The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 AM

Default 1st song posting... About time!

My 1st song for "Show & Tell" Forum. I have been watching many of you guys grow in your ability over the last several years, really inspiring... I have commented on many of your posted song clips.

This is "Closer to Fine" by Indigo Girls, my friend Jill singing & me playing guitar. Recording with Zoom H2 in an empty room with hard surfaces, no effects, just natural room reverb. Guitar is an Eastman E10D, well used strings.

https://soundcloud.com/billder99/closer-to-fine-01

I hope to post more in the coming year... the feedback I frequently see here is very helpful.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 03-30-2015 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:51 AM

This is an impressive beginning. All of this is new to you, yet you forged ahead. I saw you asking questions about Audacity in some other threads and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you carried through.

Nice job accompanying Jill. Jill has a great voice. I liked how you used a minimal approach.

noman

Undefined People Music Site
Old 03-16-2015, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noman View Post
This is an impressive beginning. All of this is new to you, yet you forged ahead. I saw you asking questions about Audacity in some other threads and I was pleasantly surprised to see that you carried through...
Nice job accompanying Jill. Jill has a great voice. I liked how you used a minimal approach.
Thanks Noman, Jill makes me sound better than I am!

I have been fooling around with the H2 for quite awhile, just recording my practices. I've learned some feel for mic placement, though this is the very first time I recorded with another person... the recording is weighted to the vocals a bit, and the gain seems a bit hot.

Yesterday I downloaded Audacity... just did a wee bit of snipping at the ends, and cut out one goof where I stopped, talked thru, and started again... worked out ok!

I just figured I had better post something to get started here on AGF... so many talented musicians and technicians. I appreciate the feedback.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!

Last edited by billder99; 03-30-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 PM
G625 mistral-k

Nicely done!...one of my favorite acoustic songs I enjoyed your playing and your Jill's voice. I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
Nicely done!...one of my favorite acoustic songs I enjoyed your playing and your Jill's voice. I really enjoyed it, thanks for posting.
Thanks! I realize now that I should have put "Closer to Fine" in the description, rather than "About time!"... I'd better get cracking and post another.

Old 03-30-2015, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

I enjoy great recordings but there is something about the raw stuff like this that just has a vibe and feel I like...very nice! Wonderful vox and playing...look forward to more buddy so keep 'em comin'!
Old 03-30-2015, 09:54 AM

that was an awesome first posting. couldn't be much closer to fine without stepping on it's little toes.

you went to the forum, you joined around december,
you looked to the experts, you learned from the members.

yea!

Last edited by mc1; 03-30-2015 at 06:40 PM. Reason: tpyo
Old 03-30-2015, 11:44 AM

Very nicely done! You two make a wonderful musical team...I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 03-30-2015, 06:34 PM

Nole, MC, Bob, I've been watching you guys for a long time (and many others here in Show & Tell). You don't know how inspiring it is to see you guys and many others grow as musicians... to me, that has been one of the greatest things about this forum. You show that it can be done, if one is willing to invest the string time.

I've actually been an AGF member for about 5 years, started playing on Jan 1, 2010 and haven't stopped yet. I feel like my playing has come along enough to start feeling good about it... no destination in mind, just really enjoying the journey and my many adventures along the way. Music has changed my life for the better.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:06 PM

Outstanding!

I played that many, many moons ago. Time to get the book out and relearn it.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
you went to the forum, you joined around december,
you looked to the experts, you learned from the members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
I've actually been an AGF member for about 5 years, started playing on Jan 1, 2010 and haven't stopped yet. I feel like my playing has come along enough to start feeling good about it... no destination in mind, just really enjoying the journey and my many adventures along the way. Music has changed my life for the better.
and that's a fact!

if you gave the date details because of my post, i was just (poorly) playing off the lyrics to the song ("i went to the doctor, i went to the mountain..."), and needed a rhyme for member.

Last edited by mc1; 03-30-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
and that's a fact!

if you gave the date details because of my post, i was just (poorly) playing off the lyrics to the song ("i went to the doctor, i went to the mountain..."), and needed a rhyme for member.
Doh! (slaps forehead)... I completely missed it. Thanks for that! I will sing it and tell the story of where it came from... pretty darned cool.

Old 03-31-2015, 10:09 AM

LOVED this. Guitar and a voice--honest and simple. Very glad that you chose to share your first recording with us. Once in a blue moon I stumble on my first recordings and, frankly, they're mostly unlistenable. This is a great start and a good listen in its own right. I feel like I could hear your playing get more confident as the song progressed. Nice job, Bill!
Old 03-31-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
LOVED this. Guitar and a voice--honest and simple. Very glad that you chose to share your first recording with us. Once in a blue moon I stumble on my first recordings and, frankly, they're mostly unlistenable. This is a great start and a good listen in its own right. I feel like I could hear your playing get more confident as the song progressed. Nice job, Bill!
From Soundcloud, TJPenitencia... is that real, or nom de guerre? (I think I get the irony) I really like Sombras... do you wear them when you play? Man, every post of yours on Soundcloud is so good... acoustic guitar polyrhythm, tasteful electric leads, smooth baritone voice, excellent production. Do you play professionally?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Honest. Home run. Drop mic walk off stage.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell