The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-29-2016, 11:56 AM

Default Looking for Taylor Guitar Bodies !!!

I have a 1998 655 taylor 12 string neck and a Taylor NS74ce Neck. Looking for bodies to go with them, leads or advice please, I have contacted - Taylor, sweetwater, guitar center waiting to hear back, any shops or online places you know of?
Old 06-29-2016, 05:26 PM

??, why do you have necks.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-29-2016, 06:31 PM

My guess is that you will have an easier time selling these necks than finding intacts bodies to match Odds are that bodies would not survive damage as well as necks might.

Is there a cool story how you came to have disembodied necks?
Old 06-30-2016, 03:22 AM

Default Gibson J45 Neck

I'm curious as to how you have a neck and no body as well. I presently have a perfect neck from a 2015 Gibson J45 and going to sell the neck if I don't find a body to fit this dove tail neck. The body was damaged beyond repair but neck is fine.
Old 06-30-2016, 05:33 AM

Tis the bodies that always get damaged beyond repair....that is why you have necks and no bodies, eh?

Good luck but I must say I don't think I have ever come across a Taylor body by itself...lot's of necks though......
Old 06-30-2016, 06:07 AM

yes I am wondering if I will find any bodies. I have a friend that makes guitar. I may have to build one. I sent a message to Taylor, which they sold used bodies but they do not. Would any other brand of guitar body work? are there any places that sell parts online?
Old 06-30-2016, 07:23 AM

I just don't think it's economically reasonable thing. If you are going to have a guitar built I can't imagine a luthier accepting to do so with a Taylor neck. And I would probably charge you just as much or at least close enough to the full price of a guitar to build a body around that neck.

So it's a wash.

You could have fun with it though and build a cigar box type contraption or just nail it to a log, solder up some pickups, and call it an electric guitar too
Old 07-01-2016, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1244 View Post
Would any other brand of guitar body work?
Not without major modifications....
Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 AM

what type of modifications?
Old 07-01-2016, 08:49 PM

Default guitar modifications to accept a Taylor neck

All your questions are answered in the current issue of Taylor's house magazine, 'Wood and Steel'. Go grab a copy at a Taylor dealer's. Better than us trying to explain something that ain't easy to explain.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:12 AM

Occasionally (rarely) I see WTB posts for replacement necks to swap for damaged ones. Taylor will only sell new necks to dealers and often charges nearly the cost of a whole new guitar, as I understand it. Their maximum value will be as replacement parts....

It isn't feasible to fit an NT neck to anything but an NT body.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch1244 View Post
what type of modifications?
Taylor's neck joint system is patented and unlike anything else I am aware of in the industry. First here is a pic of a taylor joint.

Now here is a typical dovetail type joint.....

The two are nothing alike.......
Old 07-02-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Occasionally (rarely) I see WTB posts for replacement necks to swap for damaged ones. Taylor will only sell new necks to dealers and often charges nearly the cost of a whole new guitar, as I understand it. Their maximum value will be as replacement parts....

It isn't feasible to fit an NT neck to anything but an NT body.
Anything's feasible! As to fitting an NT neck into a body with a dovetail join, it's not conceptually hard, though crazy. If I had to do it, I'd remove the fingerboard "extension," add a piece of binding to "flush" the heel cap, then make a dovetail wedge out of phenolic that fits perfectly onto the donor body, then drill two holes with countersinks and screw said wedge to the existing bolt holes in the Taylor neck.

Retrofitting an existing body, however, to receive an NT neck, is a lot more involved, but again, not out the realm of possibility.
Old 07-02-2016, 02:34 PM

I picked up a used GS Mini neck for $50 and retrofitted it to a 1940s Kay arch top body to make a stellar octave mandolin. It wasn't particularly difficult, but it was necessary to make a router jig to cut the angled heel mortise shape and tongue extension area in the Kay body.

The neck was narrowed and the peg head re-drilled and new overlay added to accommodate 2 additional Taylor tuners.

As said, anything is possible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair