The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2015, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Default GAS'd for something I REALLY don't need...

I needed another Taylor like another hole in my head but sometimes a guitar just has that special something. An intangible that just sets it apart and this one had it...

I decided to check out GC's guitarathon sale while it was going on. After a while I was pretty set on this nice OM 28 they just got in. It wasn't even part of the sale but I really liked it. I took a quick look at the Taylors and randomly picked up a new 414ce.

Now before I go on, Ive played several brand new 400 models and none really grabbed me. This one not only grabbed me, it literally clamped on to my arm and then went for my throat. At first I was like "Nah... I must be imagining things. This guitar isn't that great is it?"

There were 2 other 414's just like it hanging on the wall so I tried them and they didn't compare. They seemed like the same old 400 model ive played before. I picked up first one again and it was magic... Then I went for a new 814 and it didn't live up either. I might even go as far as saying the 814 sounded thin!

I looked back at the OM 28 and became torn so I tried both again and went home with the 414

/facepalm

Last edited by Glennwillow; 05-14-2015 at 08:12 AM. Reason: language
Old 05-14-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
I needed another Taylor like another hole in my head but sometimes a guitar just has that special something. An intangible that just sets it apart and DAMMIT this one had it...

I decided to check out GC's guitarathon sale while it was going on. After a while I was pretty set on this nice OM 28 they just got in. It wasn't even part of the sale but I really liked it. I took a quick look at the Taylors and randomly picked up a new 414ce.

Now before I go on, Ive played several brand new 400 models and none really grabbed me. This one not only grabbed me, it literally clamped on to my arm and then went for my throat. At first I was like "Nah... I must be imagining things. This guitar isn't that great is it?"

There were 2 other 414's just like it hanging on the wall so I tried them and they didn't compare. They seemed like the same old 400 model ive played before. I picked up first one again and it was magic... Then I went for a new 814 and it didn't live up either. I might even go as far as saying the 814 sounded thin!

I looked back at the OM 28 and became torn so I tried both again and went home with the 414

/facepalm
That is Taylor's, (IMHO) weakness, there seems to be a big gap in sound from guitar to guitar. I had one ordered online and it just didn't have it. I am thankful that you found a keeper, and you did need it cause it grabbed you in such a way as to want it badly. I was grabbed in that same way when I found my Breedlove Dreadnought/Hog. I traded in a relatively new Martin and took a $900 hit on value, that didn't even faze me as I had to have it.

My GAS is the D-35 standard and at $400.00 off it still doesn't have the bang that my Breedlove does. Even GC's guitarathon can't lure me in on such a giant deal as that.

You are fortunate enough to have found that must have piece then it is justified. You are envied for having such a great guitar and the ES2 system is top notch once you get it adjusted to your liking.
Congrats Dude!
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 05-14-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipguitar_pro View Post
...This one not only grabbed me, it literally clamped on to my arm and then went for my throat...
When you misuse the word "literally" you are using it in the exact opposite way it was intended to be used

Pedanticism aside, that's a pretty nice story. Congrats on the new guitar!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:16 AM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
That is Taylor's, (IMHO) weakness, there seems to be a big gap in sound from guitar to guitar.
Well, yes and no I think many companies have the same issue, different tones from the same model. I know Gibson does and I've tested D-28's from Nazareth that have a different sound.

But it might not be a weakness, I picture it as a strength. It means that guitars from higher-end companies, especially solid wood instruments, have their own individual personality as opposed to being "stamped out" of a mold like a Cort or a Samick. The difference in wood from guitar to guitar is enough to vary tone quite a bit. Meaning one piece of Sitka in one instrument may give out a different different color of tone than a Sitka piece in another guitar of the same model or make.

And since beautiful tone is in the "eye" of the beholder, the same Taylor 414s that the OP played and rejected might be someone else's dream guitar(s).

So I don't think it's a problem inasmuch as it's a reminder to not purchase a TaylorGuildGibsonMartinEtc. before you play it.

OP: Congratulations! PICTURES!!
Old 05-14-2015, 06:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Stone View Post
Well, yes and no I think many companies have the same issue, different tones from the same model. I know Gibson does and I've tested D-28's from Nazareth that have a different sound.

But it might not be a weakness, I picture it as a strength. It means that guitars from higher-end companies, especially solid wood instruments, have their own individual personality as opposed to being "stamped out" of a mold like a Cort or a Samick. The difference in wood from guitar to guitar is enough to vary tone quite a bit. Meaning one piece of Sitka in one instrument may give out a different different color of tone than a Sitka piece in another guitar of the same model or make.

And since beautiful tone is in the "eye" of the beholder, the same Taylor 414s that the OP played and rejected might be someone else's dream guitar(s).

So I don't think it's a problem inasmuch as it's a reminder to not purchase a TaylorGuildGibsonMartinEtc. before you play it.

OP: Congratulations! PICTURES!!

I stand corrected and ditto that about Martin, Gibson, etc. I was just one who found out the hard way.

All in all the op has a keeper, one of the fortunate ones to have found "That One".
2014 Martin GPCPA4-Natural Stamped "Made in USA"
Fishman Loudbox Artist Amp. 120 Watts
Old 05-14-2015, 06:22 AM

I feel like since I bought my Martin I should also buy the Breedlove I've been playing at the store for the last few months too. I don't have GAS but if I buy this Breedlove it may have started.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 05-14-2015, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
When you misuse the word "literally" you are using it in the exact opposite way it was intended to be used

Pedanticism aside, that's a pretty nice story. Congrats on the new guitar!
Wouldn't "pedantry" be a better choice in this context?

"This one not only grabbed me, it literally clamped on to my arm and then went for my throat. At first I was like "Nah... I must be imagining things.

Yes I think you are. Professional consultation advised.
Old 05-14-2015, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

It's a friggin disease. I purchased an OM-28 on Tuesday, played a CEO-7 last night at guitar center and ordered one this morning. Now I have every size and wood covered. Wish I would learn how to play decently first!
Old 05-14-2015, 09:53 AM

I had a similar experience years ago. I was traveling for business and had time to kill between meetings, so I popped into that local guitar store. I found a 414ce that just "spoke" to me, so I bought it on the spot. It was my first Taylor. It is still one of my favorite guitars, and I gigged with it many times. I have even had several offers for straight up trades for nice D-28's and HD-28's over the years. Every time I think about selling it to thin the herd a bit, I realize that I will never be able to get anything like its real worth in resale value. My 414 just stands head and shoulders above its peers.

Glad you found "the one" for you.
Old 05-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Guest316

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfflyer55 View Post
I stand corrected and ditto that about Martin, Gibson, etc. I was just one who found out the hard way.

All in all the op has a keeper, one of the fortunate ones to have found "That One".
Oh yeah, I love my Gibson - the tone haunts me. But others play it and say "Mark, I don't know what you see in this guitar . . ." It is a great thing to find "the one" - but it's not "the one" for all ears
Old 05-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Congrats Flipguitar, nothing like connecting with a new guitar.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:08 PM

It's funny reading this. I recently went to a GC to pick up some strings, went into the acoustic room and they had a 414ce hanging on the wall. I grabbed it, sat down for a few minutes to play with it and was absolutely floored. It was effortless to play and sounded gorgeous. If I had not just bought a guitar a week before that I may have bought it on the spot! I had previously looked at the 400 series a year or so ago when I picked up my 314ce and was pretty ambivalent about the ones I played. Thought they were nice, but nothing extraordinary.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Professional consultation advised.
Figuratively, of course.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM

Default GAS'd for something I REALLY don't need..

What's "Need" got to do with it......?
Old 05-14-2015, 01:24 PM

I know the feeling. My GC has 1990 Martin J-18 in stock. I have no need for it, but a strong hankering wells up in my loins as I consider, consider, consider.

Also thinking of an Epi Sg No use for that too, but a strong hankering...

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion