The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Which did you buy, the Bose L1 Compact or the Fishman SA220?
Bose L1 Compact 10 10.75%
Bose L1 Compact and a Bose T1 Mixer 12 12.90%
Bose L1 Compact and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 10 10.75%
Fishman SA 220 29 31.18%
Fishman SA 220 and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 6 6.45%
Another compact PA solution 27 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2015, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

A nice quality about the Bose L1 Compact is that it can also be used with the upper speaker array nested in the integrated bass-speaker/power stand which makes for easy placement on a table or shelf. The upper-speaker array extensions need not be used if not necessary.

SpruceTop

Normal configuration:

Compact configuration:
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 05-22-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:15 AM

I did some more research on the vocal effects and harmony box. Found one for $100 new online. Won't wait for the holidays at that price. I'm eager to try it with the new Fishman.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Default Compact vs SA220

I A/B-ed the two for 2 weeks before deciding the Bose suited my voice better. It was a tough choice. Things I liked and didn't like about each:

Bose - has only 1 XLR input, which means I have to carry a mixer every time. That was the big minus for me (I don't use pickups and play multiple instruments at each gig). Otherwise, the Fishstick was 1/3 heavier (but still light). Bose clearly had the better bass, but Fishman's was still adequate. Bose has a smaller footprint, which is something of an advantage at times. I have not found it difficult to manage two items to carry as opposed to Fishman's one. They are lighter and, when transported, don't tip over (carried in the hand - -duh), but they don't roll either.

Fishman - the case was quite nice, but was too narrow and I had constant problem with tip-over when not on pavement. Their phone Help was slightly better than Bose's, though that was pretty good as well. Feedback was not really a problem with either, but I had more with the Fishstick. I have heard of more problems and breakdowns with the Fishman as opposed to Bose, but really, both are pretty well made.

Setup and take-down was easy for both and there was not enough of a difference to mention. Both seem to cover the room well without being too loud up front.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Ah! This is a very good point. With the Bose, you lift mount the light parts. With the Fishman you lift and mount the heavy part.
Guys, come on -- it's not very heavy!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-21-2015, 08:22 PM

Great info!
I'm a big SA220 fan and have logged 300 or so gigs on mine without a single problem. I clearly prefer the Fishman, but as I've said before, both of these are great units -- for very similar purposes but with some very distinct main differences, I think. I won't ramble too much, but IMO, the main differences are
1 - Sound. They sound different. One sounds like, you know, apples, the other sounds like, well, oranges. My descriptions aren't important, and a lot of people might say they both sound great -- kinda like guitars. But las with guitars, one's own ears ought to be the judge, I'd think.
2 - Stock features/controls. I have to think the SA220 wins this one hands down, with five reverb settings and separate adjustable reverb for both channels, 3-band EQ on both channels, frequency/feedback control (which works great for me), a third aux input channel, pad buttons on both channels, and other cool stuff. I know some are quite happy with the minimal controls on the Bose without the extra Tonematch unit, but sorry, for that amount of money, and from a company like Bose, I expect at least some basic control over my sound without forking over almost 50% more for it.
Both systems set up really fast, both are very easily transportable, both weigh roughly the same, both units work with pretty close to the same size rooms, as I understand, both companies make great stuff. All that might be roughly a wash. The SA has tons of power, too; I could count the times I had to turn my main volume up over 25% on 3-4 fingers. One thing I think people forget a lot, at least about the SA220, is that it's a SOLO performance system that's engineered for the frequency ranges of the human voice and guitar. I've never thought the SA lacked in any way for low end -- because I'm only running a voice and guitar through it. You may well need something else for something else. i don't know how Bose markets their stuff but in my book, the SA isn't lacking in any way for the purpose intended. And I know I've gotten many compliments on my sound, although Bose users, I'm sure, can say the same.
I think the bottom line is for people to assess the differences in these units and most importantly, HEAR them before you buy and know what features you value. But again, they're two great systems and it's great to have choices like these.
Great thread!

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Default Bose L1 Compact vs Fishman SA220

Thanks for the contribution slewis! And, yes, the units are not that heavy, but I was being courteous to a member who struggled lifting the SA 220. I think his point was legitimate, thought I don't have any weight limitations myself. So far, the survey indicates a pretty even split between Bose and Fishman. But, the largest single group is (8 of 8 Fishman users) run the Fishman, out of the box, as designed. At present, 5 of 9 Bose L1 compact users supplement their systems with an outboard mixer. We definitely need more data.
Is there a way to draw more attention to the survey?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-21-2015 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Guys, come on -- it's not very heavy!

Tell me that when you are 75 and still gigging.
Yamaha FSX800C
Bose L1c
Schertler Jam 100
Gretsch G2655
Gretsch G5655T
Old 05-22-2015, 12:23 PM

I'd like to see a few more poll responses. If you have experience owning these systems, please chime in.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Fishman SA220 arrived today. 2 day shipping - not bad. I set it up for about 20 minutes to demo in the basement. Very nice.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-22-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:30 AM

Congrats, Dave. Have fun!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 05-25-2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Out of curiosity, would a tonematch port in the Bose compact caused you to consider the T1? It's a purely hypothetical question. Otherwise, I agree that both systems are excellent.
Yes. The need for an external power supply, extra leads, and no easy mount on the Compact puts the T1 in the same boat as any other external mixer. So no real point getting the T1 when there are so many other choices out there. That's why I just use a Zed 10.

For the other L1 models, getting a T1 to go with it is a no-brainer for solo and duo gigs.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
Tell me that when you are 75 and still gigging.
Apologies, of course -- if weight's an issue, weight's an issue. I thought, though, the other night, as I was setting mine up, that the SA220 would be really easy to put up without lifting the amp up high -- you could essentially have the tripod set-up but almost horizontal, then slide the amp on to the top of the pole and then lean it all to a vertical position. Not a lot of lifting up high that way....

-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-26-2015, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Apologies, of course -- if weight's an issue, weight's an issue. I thought, though, the other night, as I was setting mine up, that the SA220 would be really easy to put up without lifting the amp up high -- you could essentially have the tripod set-up but almost horizontal, then slide the amp on to the top of the pole and then lean it all to a vertical position. Not a lot of lifting up high that way....
Sean, on an unrelated note, I listed to some of your music on the website. You've got a great voice. Are you using any vocal effects other than a touch of reverb?
Old 05-27-2015, 12:26 PM

We've had a few more votes. Still nearly neck and neck for the Bose L1 compact versus the Fishman SA. However, interestingly, approximately 75% of Bose users supplement their L1 compacts with a mixer. Conversely, 75% of Fishman users operate them stand alone.

Since they each have two channels, it seems 27 of the 31 users need more flexibility that the L1 compact affords with it's tonematch XLR mic channel and single 1/4" secondary channel.

I would suggest to Bose, should they desire to read this, that augmenting the L1 compact with similar I/O as the Fishman would possibly improve their sales. But, then again, if they continue to sell more T1 mixers, as a result of this design, then I suspect their margins are great already. I presume the margins on the T1 mixer must be extraordinary compared the L1 compact alone.

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-27-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Dave;

I agree that the T1 is an expensive piece of gear, but I have to say that it is an AMAZING LITTLE unit! When I first bought it, I did so because I got such a great price on a used L1 Model I that I justified it, knowing that Bose gear is notoriously proprietary (doesn't play well with others!)...

When I started digging in to the thing and all that it can do - and I still haven't found out everything yet! - I was stunned! What I thought was an expensive little mixer turns out to be the most fabulous mixer I have ever used!

There are so many different aspects to the thing, to what it can do to any of the channels, that I won't even go into listing them here... suffice to say that a unit that has a manual of 100 "small print" pages has got some serious capabilities!

Not to mention that it was designed to be used with the L1 family...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification