on an expensive guitar, but if you think you can do competent work (it sounds as if you can), do it on a guitar that is worth investing your time in.
Sound advice , Howard, albeit four and a half years too late for the OP's purposes ...
Old 06-29-2016, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
... Harmony made some of the worlds coolest guitars. Using only solid wood construction, the Harmony guitars sounded better and many have survived the test of time, makng for great family heirlooms....features a solid birch design. This makes for a great resonant guitar. ...Of course, the white pinstriped 'binding' gives a great looks against the sunburst finish. This beauty is all original, but needs some TLC to bring it back to 100%. ... a great vintage guitar. This is your chance to get your hands on a real diamond...

That seller is a master salesman.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-29-2016, 08:01 AM

I would have to agree that there is almost nothing you can do to make this a good guitar. I never really understood why people like these so much but the fact of the matter is they do and sometimes I make money fixing them even though I try to convince customers it's not worth it. Usually it comes down to, "it was my grandfathers guitar that he used to play for us as kids.' And that's great! That makes it very worth fixing up and repairing.

But you can have fun doing it and might even learn something too.

I have recently gotten the bug to build a tenor. Once I clear a few projects out of the way and have some free time to build one on my own it will be a tenor. They are very cool instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair