The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Great Video, thanks for posting, going to make me nervous though the next time I hit 200 mph on my Blackbird Lucky 13 !!! Guess i better slow down so no one in the stands gets hurt!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 PM

Can anyone speak to the difference between carbon fiber and glass fiber? Is an all-carbon-fiber guitar superior to the hybrid of carbon/glass? Would there be a difference in strenght? durability against humidity/temperature? Any other concerns or reasons why I would want to purchase the carbon fiber over the hybrid?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:27 PM

These guitars are as good as it gets,,no humidity worries etc. and you don't need to case them every night or worry about accidentally leaving in the car or whatever,,,,,they play like the best wood guitar there is period. The necks are so stable you rarely tune as compared to wood, the action never changes once set up, contrary to wood and mine at least and most I have heard have great tone to top it off!!
My only reason for parting with mine is to obtain a 13/16 nut and shorter scale and 12 frets, but everything about carbon fiber far surpasses wood for peace of mind.
There are days when because of heat or humidity levels my other wood guitar stays cased, and I play my CF every day without concern.
Another benefit is aesthetics you can get any color you want and custom tops etc. and you don't need to worry about that 1k special Adi top Cracking or dinging it and getting sick over it...............................JMO
Old 07-28-2016, 06:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeguam View Post
Can anyone speak to the difference between carbon fiber and glass fiber? Is an all-carbon-fiber guitar superior to the hybrid of carbon/glass? Would there be a difference in strenght? durability against humidity/temperature? Any other concerns or reasons why I would want to purchase the carbon fiber over the hybrid?
I could be wrong, but I believe RainSong is the only CF builder offering such construction variances, and I believe the hybrid was done to create a guitar with different tone, perhaps more wood-like compared to their other offerings. Again, Ted will likely be the best to clarify.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:43 PM

Most of the questions have been answered already, however I will throw in my 2 cents on truss rods.

I have a Rainsong Shorty with a truss rod and a WS3000 without one. Given a choice, I wouldn't buy one without a truss rod again. No truss rod = no adjustment for relief, so it might be correct, it might not, but it's going to change when you change string gauge.

I have to keep my WS3000 tuned down a full step to get the relief flattened out properly, if it had a truss rod I could tune to concert without problems.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-28-2016, 09:58 PM

The "lair" is where I store my "tunics".
Dang speel-checkker.

I play in several tunings while driving the layers of the CF body.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
They sound different. I bought the hybrid model because I liked the tone better.
Old 08-01-2016, 02:21 PM

Quote:
What gfa said, they sound different. I would also add that it is cheaper material with the fiberglass/ carbon fiber mix than the full carbon fiber, so it is a way to save some bucks on a composite guitar. I actually prefer the tone of the hybrid construction especially when paired with the unidirectional top- that is precisely why I went with the Shorty. It really comes down to what you want as far as specs and tone because I don't believe that there is any difference in durability and I'm certain there are no issues with temperature and/or humidity on the hybrid guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber