The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2016, 02:52 PM
Guest 928

I haven't viewed this as exactly off topic in that if I was a CF luthier I'd be paying attention to what CF acoustic players have to say about electrics.

Also, this would be a good thread for listing the various CF electrics. I know there's an Israeli maker producing some really neat electric guitars, CA made an electric, and there's got to be more out there.
Old 07-08-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I haven't viewed this as exactly off topic in that if I was a CF luthier I'd be paying attention to what CF acoustic players have to say about electrics.

Also, this would be a good thread for listing the various CF electrics. I know there's an Israeli maker producing some really neat electric guitars, CA made an electric, and there's got to be more out there.
With your imprimatur, Evan, I believe we are now on safe ground!
Old 07-08-2016, 03:36 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post

Yeah, CA offered the "Blade" electric, some of which were branded the CE (Composite Electric) Blade. Iirc, some forum members own examples of each, including AGF owner J.R. Rogers. There was a thread about it not so long ago.

Edit: Here's the thread http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=410833 I noticed in the thread that Ted @ LA Guitars has a very cool looking copper one, but the pics are no longer in the thread.

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-08-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

Haven't seen many CF electrics. CA used to make one called "The Blade" that looked pretty cool. I have a friend in MA that builds electrics (he builds fine furniture for a living, and electrics on the side, and they're gorgeous). He's got a CF electric, but I don't think it is entirely CF, and it's pricey:

http://www.zozoguitars.com/services.html

Found another called Eleven Guitars, but their site doesn't show anything about how to buy them.

Anyway, many, many good choices of electrics out there, thankfully!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:03 PM

Like Evan said, there is definitely a market here if a CF luthier or two were to figure out how to make electrics at a reasonable price like they have done for acoustics. In the meantime I am going to probably keep looking at new electrics and either get a new mid range or used mid to upper range electric or two once I have settled on specific models. Knowing my past buying history I may still be thinking about this next year, but it's on my radar and will happen sooner or later.

Keep the ideas and guitar choices coming. If you are a CF luthier and you have a classic looking prototype you want to try out on some gullible sod, feel free to email or pm me. I am sure I am not the only one who would be interested though.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 07-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Charter Member

FWIW, long time fan of Parker Fly here. Plays like a dream!
Old 07-09-2016, 02:39 AM

Maybe I'm missing the point here. CF guitars have one big advantage over wood - not sensitive to humidity changes with the thin woods that make up the "box". Solid body electric guitars with solid hardwood necks are already there. (I've never humidified any electric guitar, even in very dry climates).

I freely admit to not being an electric guy though. The only one I own is a Yamaha copy of a Les Paul, and it only gets used for hand rehab exercises.
Old 07-09-2016, 06:49 AM

There were the Modulus Graphite guitars, Steinberger, and Brian Moore models with composite necks and sometimes the body as well.
Old 07-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Guest 928

Yes, solid body electrics are tough. I like the thin hollow electrics, like the Danelectro U2. I think this kind of guitar would be perfect for CF treatment.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:06 AM

Parker Fly have dabbled in CF guitars or hybrids thereof. Would love to try it!

https://www.uberchord.com/blog/10-gu...arker-guitars/
Journey Overhead OF660
Dusenberg Paloma
Relish Bloody Mary

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber