The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-25-2015, 02:34 PM

theres two Padauk’s
tonewooddatasource.weebly.com/wood-details-n-q.html

Padauk *** Pterocarpus soyauxii/dalbergioides*** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
Padauk is a bright orange or almost crimson wood when freshly cut, but oxidizes to a darker, rich purple-brown over time - although it stays redder than Indian Rosewood.* Padauk is a unique hardwood from Africa that has a bright Vermillion color when first cut. Over time, it slowly ages to a purple Rosewood color (maybe to brown). Slightly harder and heavier than Indian Rosewood it is a good back and side wood in all respects - stable, easy to work, with a strong tone. Noted luthier Dana Bourgeois has said that, “Padauk is the most promising replacement for generic Rosewood”. The lumber is readily available in larger planks, so the sets are moderately priced and exhibit good, straight grain throughout most pieces.* Huge logs are available, producing well quartered, straight grain sets. Larger sizes are sometimes available (for basses and baritones).

*Slightly harder and heavier than Indian Rosewood, it is stable, easy to work, with a strong tone. Some have found it prone to splitting, expanding and contracting above normal with humidity, and difficult to bend. Not every luthier experiences these things. Some say it is stable and bends fairly well.This is a very suitable Rosewood substitute tonally and visually.* It may be a little difficult to bend compared to the ease of bending of some of the more pliable woods. Sides in this species are slightly harder to bend and may crack in the process. BIG pores and lots of dust (which, because of its bright red color, tends to stand out), silicia and minerals.

John Kinnaird calls it *a "musical wood" and likes to use it beneath the bridges. It is rich in overtones and is not that expensive. Stable easy to work (except to bend).

African padauk is almost redundant since the other padauk from the Andaman Islands, off the coast of Indian, hasn't been exported for a number of years.
*(this is wrongly worded it's Andaman thats vv/scares)*

The African version while initially bright orange when freshly cut, oxidizes to a more subtle orange brown in time.** Its sound falls somewhere between Maple and Mahogany. Yet others say it is definitely on the rosewood side of things, nice overtones without being overbearing. Short to medium sustain. Punchy with even balance from bass to treble. Some claim that it makes "killer" sounding guitars when paired with a cedar top. Often reasonably priced.

COLOR: Heartwood is vivid reddish orange when freshly cut, darkening to reddish- or purple-brown or black over time. Sapwood is cream-colored. Very uniform in color.
GRAIN: Straight to interlocked; coarse texture.
VARIATIONS WITHIN SPECIES AND GRADES: Slight variation in color.
DIMENSIONAL STABILITY: Excellent (change coefficient .00180).
DURABILITY: Average to high durability.
SAWING/MACHINING: Saws well, but requires a slow feed rate; carbide tooling recommended. Machines easily, with some tearing of the interlocked grain.
SANDING: Sands satisfactorily.
FINISHING: Takes finishes well; some have found that water-based finishes hold color better. Has a tendency to bleed.
COMMENTS: Dermatological and respiratory allergic potential.

Janka: 1725
Old 11-25-2015, 02:56 PM

Not a builder, but I am a bass player, and you'll frequently find padauk used in top-of-the-line acoustic basses, I'm assuming for the solid low end and punchy sound.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Pretty sure African Padauk is what most of us are familiar with. I am reasonably sure I have never seen Andaman Padauk available.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Wow! Simply stunning guitars. Looks like the Kinnaird brothers have some fine looking stuff too - when I had Steve build me an OM, the choice on wood on offer was incredible.

I've only played two padauk guitars, both with Sitka tops, I think. One was a Beneteau, the other was a Berkowitz. They were both excellent, with the Berkowtiz possessing a particularly attractive tone, thgouhg both were much more plain than the examples shown here - more like the wood Bruce used. I'd seriously consider having a guitar built with padauk and, aesthetically, I particularly like the look of the "crispy bacon" stuff.

Bourgeois JOM custom - Adirondack/koa
Brook OM custom (maybe!) - Bubinga/Sitka
Lowden F 25th anniversary model - European/Brazilian
David Oddy J - Englemann/Brazilian
David Oddy mandocello - European spruce/flame maple
David Oddy A4 mandolin
Old 11-25-2015, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Pretty sure African Padauk is what most of us are familiar with. I am reasonably sure I have never seen Andaman Padauk available.
Andaman pops up now and again. The flamenco guitar maker Andy Culpepper I mentioned came across a billet of it and is very special stuff, produces a darker tone than it's African counterpart. AC said his Andaman guitars were lighter than his African Padauk instruments.

Welshboy, did you play the Berkowitz and Beneteau Padauk guitars in TAMCO? I really like the video of the Berkowitz in question. I've been meaning to pay a visit to to TAMCO at sometime. My Padauk flamenco guitar has very plain back and sides, it's nice to look at but it's no 'crispy' bacon Padauk or the flamed set Dennis K posted which is stunning.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

I've used African Padauk a number of times, all with excellent results. I think its one of the greatest "sleeper" tonewoods that doesn't get enough exposure or use. As Alan said, I think its one of the closest drop in replacements for BRW of the non-Dalbergias. I've never paired it with WRC but have used Euro spruces, Sitka and Adi pairings.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:29 PM

No question that padauk is a wonderful tone wood.
The only thing I don't like about it is that over time
it turns a brownish color that I don't care for.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

It seems surprising that although dark brown guitars are generally favored, padauks propensity for darkening into that range is seen as a negative! Interestingly, perhaps, the purple stuff some of us are showing does not seem to darken up in the same way as the florescent red varieties.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Interestingly, perhaps, the purple stuff some of us are showing does not seem to darken up in the same way as the florescent red varieties.
Yeah, it's been the bright orange stuff that I've seen turns that unattractive brown - a brown unlike any other I've seen - a kind of dirty color lacking chatoyance.
Old 11-26-2015, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I've used African Padauk a number of times, all with excellent results. I think its one of the greatest "sleeper" tonewoods that doesn't get enough exposure or use. As Alan said, I think its one of the closest drop in replacements for BRW of the non-Dalbergias. I've never paired it with WRC but have used Euro spruces, Sitka and Adi pairings.
I'm agreement Tim, it does seem to be a great sleeper option. Seems pretty cheap and readily available from FSC sources as well.
Were there many differences of the different spruces with the Padauk guitars you built? Even though I have guitars with the 3 varieties of spruce in question, I find it difficult to to articulate my observations in the differences between them in isolation but certain combinations are wonderful (Adi & Mahogany for example)

I'm not really bothered by the colour fading of my guitar's back and sides if it does change in the years to come, the delights of my guitar in question surpass any visual aesthetic.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewh2 View Post
Were there many differences of the different spruces with the Padauk guitars you built?
No, not really, no real surprises, but just what I would expect each top to sound like. Padauk is very high Q, low damping, so its possible to get a lot ... from it.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:36 PM

The orange stuff, but I've found it works well for both steel string and classical guitars. Also works very well for necks:

Old 11-26-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The orange stuff, but I've found it works well for both steel string and classical guitars. Also works very well for necks:

That is an exceptional look in my book. Love it, Charles.

Sam
Old 11-26-2015, 11:28 PM

Thanks, Sam.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

That is a handsome look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop