The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Guest4562

Default Locating Braces on an HD-35

I want to install a B-Band UST in my HD 35. Because of my location, a repair person is not locally available; I'll be doing the work myself.

As you are aware, this requires drilling a 45 degree hole on the bass side of the saddle slot. B-Band says that the hole can alternatively be 90 degrees, but I imagine they first stipulated 45 for a reason.

Using a mirror I can tell about where the brace is, but close is not good enough. Is there a formula for calculating this, or, the better question would be, how do you guys approach this?

Thank you for your help.
Old 06-11-2016, 05:35 PM

Small magnets. One outside, one inside. You should be able to run the inside one along the braces and have the outside one follow along. The magnets need to be the same size of course. Soften the outside one with masking tape or felt so you don't scratch the finish. Make a mark with the magnets following the bridge plate side of the x at the lower and upper end, with fine felt pen on masking tape on the outside, then lay a straight edge along the marks and you'll see where the brace runs. Only needed for the low E x, as the high e hole doesn't go all the way through.

Cumbersome description, but you should be able to figure it out...
Old 06-11-2016, 06:31 PM
Guest4562

Perfect, thanks!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:14 PM

No worries, eh.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:17 AM

A light inside the box also works, but it has to be low heat.
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair